Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Power overload cut off

Post by Stu »

Does anyone know if the XT has a safety cut off feature in that if you apply too much power it auto shuts off to protect itself or will it be a case of if you apply too much voltage the XT will be toast?

I don't want to try it for obvious reasons :lol:
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Power overload cut off

Post by jfheath »

I don't know, but I suspect not since the manual refers to replacing the in-line fuse - using a new fast blow fuse. If it had in-built circuit protection, I don't think that a fast-blow fuse would be necessary.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
iankim
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by iankim »

I did read a post (viewtopic.php?p=4755#p4755)
Apparently the user was running the XT via 12v and the only problem was the battery wouldn't charge.

I wouldn't try it just incase.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have searched high and low and can't find a definitive answer!

I have an adaptor on my R1200rt with a step down transformer and it always worries me that it goes wrong and applies 12v to the XT!
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

The XT works and charges when connected to USB and USB is 5VDC so therefore the XT must require 5VDC. I imagine that there is likely to be a step down transformer (electronic type) within the XT or the XT mount to step the 12VDC from a motorcycle or car to 5VDC for use within the device.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Richard_R wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:11 am The XT works and charges when connected to USB and USB is 5VDC so therefore the XT must require 5VDC. I imagine that there is likely to be a step down transformer (electronic type) within the XT or the XT mount to step the 12VDC from a motorcycle or car to 5VDC for use within the device.
The step down is a little black box on the wiring but I don't use any of this on my bike

I have this which has its own built in step down viewtopic.php?t=1318

The worry I have is if it goes wrong and applies 12v to xt
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

Stu wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:17 am The worry I have is if it goes wrong and applies 12v to xt
Ultimately it will fry the XT's brain. The only question is how long will it take to do that.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Stu wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:17 am
Richard_R wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:11 am The XT works and charges when connected to USB and USB is 5VDC so therefore the XT must require 5VDC. I imagine that there is likely to be a step down transformer (electronic type) within the XT or the XT mount to step the 12VDC from a motorcycle or car to 5VDC for use within the device.
The step down is a little black box on the wiring but I don't use any of this on my bike

Stu, I hate to say it, but I doubt that there is any guarantee that Garmin's own power cable with built in 'little black box' couldn't fail and apply 12v to the XT.....
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

electro_handyman wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:33 pm
Stu wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:17 am

Stu, I hate to say it, but I doubt that there is any guarantee that Garmin's own power cable with built in 'little black box' couldn't fail and apply 12v to the XT.....
That was my thinking and the reason why I questioned if they had a built in overload protection

It would be interesting to know but I'm not testing it :lol:
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Stu, I here you on that one... I dislike being the guinea pig as well.
Even at work I won't allow system updates to our BAS system until someone else has done them 1st.