Hide track from map

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Hide track from map

Post by b1324 »

Hi. I was testing with importing track to Zumo XT and showing it onto the map. It works perfectly. Only now I always see that exact track and there is no "normal" option to disable it. I can go to map layers and disable all uncategorized data and then it's gone. But when I try to follow some other track it is not show in the map. I have to go to layers and enable uncategorized data to see it.
Isn't there a way to select follow track option to see only selected track or use route planner to follow route only (wihout seeing the last track you selected)?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Hide track from map

Post by jfheath »

Yes.

Option 1.

Apps -> Tracks-> Select a track-> Spanner -> Show on Map (or not).

If 'Show on Map is not available, then I think you have linked your XT to your account at Explore.garmin.com
If you haven't got a clue what I am talking about, then you may have set it up by accident. To get rid of it, see the last part of this reply. Option 3

Option 2

If you have set up an Explore account at Garmin, you need to go to the explore website, show the map and create a handful of collections. I have 5 which I have called JFH Coll #1, JFH Coll # 2 etc etc.

These are empty.

That is all that you need to do. Let your XT synchronise.

Then on the XT, you can add various items to any or all of your collections.
eg Where to -> Explore -> Collections -> Choose one of your new collections.

Click on the spanner -> Edit Collection -> and you get a list showing tracks, waypoints, routes etc.
Click any one eg Tracks. Select the tracks you want to add and save. This takes you back to the screen showing the contents of the collection that you clicked. You can now add other items if you wish.

Or back out. Click on the collection again, it shows you what you have in that collection.

If you go to Where To -> Explore -> Click the spanner -> Collections on Map
That screen allows you to see the contents of a collection on the map. Tick which ever you want.

Anything that you haven't put into a collection is in the default 'Unorganised' colection.
Anything can be put into any number of collections.

Option 3
To get rid of the link with the Explore website.

Main Screen -> View Map -> Tap Speed button, bottom left.

Now hold down the circular speed display top centre for ten seconds until the screen changes.

Developer Tests and Tools (next to bottom)
Reset Explore Database (next to bottom)

Nothing seems to happen. Thats OK. Back to the main menu.
Now if you display a track, you get the option to show it on the map without bothering about collections.
As in Option 1

If you want to get the link to Explore website back again, tap Where To -> explore and follwo the prompts. It will have remembered your settings.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I have my XT set up to link with Explore and love the convenience of wireless transfer of routes, and the grouping of tracks and waypoints for a weekend motorcycle event, and it was the only way I found that I could have custom icons for waypoints for tracks, and to get it so those icons displayed when I was showing the tracks.

I wish they would enable the ability, within a collection, to display a track, or not, rather than it being an all or nothing thing. Keeping tracks for a specific motorcycle event all located in a collection is great. However, there may be tracks for Friday, tracks for Saturday, or AM vs. PM tracks for a given day at an event. I'd like to be able to control, at the track level, within a collection, which tracks display, and which tracks don't.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 pm I wish they would enable the ability, within a collection, to display a track, or not,
They do.

Read my option 2.

Where to -> explore -> collections -> spanner -> collections on map.

You have to set up your collections on the explore site first though.
And add tracks etc to your collections either on the explore site or on the XT.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Post by b1324 »

Uf jfhealth, that is a reply one can only hope on getting :) I will need some time to try this and give you feedback.

I can confirm that I have my device connected to Garmin Explorer, but I must also confess that I never used it for real. Not really sure what to use it for actually :) Do we have any tutorials or videos or something that will explain what Garmin Explorer is, how it fits in the arhitecture of satnav's, how replacable it is with Basecamp, etc.? When to use trip planner in Zumo XT, when to use Basecamp, when to use Explore.... Quick searching on google didn't find any useful information, perhaps someone could create new forum for Garmin Explore in this page and we start filling it with content.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If you do not use Explore - I recommend that you disconnect your Zumo XT from it for the time being.

To get rid of the link with the Explore website on the XT.

Main Screen -> View Map -> Tap Speed button, bottom left.

Now hold down the circular speed display top centre for ten seconds until the screen changes.

Then select

Developer Tests and Tools (next to bottom)
Reset Explore Database (next to bottom)

Nothing seems to happen. Thats OK.

Go back to the main menu.

Now if you go to Where To ? -> Explore It doesn't take you anywhere except to the process of setting it up again. Don't do it !! Proving that it is no longer connected.

-------------------------------

Now if you select a track, and clcik the spanner icon (top left on a landscape screen), you have the option to show each track on the map or not.

You don't have to worry about collections. Save that for later when (if) you want to start using Explore.
At present, I prefer not to. I just like to know what it does. Most of the time my XT has the link to Explore turned off.

-------------------------------

Regarding useful information - I have just about finished a lengthy document on all sorts of aspects of the XT which can't be found anywhere else, and I'm about half way through converting it for this forum. It'll take a couple of weeks though.

TripleThreat719
United States of America

jfheath wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:32 pm
TripleThreat719 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 pm I wish they would enable the ability, within a collection, to display a track, or not,
They do.

Read my option 2.

Where to -> explore -> collections -> spanner -> collections on map.

You have to set up your collections on the explore site first though.
And add tracks etc to your collections either on the explore site or on the XT.
Not what I am looking for. By doing that, you are effectively removing that track from the collection, from a list of every track you have loaded on the device. Then you have to remember which tracks were in the collection to put them back in there to get them to display with the collection.

That's a jacked-up mess.

You should just be able to turn a track off or on within the collection without having to remove it from the collection. Whoever designed that is clearly not a user. You should just be able to open the collection and choose what you want to display on the map within that collection, rather than having to remove or re-add the item to the collection to get it to not show or show on the map.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:50 pm Not what I am looking for. By doing that, you are effectively removing that track from the collection, from a list of every track you have loaded on the device.
Hmm. My answer was taking your previous comment into account:
TripleThreat719 wrote: I can confirm that I have my device connected to Garmin Explorer, but I must also confess that I never used it for real. Not really sure what to use it for actually
If you don't use it, I find it just gets in the way. I disable explore unless I want to use it for something. Generally speaking, it doesn't offer anything that I want.

But - there are a couple of handy ways of dealing with collections on the Xt

You can look at a track, see what collections it belongs to, and add it to one or more collections
You can look at a collection, see what is in it, add add things to it.

The same track can end up being in more than one collection.

Or you can organise your collections on the explore website. Whatever you change on the XT is synchronised with the Website. And vice versa.

It would be very easy to get confused about what is where with collections. I used them this Summer. I put one track in a collection named for each day of the ride. I put all of the tracks into another collection for the entire 11 day trip. I turned on just one collection at a time.

I did something similar with waypoints, using the same collections. The smaller icons are nice, but they get masked by the standard Via Point flags !

I am hoping that Explore is work in progress at Garmin and facilities will improve.

TripleThreat719
United States of America

I hope so too...

Here's my reason for wanting to control what, within a collection displays without having to remove it from the collection...

I frequently attend organized dual sport, adventure, or sport touring motorcycle events. I am also a frequent user of the ADVRider forum, where many of these events are advertised and tracks are posted. The tracks are put together by members of the riding community and posted on the forum for download. As a result, I have zero control over the naming conventions used by the originator of the track, so finding a track that goes with a particular collection, in a list of all tracks is impossible...

However, it is very attractive to me to be able to have each event, and all of it's associated tracks and waypoints in a collection, named for the event...

For example:

Loose Nut 2020
Loose Nut 2021

HNF 2020 (Hoosier National Forest)
HNF 2021

RRS 2020 (Red River Scramble)
RRS 2021

RCR 2020 (River City Ride)
RCR 2021

Each of these collections contain multiple tracks, typically broken up in a variety of ways, and often include Advanced Sections with more difficult off-road obstacles. They are also often held in similar areas of the state and each year the event is held it may, or may not, re-use some of the same same roads/trails as the previous year (so turning off the associated waypoints is a big benefit here, as in any given year, the obstacles may have changed - helps avoid clutter in the screen), but break off in different directions. Additionally, the waypoints for these events often contain warnings that label the water crossings, bridges, steep downhill sections, or other hazards that are nice to be aware of.

Often times these events are multi-day events, and the tracks are organized for Friday AM, Friday PM, Saturday AM, Saturday PM, and Sunday AM. and sometimes the tracks overlap in certain sections. Sometimes there are multiple tracks for Saturday AM, etc. Riding the same tracks allows the event organizer to run a sweep team to make sure everyone makes it out, and also allows tracks that run through private property, that we have permission to use, to be placed on a specific day/time of the event.

Having the ability to keep these all located in one collection is a great benefit, but having to display every track at once can cause a lot of confusion about what to follow when tracks overlap.

This seems like a very simple change to the programming of the device, but would make a HUGE difference in use at events like this.

I hope that Garmin will take this into consideration as they continue to tweak the software.

I have submitted this suggestion to Garmin for their consideration.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - so I think that you can can do that already/

Create a number of collections - eg

Everything: to put in everything

for the event: Loose Nut 2020, Loose Nut 2021, HNF 2020, .....
Type of Land: Private / Public

etc

Put Every Track and their Waypoints in Everything.
In addition put the tracks and waypoints that are to be run in the Loose Nut 2020 event into that.
Ditto for the other events.
Put the tracks run on private land into the Private Collection, the others into the public collection.
You can set up the collections for particular dates / days - although you may want to limit these to those for one year.
eg
2020 Fri AM
2020 Fri PM

And so on.

So you might have Track1 in the Everything Collection, the Public Land collection, the Fri am colelction, Loose Nut 2020.
And Track 23 in Everything, Private and Sun am, Private, Loose Nut 2020, Loose Nut 2021

So you turn on whichever collection you want to see. And it will show everything that belongs to that collection, whether or not it belongs to other collections as well.

The problem would be to remember to turn on just one collection - if you organise it like this.
So if you wanted to see all of the tracks that are in the Loose Nut 2021 event, make that collection visible. Not the others.

In this way the same track can be put into every single event

v5.90 increased the number of tracks that can be visible at a time to more than 15. (They didn't say what the limit is now)

It is probably easier to organise all of this on Explore - but the XT isn't bad at handling collections once it has the name and the tracks / waypoints set up on Explore.

It would make it easier to organise if you made the name of the Waypoint link in with the name of the track that it belongs to.

If you end up with too many collections - just delete the collection. It doesn't delete the tracks and waypoints that were in it, becasue they will always belong to another collection - even if it is just the Uncategorised one.