How to see Waypoints

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Mester
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Denmark

How to see Waypoints

Post by Mester »

Going on a trip, my friend send me a GPX file with several tracks and routes and a lot of waypoints with notes.
I can see everything in Basecamp (on Mac) and in GPX Viewer, but when I import the file to my XT, (via Basecamp) I can’t see the waypoints anywhere on the track or on the map, what am I missing ?
thanks
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Re: How to see Waypoints

Post by Milu23771 »

You can import that GPX into Explore, with all its Waypoints, synchronize the Zumo with the Explore site, and then Settings / maps and vehicle / map layers / collections, check the specific collection. Also in Pain you can assign different icons to Waypoints, which will then be displayed on the XT display
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Do you mean Waypoints ? - ie stored points that will appear in your Favourites
Or do you mean points that define the route ?

Garmin makes a very clear distinction between waypoints and other types of routing points, which affects how the route behaves on your Zumo.

I would need to know what you mean before I can answer the question accurately. So would anyone else.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Mester
Denmark

Post by Mester »

Milu23771 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:19 pm You can import that GPX into Explore, with all its Waypoints, synchronize the Zumo with the Explore site, and then Settings / maps and vehicle / map layers / collections, check the specific collection. Also in Pain you can assign different icons to Waypoints, which will then be displayed on the XT display
Explorer is new for me, just logged in, the file is to lagre 24mb, tired another file, but how do I synchronize?
Mester
Denmark

Post by Mester »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm Do you mean Waypoints ? - ie stored points that will appear in your Favourites
Or do you mean points that define the route ?

Garmin makes a very clear distinction between waypoints and other types of routing points, which affects how the route behaves on your Zumo.

I would need to know what you mean before I can answer the question accurately. So would anyone else.
when in basecamp the window says waypoints, I would like them to show up on the map ;)
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 21.27.27.png
Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 21.27.27.png (724.33 KiB) Viewed 8443 times
Mester
Denmark

Post by Mester »

Milu23771 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:19 pm , check the specific collection.
what specific collection do you mean?
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

The XT is very frustrating with Waypoints or Points of Interest that are built into a GPX file. On every other Garmin Device I have owned, when you import a gpx file of a track that contains waypoints, when you make the track visible on the screen, the waypoints just show up. The XT treats them differently. Once you learn the deal with Explore and collections, it's manageable, but different from previous units...
Mester
Denmark

Post by Mester »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 pm The XT is very frustrating with Waypoints or Points of Interest that are built into a GPX file. On every other Garmin Device I have owned, when you import a gpx file of a track that contains waypoints, when you make the track visible on the screen, the waypoints just show up. The XT treats them differently. Once you learn the deal with Explore and collections, it's manageable, but different from previous units...

it's manageable, but how?
and how to synchronize Explorer with XT?
thanks
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Mester wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:50 pm when in basecamp the window says waypoints, I would like them to show up on the map ;)
Because the gpx file 'came from a friend' - I had no idea what sort of point it would be. May people use the term 'waypoint' to refer to any point on a route. (As do some mapping programs, and some tech support people in my experience !).

True Garmin Waypoints (also referred to as Favourites in the XT) can be made to show up on the XT map using the following menu:

Settings->Map&Vehicle->Map Layers->Collections->Choose what you want to appear on the map.

also

Where To->Explore->Spanner Icon top left->Collections on Map-> to get to the same menu as above

These are linked to your Garmin Explore Account.

----

Is that screen shot that you included what you get on an Apple when you display the route details ?

We don't have that on the PC. We have one that is possible the PC version - but our is headed Via Point - and that heading isn't an accurate description, as some of the points listed are not Via Points ! I have come not to trust the programmer's terminology.
However, if your gpx file has come Via Garmin Explore, then it doesn't deal with any points other than Waypoints - so one of the above two methods should work.

The PC route list screen.

Route Detail.png
Route Detail.png (50.36 KiB) Viewed 8392 times
-------

Watch out for the 'Favourites Gotcha' - if you put routes, tracks and Garmin Waypoint onto the memory card. If there are no waypoints stored in favourites (in internal memory), then the XT will not find any waypoints on the memory card. I think Explore transfers things to internal memory.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
VFRcanada
Been liked: 4 times
Canada

Post by VFRcanada »

I've been watching this thread since I had the same issue. I got the waypoints to show up now but their symbols have all changed to a green flag. How do I keep them the same as I have them in Basecamp?