Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Re: Routes (SD card or XT )

Post by jfheath »

A couple of other observations.

If the route is on the SD Card, then you can delete the appropriate Routex.gpx file to get rid of the route. You don't need to reformat the SD card. But you do need a computer and a USB cable (or a device that can read/edit the SD card).
(You may need to delete Current.gpx as well - but I haven't tested that properly as yet. My current thinking is that it isn't necessary, but I may be wrong).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hi Russ

I've finally got round to looking at this in more detail. My earlier findings did not nail the reason for this behaviour, and your findings were not quite right. I've started a new thread here which describes precisely what is going on with the lost facility for re-importing routes.

Basically, when you transfer routes from Basecamp to the Zumo XT, they are not added to the previous set of transferred routes. A brand new set is created, and any previous transferred routes are overwritten - The routes in the Zumo still exist, but the older transfers are then not available to be reimported. So if you want all of your routes to be available for importing, you have to transfer all of the routes in one go.

This will affect how you organise your routes in Basecamp, to make that process easier to manage. If you do this, the routes will never disappear from the list of routes that can be imported. You can delete and reimport as often as you wish. Until you forget and accidentally transfer a single route from Basecamp. That will get rid of all of them.

The link to the new thread explaining this in more detail is here.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1113

I'll go back and annotate my previous contributions, because although the observations were correct, my reasons were wrong.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Also see the following Thread which has a Zumo 595LM compatibiliy resolution; ;)

viewtopic.php?t=1661
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

rbentnail wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:08 am
jfheath wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:52 am How do you get the route onto the SD card ?
See Below

eg - is the card in the Zumo at the time ?
Yes, the SD card is never removed from the device for this process

Do you use drag and drop from within Basecamp
Yes, that's exactly how I do it

Do you use Send to device in Basecamp
No, never

Do you use Export in Basecamp
No, never

Or some other method?
No
Keep in mind this is for the 595 but I imagine the XT might be the same. Some XT user testing should be done. I'm going to start from the very beginning:

- Buy the appropriate SD card. A 64 gb works in the 595, don't know about larger.
- Device off. Insert card into the device. Turn device on. Device prompts formatting, say yes. When done turn device off.
- Start Base Camp. Let it completely boot up, I give it a couple minutes. It's really slow. Then plug device into computer with a usb cable. Again, let it completely boot. Takes a while.
- You should now see an added Memory Card/User Data under the device properties.

Base Camp Memory.JPG

- Simply drag and drop your route into the User Data. No need to make a file folder, the device does that for you. Just drag and drop, that's all.
- Import the route for use, just like always. Delete when no longer needed. Re-import if you want. Again, XT user testing should be done to see.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's it. I drag and drop routes to the User Data. Note that "custom" waypoints don't work this way. I say "custom" b/c let's say I make a waypoint of a gas station to stop at. It won't show up on the device if put in User Data. Drag and drop waypoints into Internal Storage. It will then be saved in the Favorites or Saved Places on the device.
I usually create routes in BC with it's installed Waypoint Symbols to choose from and rename them. I just ordered the Zumo XT and would like to start sending all future routes with re-named Waypoints to an installed SD Card on the XT. Please correct me if I'm wrong, renaming Garmins installed Waypoints will transfer with the route but, if I create a custom Waypoint other than Garmins, it will not transfer with the route. I'd like to add, I use a MacBook Pro M1 Max. Thanks
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

In my experience, the Zumo XT does not handle waypoints and custom icons like any other Garmin Product I have owned (GPSMap60csx, Zumo 660). I was incredibly frustrated to find that when I created a "track" in basecamp and exported the GPX file to my Zumo XT, the waypoints and their custom icons did not display on the screen when the "track" was set to visible.

I finally figured out how to get the waypoints/POIs to show on the screen, but then they all had generic green hearts for icons. Which did me no good for marking trail features like water crossings, steep inclines/declines, R/R crossings, etc., which is important in an offroad track.

Ultimately I had to set up and Explore Account and send my GPX files to Explore for transfer to my Zumo XT via Garmin Drive. When doing that, a new collection is created, and all of the custom features I had set up in Basecamp transferred. When the "Collection" is visible on screen, the track, and all custom icons for waypoints/POIs are now visible on screen. Labels don't display, but the icon does.

I've learned how to adapt to this unit, but it is very different from every other Garmin product, that handles tracks, that I have used.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:04 pm In my experience, the Zumo XT does not handle waypoints and custom icons like any other Garmin Product I have owned (GPSMap60csx, Zumo 660). I was incredibly frustrated to find that when I created a "track" in basecamp and exported the GPX file to my Zumo XT, the waypoints and their custom icons did not display on the screen when the "track" was set to visible.

I finally figured out how to get the waypoints/POIs to show on the screen, but then they all had generic green hearts for icons. Which did me no good for marking trail features like water crossings, steep inclines/declines, R/R crossings, etc., which is important in an offroad track.

Ultimately I had to set up and Explore Account and send my GPX files to Explore for transfer to my Zumo XT via Garmin Drive. When doing that, a new collection is created, and all of the custom features I had set up in Basecamp transferred. When the "Collection" is visible on screen, the track, and all custom icons for waypoints/POIs are now visible on screen. Labels don't display, but the icon does.

I've learned how to adapt to this unit, but it is very different from every other Garmin product, that handles tracks, that I have used.
Thanks for all the great information. In BC, I always just created routes and used Garmins installed waypoints in which I renamed the majority of. As for exporting them to the 595LM internal memory, I did so by using the send to device arrow in the upper menu bar. Once imported / calculated into the 595LM, routes with the waypoints were all intact. At this point, I'm good to go. I have always done it this way which worked quite simple without any hiccups. I've never created Tracks but, now it sound like Garmin took the XT and stepped backward with it. I'm glad Garmin Explore helped you somewhat. I've read that Explore can be more of a P.I.A. than not, suggesting not to even load it. Personally, I have never used it so I can't give any opinion. I want to keep creating routes in the same manner as mentioned but, would like to send everything to an installed SD Card for the Zumo XT. That sounds like it may take some loops to get around as well. My XT is due to arrive today...... Let the fun begin..... LOL :roll: Thanks again.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

You will still be able to transfer files to the XT in the same way you have in the past (A Mac makes this a little more complex because the XT in an Android based device - and they don't play well with Apple devices).

The tricky part is how the XT handles waypoints and custom icons and displays them on the screen.

The XT is a really powerful device, and even possesses the ability to take a "track" (which doesn't support turn-by-turn voice guidance) and convert it to a "trip" (that is true to the created "track", but now supports turn-by-turn voice guidance).

I find it to be different, but more capable, than my previous Garmin devices. It takes a while to learn the tricks that work for you (some people hate Explore), but ultimately, I have been able to get the XT to do anything any other Garmin I have owned would do, plus things that they wouldn't.

All packaged under the best screen ever produced on a Garmin Motorcycle-compatible device.

The best advice I can give you is to not expect it to work the same as your previous devices for route and track creation tasks with waypoints/POIs.

Be open to learning new things, read stuff on this and other forums, and ask questions. I haven't found anything that I wanted to do to be impossible, just different...

If all you ever plan to do is punch in a destination, and let the GPS tell you how to get there (depending on your routing preferences), and to automatically recalculate your intended path if you wander off course, it will do that just like any other GPS. It you want advanced features and control as the end user, you will have to learn some new things!
danham
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:38 pm
Thanks for all the great information. In BC, I always just created routes and used Garmins installed waypoints in which I renamed the majority of. As for exporting them to the 595LM internal memory, I did so by using the send to device arrow in the upper menu bar. Once imported / calculated into the 595LM, routes with the waypoints were all intact. At this point, I'm good to go. I have always done it this way which worked quite simple without any hiccups. I've never created Tracks but, now it sound like Garmin took the XT and stepped backward with it. I'm glad Garmin Explore helped you somewhat. I've read that Explore can be more of a P.I.A. than not, suggesting not to even load it. Personally, I have never used it so I can't give any opinion. I want to keep creating routes in the same manner as mentioned but, would like to send everything to an installed SD Card for the Zumo XT. That sounds like it may take some loops to get around as well. My XT is due to arrive today...... Let the fun begin..... LOL :roll: Thanks again.
Paula,

I find it a lot easier and faster to mount the SD card on my iMac and transfer or copy or drag my Basecamp routes to a GPX folder on it (inside a Garmin folder) and then pop the card back into my XT. This avoids so many issues, ranging from Android file problems to routes being overwritten in the XT's internal storage and more. It lets you import routes when you need them and is, in my opinion, far superior to dealing with a connected XT.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:31 pm You will still be able to transfer files to the XT in the same way you have in the past

Awesome!

(A Mac makes this a little more complex because the XT in an Android based device - and they don't play well with Apple devices).

This is where I miss my PC and Map Source.... I've made complex maps with tons of waypoints for cross country trips without any issues with my older Garmin 276c. For me, stepping into BC was like going backwards to the 90's due to the simplicity of Map Source. I really miss it in comparison. I've since learned to live with BC but, not happily. Worst part is that it's sooo glitchy on a Mac. A workaround for this is to use BC in 3D map view which works fairly well.

The tricky part is how the XT handles waypoints and custom icons and displays them on the screen.

The XT is a really powerful device, and even possesses the ability to take a "track" (which doesn't support turn-by-turn voice guidance) and convert it to a "trip" (that is true to the created "track", but now supports turn-by-turn voice guidance).

I'll have to dive into that and check it out.

I find it to be different, but more capable, than my previous Garmin devices. It takes a while to learn the tricks that work for you (some people hate Explore), but ultimately, I have been able to get the XT to do anything any other Garmin I have owned would do, plus things that they wouldn't.

All packaged under the best screen ever produced on a Garmin Motorcycle-compatible device.

That's great! Good to know as well.

The best advice I can give you is to not expect it to work the same as your previous devices for route and track creation tasks with waypoints/POIs.
Be open to learning new things, read stuff on this and other forums, and ask questions. I haven't found anything that I wanted to do to be impossible, just different...

Great advice for sure... I won't / don't hesitate in asking questions if I'm in oblivia.... LOL. I've always been one to ask someone with experience first if needed before screwing something up.

If all you ever plan to do is punch in a destination, and let the GPS tell you how to get there (depending on your routing preferences), and to automatically recalculate your intended path if you wander off course, it will do that just like any other GPS. It you want advanced features and control as the end user, you will have to learn some new things!

I like routing all my trips with waypoints along the way. It's naturally part of my planning a trip which is quite enjoyable. It does take some time but, I'd rather plot my route out anyday than using aoto routing. I only use auto routing if I'm in a hurry at the last minute to get to point A to B. Thank you for all your input, appreciate it.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

danham wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:02 pm
PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:38 pm
Paula,

I find it a lot easier and faster to mount the SD card on my iMac and transfer or copy or drag my Basecamp routes to a GPX folder on it (inside a Garmin folder) and then pop the card back into my XT. This avoids so many issues, ranging from Android file problems to routes being overwritten in the XT's internal storage and more. It lets you import routes when you need them and is, in my opinion, far superior to dealing with a connected XT.

-dan
Sounds like a great easy way to go! I will definitely try that out... I have a question if you don't mind; Since I want my routes on the SD Card, do I need to have Garmins Maps loaded on it as well or does it communicate with the loaded maps on the Zumo XT? Thank you for your input along with your Mac experience with this GPS.