tracks not appearing on main screen

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

tracks not appearing on main screen

Post by Thrasherg »

Guys & Gals, I am hoping you can help me. I have 2 Garmin XT GPS's, I have looked at all the options and they seem to be setup identically, However when I import a GPX file on 1 the track immediately appears on the screen, when I import on the other, it says the file was imported and it shows the track in the preview screen, but when I go to the normal screen, nothing is visible. If I select the track and hit the GO button (to navigate, it will navigate me to and around the track). However I like to just have the tracks visible and navigate myself, do any of you have any idea why the track does not appear on the second GPS? I checked the color and it is selected to be bright red, so it should be visible? I tried a search and tried a few things but nothing worked. I am sure its something simple but I have no idea what!!

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards Gary
Thrasherg
United States of America

Re: tracks not appearing on main screen

Post by Thrasherg »

Well I guess no-one else has seen this, was hoping someone could suggest something.

Regards Gary
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hi Garry,

Sorry, I didn't see your post come in !

If you have the EXPLORE link set up, then it is probably to do with Collections. Tracks can be assigned to one or more collectios, and then Collections can be made visible on the screen.

How tracks are made visible on the XT screen changes depending on whether or not you have the EXPLORE facility set up, so describing what to do can get a bit complicated.

EXPLORE is facility for planning point to point tracks seemingly for off road use when no navigable maps are available.
It has a website and an App for ios and android. The App has been updated recently to allow tracks to be drawn along roads and footpaths. They call these 'courses'. With the aid of a smartphone App, it will automatically synch your XT with any tracks and waypoint that you create.

I use my GPS devices purely for road use these days, so although it is interesting, it offers very little to me.

app.php/ZXT-P55

The above link explains how to tell whether or not your XT is set up to link to EXPLORE.
How to set it up if you want it to be linked;
How to disable it if you don't.

And then - and this is the bit that may answer your question - it describes how to make tracks visible with and without the EXPLORE link enabled.

This page from section 6 describes how to make use of a track AND a route on the same screen:

app.php/ZXT-P50

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

Many thanks, I hadn't thought about explore, but I think you are correct, my GPS is linked to explore, but my wife's is not.. I will look at the links and see if I can get the issue resolved.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Gary
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

well that seems to have resolved the issue, I linked the GPS to Garmin explore and set everything up and now the tracks appear on the main screen!! I would never have thought explore would affect the ability of the GPS to display a track, so thank you very much for suggesting that.

Regards Gary
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Its not just tracks - certain types of routes (created in Explore) and waypoints can be added to collections - then collections can be made visible on the map, or can be made invisible.

And simply by putting items into certain collections enables others to have access to them. You have to set up one or more of your collections to be visible to others - using explore.

But if you have no use for it, it can be turned off easily. Just follow the instructions in the link I gave above.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

hi all,
for info I found this is out, if you already know, I'll get my coat, :)
I recently had Ian issue related to the explore app. I like the idea of having the route and track showing while navigating a pre-planned route via basecamp. Some weeks ago I followed the instructions from jfheath (excellent sir) and stopped the link to explore app and all was good.
I recently set up 2 trips, to and around the Lake District. imported both route and track.

I could not for the life of me get the choice in the menu to "show each individual track on the map", and, I was unable to have the route and track showing at the same time.

today I was doing some playing and was just about to write a question on here, on how to get that choice to show track on map. but I had a thought, I then went on to, main screen> where to> explore and weirdly, Explore app had re-linked itself, this was without any input from me.

so even though I had reset and unlinked the explore app through the deep menu, somehow it had set the app up again. I know this is not vitally important, but I thought I would let you know,
it might be worth a periodical check on the explore app.
to achieve, we must first attempt
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Once you have set up the Explore feature on the XT once, it remembers all of the settings. If you 'reset the explore database' to effectively switch explore off - it still remembers those settings.

Subsequently if you go to Where To -> Explore - you will get the 3 icon screen to set it up again, but you don't have to do anything other than accept, and it all works again. It is very quick, easy and painless. And possibly easy to do without realising.

But I will keep an eye open for that behaviour in case it was something else. Do you have wifi updates enabled on your XT ?

But to address the real issue - if you have explore set up, you can control which tracks are visible by putting them into collections, and you can control the visibility from there in a similar way to controlling the track visibility when Explore is not set up.

fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

hi yes I do have wifi updates set up, didn't realise I could switch it off, not that it worries me anyway.

since I deactivated explore I have not done, main screen->where to->explore. I know this, as I have not used the where to app until the recent uploaded trips in the aforementioned post. which obviously was, main-> where to->trip planner

I haven't reset it, or done anything out of the ordinary

it was for this reason that I wrote that post, as it did seem a bit peculiar that a deactivated app had reactivated itself without input. so it was just aheads up for people to keep an eye on.
cheers for you reply anyway
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

an update with reference to explore app on zumo.

it has been a few weeks since I cleared the explore data base through the deep menu, I decided to check again today and low and behold explore had set itself up again.

so I went into the deep menu and reset once again, and it was all fine. I was having a play and checked my favourites and a box came up informing that "favourites are synced with explore via the drive app". Fair enough I thought, thanks for the info.

I then went back to:- where to>explore and explore had again set itself up again. this was obviously something to do with the drive app on my phone. so I decided to close down my drive app on my phone. and try again with explore. at this point, it had not set itself up.

However, I again clicked favourites, of which I have none, info box read "no data available" which I was aware of. I then went back to the explore and yes, it had set itself up. further investigation required.

I played some more and it still set itself up, so I tried switching wifi off. it seemed to work, however, if you start the drive app, on your phone, explore will set itself up.

The obvious work around, is to switch off BT connection between phone and zumo, but that would then not allow headsets etc.
perhaps one could delete the drive app completely and then the BT connection would be just that, a BT connection.

what does the drive app give, that is a must have?

that's my findings thus far.