regretting buying the zumo xt

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
pangasuis
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

regretting buying the zumo xt

Post by pangasuis »

hello im new here and im pulling my hair out with this new XT, basecamp is horrible to use and so is my sat nav, it has me going all way round the dam country just to get to were im going instead of taking me straight there. iv gone threw all the settings to try and sort it and watched about a million utube videos on basecamp and the sav nav itself. im regretting buying it now to be honest. i feel like iv wasted alot of money and iv had to resort to using google maps on my phone half way threw my journy to get home without doing a 60 mile round trip to go 30 miles.

sighhssss :?

anyway now iv gone to try again with the stupid thing and instead of using basecamp i thought id just put the address and postcode into the sat nav. so iv gone to "where to" then address and now there is no option for putting the postcode in anymore, im sure i seen this before and now its not there, ok so i tryed to add the address by spelling town and it couldnt even find the town. omg this is so frustrating and annoying. so i thought ok ill try to add my address in and it couldnt even find that and im sat in my house. SIGHS. i dont want this sat nav anymore. iv sat here longer trying to sort the joury out with basecamp and the sat nav than the dam jounry takes to ride, SIGHS again.

sorry i just had to come here and have a rant about this because it cost alot of money to be messed around so much with this ... :oops: :roll: :roll:
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: regretting buying the zumo xt

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum and for the rant :lol:

I'm not sure whats going on but when I go to Where to>>address I get the option of spell town enter post code search all and change country!

As for basecamp if this is your first time using it then yes it can be a bit frustrating but you will figure it out and its relatively easy once you know!
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

For BaseCamp work through this tutorial https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/ and you'll soon be an expert

If postcode etc isn't coming up just ensure you haven't inadvertently deselected the CN EU map.
pangasuis
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

eyup, thanks for the welcome and laughing at my rant :lol: its amazing how it feels better once u let out the frustration lol :D :roll:

so i did un tick all the maps in my settings which removed my postcode because i installed a map to basecamp and i thought after installing it to my sat nav i didnt need all the other maps so anyway i reset that and now the postcode is back again so thanks for that. iv looked at the tutorial and ill go threw it for sure.

thanks for ur help and understanding and ill probley be back at somepoint to pester u again ;)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Pester away! I feel your pain! Most of us have aggravated everyone else on this forum more than once! We're tough, we can take it. The knowledge and experience here can get you through it. They did for me! And yes, definitely go through that linked tutorial. It made everything fall into place for me with Base Camp. We learned additional tips and tricks so vent your frustrations, we're here to help.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

pangasuis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:37 pm eyup, thanks for the welcome and laughing at my rant :lol: its amazing how it feels better once u let out the frustration lol :D :roll:

so i did un tick all the maps in my settings which removed my postcode because i installed a map to basecamp and i thought after installing it to my sat nav i didnt need all the other maps so anyway i reset that and now the postcode is back again so thanks for that. iv looked at the tutorial and ill go threw it for sure.

thanks for ur help and understanding and ill probley be back at somepoint to pester u again ;)
These 2 guys on you tube helped me learn basecamp , they have both posted a series of easy to follow videos that remove the fear of using basecamp.
Fennellg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Fennellg »

I have learned to use BaseCamp. I had a zumo 550. BaseCamp worked well. You just had to know the tricks. I now have a 595. Gave up on BaseCamp. The tricks no longer work. The gps would not stay on the route. It would override.

What I discovered is Google My Maps. It is so much easier to use. It is also easier to share and work on routes. We no longer have a bunch of versions emailed back and forth. Make the route, it’s a breeze. Export to KMZ format. Open in BaseCamp. It’s a track. One click and it’s converted to a route. The great thing is the route is pinned down with a bunch of data points. You won’t deviate from your plan. If you want waypoints add them in BaseCamp. Be careful though the zumo 595 hates it when you skip a waypoint, keeps trying to get you to go back. I make routes with out them. I turn off recalculate and I can go off route then jump back on with no drama. Just like my old Zumo 550. There are YouTube’s.

pangasuis
Great Britain

Post by pangasuis »

iv just tryed once again to add an address into my device and it couldnt find even the town or postcode. this is a joke.

so i went to basecamp hoping that it would find the address and the same thing happened. nothing. its like the town does not exsit. omg this is so annoying, why i cant just put the postcode into my device and it take me there is a joke. its easier to just use my phone. google map just finds it straight away without any problem to the door.

iv payed for something that can not even find postcodes.

im gonna watch these videos threw again and try again but i still feel like iv over payed for junk that cant even find addresses that i put in by town or postcodes. i should not be going threw this with this device.

i should not need to make 20 million and 1 waypoints to get to my destination wen i have an address and postcodes in basecamp or my device. this device is way way way over priced.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Ok, b r e a t h e........

Believe me, I understand your frustration. And I don't even own an XT! You sound exactly like I did a couple yrs back with my then very-expensive-paperweight 595LM.

So do this- post EXACTLY what you are doing on what screen. Skip nothing. Your first step should be "pushed power on button. Power came on, booted up, got welcome screen." See? There is no such thing as an insignificant detail so, again, skip nothing. Maybe someone can pick up on what you are doing vs what he/she/it is doing.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Also post an example of an address you can't find. It may be, albeit unusual, that it isn't in the database yet if, for example, it's a new housing area. I've used different Garmins for many years and never had issues with addresses so possibly something in your method isn't correct.

Having entered an address there is no need to do anything other than tap Go unless you wish to adjust the route in some way, for example enter a lunch stop.