Mester
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Denmark

Re: How to see Waypoints

Post by Mester »

Thanks a lot for your inputs, it helps me on my way
but I must say that Garmin is very very messy and difficult to understand

I am a trained computeruser, had a Zumo590 for a year and now this brand new XT, but still I do not clearly undestand the way it works, 3 times within a month there was major updates, 7 GB maps, after one of them, the all maps where gone, so I had to do it all over again

and the feature to click the Tracks on/off the map individually is gone, again today after the last update, same happened 3 weeks ago and got fixed last update
that means that the screen is one big mess of tracks, makes the unit more or less useless, now its not even possible to click tracks on/off unless deleting the all, thats not ok with a product in this class, do I really need to downgrade

I managed to get the online Explore account synchronised with the XT, and now I can see the Waypoints in the Explorer app on the XT, but now the unit is laggy and restarts random, damm ..
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There are two systems in operation here.

One system uses Basecamp. You create routes with a few way point which you have previously named and stored, or which you have obtained from the Basecamp database. You will probably add a few other points to 'shape' the route along certain roads. Any of these can be made to alert (via points) or not alert (shaping points). Shaping points show up on a route as light blue discs.Via points show up as orange flags.

Basecamp can change the symbols used but the Zumo always uses the two symbols above plus gree flag at the start and chequered flag at end.

The other system is to do with Garmon Explore website for planning routes. This deals with straightine point to point routes, and so far does not plot a route along the shape of a road. It allows you to plot way points and assign a symbol to them, but they are not an integral part of the route. The XT can be set up to use the drive app on your smartphone to talk to the Explore website and automatically synchronise the two. So put a way point on the website and it will appear on your XT. With either 5.9 or 6.20 it started to work the other way too.

So now if you use Basecamp to put a route and waypoints onto the Zumo, they appear in the explore area of the XT. AS a result, that info gets synchronised with the website. Because the Zumo never used the symbols that were set in Basecamp that information is 'lost" . It sounds like it defaults to the green flag from what you say.

It seems as though this is still in development though, and may change. Also behaviour is different if you transfer from Basecamp to the SD card.. I don't think they Explore looks there.

Note that if you delete all waypoints from your explore account on the web or on the XT, the Xt will not be able to find any on your SD card, until you put one back into internal memory or into favourites. !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
VFRcanada
Been liked: 4 times
Canada

Post by VFRcanada »

I can go into each waypoint individually on the XT and change the waypoint from the green flag to whatever symbol I want. That just seems like a lot of work for something the an expensive unit should be able to do automatically. My old Zumo 660 could. I currently have 116 waypoints in Basecamp and I'm using the "Send Waypoints to Device" icon in Basecamp to transfer them.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - just done it. Send the waypoints from Basecamp to Zumo

Synch Explore Zumo XT with Explore account.

In Explore website, select all of the Waypoints that you want to change in the collection / Library pane on the left
(on PC, you click one, and then CTRL click the others you also want to select)

Then click on the pencil / edit icon for one of the selected waypoints and change it.
You wil get a message asking to confirm that you want to change x items.
Synch the XT with the Explore account again.
Image1.png
Image1.png (169.08 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
In the screen shot (click on it to get a larger image) I have selected the bottom 3 waypoints from the list.

-----
addendum

I've just taken a look at the GPX file exported from the Garmin Explore Website. No information about the symbol to be used is exported. So when the GPX file is imported into Basecamp, BC just uses its default flag setting.

Likewise, when the internal memory is viewed in Basecamp, there appears to be nothing that Basecamp recognises to make it change its symbol from the default blue flag,

But clearly the information is passed between Zumo and the Explore Website and back again.

But is seems that this stuff is being worked on. I noticed only recently that the Favourites screen has become the Explore list of Waypoints, with their coloured symbols. But this feature is only available once the Drive App and the Explore Account have all been linked, so I may have missed that feature before.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.