Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: regretting buying the zumo xt

Post by electro_handyman »

pangasuis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:37 pm
...so i did un tick all the maps in my settings which removed my postcode because i installed a map to basecamp and i thought after installing it to my sat nav i didnt need all the other maps so anyway i reset that and now the postcode is back again......
What map did you install. Is it still installed.
I'd strongly recommend that in this beginning trouble shooting stage that you remove anything you have added and set the XT back to factory stock settings. Only the stock mapset.
Then the brain trust here can help get you sorted and on your way riding.
I've always had decent luck searching addresses in a Garmin mapset, yet I've used OSM maps in my older units and the OSM maps do not have an adequate address search database at all, almost non-existent.
pangasuis
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

thanks, i think its faulty, iv noticed a few times now that the voice commands dont always work and today it only told me once in the journy to take next left and on the way back it randomly told me 2 times which way to go and for the rest of the ride it didnt tell me anything. the only noise it makes is for speed camaras, i checked to make sure it wasnt muted and i checked if the voice was activated in settings. i tryed to restart the route and wen i did it told me to take the next right and that was it for the rest of the ride. ill try to reset it and remove the map.

also when it gets a thin layer of dust on the screen it starts to activate the menu at the bottom right or the back button like im pressing the screen but im not. its like im pressing the button rapidly over and over again, i had to wipe the screen clean of the dust to stop it going to the settings or menus. is this normal?
pangasuis
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

ok iv factory reset my device and gone threw setup again.

i want to put the map from my device to my pc so i followed the utube video that simoncrew posted were he uses garmin express to install map to pc.

i goto the device in express and wait for it to check updates and then click on map details.

i click options on the Map: full covgerage of europe 2021.30.

it then only shows me reinstall map and not install to pc like in the video.

im confused again because in the video it allows him to install map to pc at this point.
Fennellg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Fennellg »

I will put in an address that is close, cross roads can work to. You can also zoom in on the map using the gps touch the place you want to go and it will ask you if you want to go there. Life is an endless series of work arounds. : :o
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Fennellg wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:15 pm I will put in an address that is close, cross roads can work to. You can also zoom in on the map using the gps touch the place you want to go and it will ask you if you want to go there. Life is an endless series of work arounds. : :o
The zoom in/touch map/GO way is how I do it. I find that Garmin is way behind with actual data- things like postal (ZIP) code entry, restaurants, gas stations, etc. are better left for searching on the phone IMHO. Much better accuracy. I'll use the Garmin to search for a town name but that's about the depth of knowledge I trust it to have and even then it sometimes lets me down.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

pangasuis wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:28 pm ok iv factory reset my device and gone threw setup again.

i want to put the map from my device to my pc so i followed the utube video that simoncrew posted were he uses garmin express to install map to pc.

i goto the device in express and wait for it to check updates and then click on map details.

i click options on the Map: full covgerage of europe 2021.30.

it then only shows me reinstall map and not install to pc like in the video.

im confused again because in the video it allows him to install map to pc at this point.

There is an issue with Garmin express for XT user that you can't install the map to the computer

Garmin are allegedly working on a fix!
pangasuis
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

is there away to move the map from my device to my pc without using express?
Fennellg
United States of America

Post by Fennellg »

On the 2 Garmin Zumos I have had, (550 & 595). You just turn it on and view the map with no destination. Use your finger to move the map N,S,E,W. Zoom in using the plus and minus buttons. Touch and hold it will ask you if you want to go. :D

If my Garmin is having trouble finding something I will use my phone to find something close that my Garmin can deal with. Whatever gets you threw the night :D :ugeek:
Fennellg
United States of America

Post by Fennellg »

The 595 will allow you to use the maps on the GPS via your computer. I would advise against. It is slow and choppy. The USB connect is the bottle neck. I image the XT will allow you to do the same.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmm.

The XT is a brilliant bit of kit, and it will do exactly what you want it to do, and it will do it well. Don't feel that you have wasted tour money. It's a machine. The only problem is that you need to know how to drive it. If you are having problems, it is more than likely that it is down to the way that you are doing things rather than the unit itself. I don't mean that in a negative way, far from it. I kept my 590 and spent my har earned pocket money on an XT and I was gutted by what I found. I've kept the cradle and wiring for my 590/5 on the bike because I wasn't sure that I would be using it. It got me annoyed. But now I am getting used to how it works, I like it. It still has some bugs, but most users will never encounter them.

Telling someone who has used satnavs that they may not be doing things properly is a bit like telling a newcomer to motorcycling that if they want to take a right hand bend at normal riding speed, they are going to have to push forward slightly on the right hand bar. It is new information which is difficult to accept, and even more difficult to understand. But we all know that it works.

If the XT stops talking to you, it is probably because you have automatic recalculation disabled. If you go off route, and ignore the XT's instructions, it throws a sulk and says "I'm not talking to you then, so there !". If you happen to join or cross the route that it knows about, it will start talking again, but if you don't go where it want you to go, it will stop talking again. And just 'cos there's a magenta line on the map, doesn't mean that you are following it in the direction that the satnav intends.

Very often this problem occurs the moment that you set off. Your start point is where you start riding from, Yes ? Well the satnavs cannot fix your position precisely - they have error. Often just a few yards, but they are greater when it has found only 3 or 4 satellites - ie when you just set off. It will tell you to go to the start point, and you ignore that instruction, because you are already there. But the satnav thinks the start point is outside next door's house - which would mean that you would have to head off in the wrong direction. So you ignore the instruction and continue on the magenta route. Too late - you have not followed the instruction to visit a point that you have got to visit. The XT (and the 590 and 595) will go into a sulk and will no longer talk to you.

Someone else may tell you to press 'Skip'. Easy. Except Skip will cause the entire route to be recalculated. That's OK if you have Via Points and Shaping Points on the route to pin it down to a few key roads - but if you follow other suggestions about tracks, KMZ files and auto recalculate - it will find a brand new route to your destination, even with autorecalculate turned off. And if your destination is to arrive back home after a 400 mile ride ..... Wow, that was quick. Home again already !!!!

There is a simple answer to this particular problem. Never put your start point at the point that you intend to start from. Instead, put it on the road that you intend to be on a few minutes after you have set off. The XT will still take you there and continue navigating the route once it arrives. (For anyone reading this with a 550 and 660 background - they would stop once the start had been reached. The XT behaves in a much nicer way).

Oh - and if you like to use the Closest Entry Point feature, then make sure that you XT is set to allow U-Turns. Otherwise it is quite capable of taking you 100 miles in the wrong direction befroe you even set off.

So if you would like some help, First I need some information
i) What version of the firmware do you have on your XT ? (Main Screen -> Settings - > Device -> About -> Software Version.
ii) What maps do you have loaded and ticked. (Main Screen->Settings->Map & Vehicle-> myMaps) - see below for more info on maps.
iii) What version of map do you have on Basecamp (eg 2020.30 , 2021.10)
iv) What version of Basecamp do you have loaded? Load Basecamp, click the 'Help' menu, Click 'About Basecamp'. Mine is v 4.7.3

And I would need you to set you XT to produce the same results as mine.

Set the current vehicle (Usage Mode) to Motorcycle (when the Zumo XT is battery powered)
Set the Current Vehicle to Motorcycle (when the Zumo is powered fro the adapter or from the car cigarette lighter)

Set the following in Settings->Navigation
Calculation Mode = Faster Time
Off Route Calculation = Automatic
Avoidances-> Untick all of them (U turns, Motorways, Ferries, Car share lanes, unpaved roads) and Save
Custom Avoidances - make sure that nothing is set.
Tolls and Fees -Toll Stickers - all set to Allways Ask. Toll Roads set to Allow.
Environmental Zones -> Always Ask
Restricted Mode -> Untick (if you are plugged into the adapter, it may think you are in the car).
Wireless Networks. Turn Off WiFi - I wouldn't want it to update your software without you knowing about it, while we are comparing results !
Driver Assisatnce -> Doesn't matter to me
Traffic -> needs an accessory, but disable it if you have one.

AT some point it would be useful to have a copy of your route from Basecamp, but that's for later.

MAPS - more information

Mine has:

OSM Maps (not standard, unticked)

All of these are provided as standard:

Europe DEM (ticked)
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 Parkopedia(ticked)
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 FourSquare(ticked)
TopoActive PS Europe 2021.10 South West (ticked)
TopoActive PS Europe 2021.10 North East (ticked)
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 ALL South (ticked)
CN Europe NTU 2021.10 ALL North (ticked)

(NTU = New Technology Unicode - we don't need to know that)
TopActive maps include routable road, trails, walking paths and features such as contours, waterways, boundaries. They do not have an address search facility, nor do they provide turn by turn routing in automotive routing profiles. (PS=PowerSports)
DEM = Digital Elevation Maps.]

Garmin Express. and MAps

Garmin have updated Express, and it no longer has the facility for installing the maps on your PC.
If you have an older Zumo, you can install the maps to your PC using that Zumo registered with Express. That works fine.
Or you can find someone that has the latest version installed and ask for a copy. Its about 5.5 Gb. By default it lives in the folder
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps\City_Navigator_Europe_NTU_2021_10.gmap which contains about 627 files arranged into numerous folders. You would need the entire structure.

There is no problem using a different map on Basecamp as the one on you Zumo - but the Zumo will spend a while recalculating your route as soon as it receives it. Which is a pain.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.