Hide track from map

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Hide track from map

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Way too complicated to try to do it that way...

Garmin just needs to re-enable the ability to show or hide an item at the object level. It's really a simple solution if they just fix that one thing...

Right now, loading a GPX file for an event into one collection is a simple wireless process. When sharing GPX files at events, no one has the time to spend organizing every track that way.

You should be able to:
1. show up at an organized ride
2. download the GPX file and place it in a unique collection for that event
3. select which items in that collection show on the map
4. ride the event
5. go home...

It doesn't have to be so complicated if they just fix that one small thing...

I just want the ability to turn items in a collection on or off.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Never mind. I tried !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I have no doubt you could do it that way, and I appreciate your effort, but it shouldn't be that difficult...
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Post by b1324 »

jfheath wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 am To get rid of the link with the Explore website on the XT.

Main Screen -> View Map -> Tap Speed button, bottom left.

Now hold down the circular speed display top centre for ten seconds until the screen changes.

Then select

Developer Tests and Tools (next to bottom)
Reset Explore Database (next to bottom)

Nothing seems to happen. Thats OK.

Go back to the main menu.

Now if you go to Where To ? -> Explore It doesn't take you anywhere except to the process of setting it up again. Don't do it !! Proving that it is no longer connected.
I tried and this solved my problem, many thanks for this. I had to restart the device afterwards so that tracks were not seen on the map.
I am going to come back to this in the near future because I have a need to understand how to use tracks in the most user friendly and easy way possible.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad that worked.

With explore disabled , you can turn on and off track visibility for each track individually in the same place that you set the width and colour for a track.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

jfheath wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:58 am Glad that worked.

With explore disabled , you can turn on and off track visibility for each track individually in the same place that you set the width and colour for a track.
Thanks for lending your expertise to this thread. I was also tearing out my hair trying to get the XT to show/hide individual tracks. Resetting Explore per your instructions did the trick. But a few weird (or maybe not) things happened. All my tracks disappeared. Was that supposed to happen? And I had previously created several Collections on Explore and those are gone, too. Is that also expected?

Like the other forum poster you were trying to help, I want to have a few Collections, each with several tracks inside it. But nothing more complicated than that. I can live without Collections if I have to, but it would be a nice organizational tool if it was still on the XT after the Explore was disconnected.

Thanks!

EDIT: After digging further I see that Collections can only be created in Explore but you can then add tracks to them in XT. If I re-connect (or re-link?) Explore with the XT, will the Collections I create in Explore (even if empty) be added to the XT? That way I can add tracks to them as I see fit.(?)

Also, I "reset" Explore previously. I'm guessing that's why everything disappeared.(?) How do I connect or re-link Explore to get the Collection headings re-installed on the XT? And then I want to un-link from Explore to get my "show on map" toggle back, right?

The more I type the more I confuse myself. Sheesh!
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'll get back to you on this.

You are right - collections only exist when Explore is enabled.
Whether they will return or not - I think that may depend on whether you have set up you account at Explore.Garmin.com If you have, it will download them from there.
If you haven't then it may be the case that when you reconnect, the XT will find the ones that were there anyway -
it stores them in an area that 'XT-without-Explore' doesn't know about. I don't know where it stores that data, but its not in the normal places.

When you reconnect - just got to Where To->Explore, the process is quite rapid - it remembers everything that you entered before.

Give it a go. There's nowt to lose.

BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:22 pm
Give it a go. There's nowt to lose.
Oh, I've heard that before! :lol:

Actually, I got the empty Collections listings to import. Yay! But how do I un-link again from the Explore? I don't see anything obvious. (And obvious is all I'm good at.)

I don't want to "reset" Explore again, do I? I'm afraid I will lose all my tracks...again.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Collections only Exist if you link to Explore. If you don't have Explore set up, the XT knows nothing about collections.

You will have to check this out for yourself. I've just done this once. This is what I found

Data that was on the XT before Explore was set up will remain if Explore is reset.
Data that is aadded to the XT after explore was set up will not be available after the database has been reset.

(Just now, I set up Explore then dragged a GPX track file onto the XT which was connected by USB cable. Put it in Internal Storage / Garmin /GPX.
It was available in the tracks menu
Then reset the Explore datbase on the XT
The track was no longer available, and the gpx file on the XT had been deleted.

I suspect that it wouldn't delete the file if it was on the SD card - but I may be wrong about that - I haven't tried it.

But since collections are a feature of the Explore link, if you delete the link to Explore, collections are no longer available.

BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

I had hoped I could have it ALL. Looks like I will reset my XT unit again so I can at least turn off my tracks when not needed.

It's a pity that Garmin will not allow any real track/route organization tools within the XT unit. I wonder what folks do? I suppose I will come up with a track naming process to keep things grouped.

Thanks for your help!