When following a route, what is the top right mile indicator?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

When following a route, what is the top right mile indicator?

Post by Peobody »

When following a route there is a miles indicator showing in the top right of the screen, just above the bottom to skip a waypoint. I am hoping someone can tell me what its purpose is.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: When following a route, what is the top right mile indicator?

Post by jfheath »

We might need a screen shot for that question - but if it is the column of three buttons on the right which include 'skip' the next route points, then those buttons can be configured? I think that you long press one of them. I only played with it once - it was a feature that was added in a firmware update. I dont remember a mileage being one of them. But then, I dont remember a lot of stuff these days.

Sorry I haven't got my xt here to check this out - but look at my link here of firmware updates. Scroll down to v5.90
The screenshot describes the feature near the bottom of the screen shot, and how to change it.

viewtopic.php?p=7892#p7892

The other display of figures - the data display - also has configurable buttons, but they don't appear on the screen at the same time as skip. Its either one set, or the other. Not both.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have been playing with the GPS from my recliner and think I have figured out that it is some sort of scale of miles because the value changes with screen zooming. While riding, I see it change but don't notice a change in zoom. Perhaps the commonly seen change from ".8 mi" to "1.2 mi" is not significant enough for a zoom change to be noticeable. It is not visible when the map perspective is 3D.

2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah. I've never noticed that in that position before. But i often have the data display on the right visible.
Thanks for working it out and feeding back !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

Peobody wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:31 pm I have been playing with the GPS from my recliner and think I have figured out that it is some sort of scale of miles because the value changes with screen zooming. While riding, I see it change but don't notice a change in zoom. Perhaps the commonly seen change from ".8 mi" to "1.2 mi" is not significant enough for a zoom change to be noticeable. It is not visible when the map perspective is 3D.

I once briefly wondered why the scale wasn't there in the 3D view and then I realized that there's no way for it to be accurate due to the perspective of the 3D view.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

Peobody wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:31 pm I have been playing with the GPS from my recliner and think I have figured out that it is some sort of scale of miles because the value changes with screen zooming. While riding, I see it change but don't notice a change in zoom. Perhaps the commonly seen change from ".8 mi" to "1.2 mi" is not significant enough for a zoom change to be noticeable. It is not visible when the map perspective is 3D.
Just for clarification it is the map scale and the distance it shows it the distance that line below numbers is between the ends.

..Tom