Problem converting track to trip

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
g_in_r
Netherlands

Re: Problem converting track to trip

Post by g_in_r »

Quickly:

Just phoned the retailer, who said "...if you want to follow = navigate a track then this is NOT the device you should have purchased."

He says you can see it on your screen as a track and then ride along that track, but you will not get navigation signs, such as those when you're on the road. Basically it cannot be used to navigate off-road on existing routes, tracks, etc. It is not the same type of device as a Montana (for example).

He also says that you happily use this to follow the off-road tracks. Just make then visible and follow the track. if you're looking for a place to enter the track, then place a waypoint on the screen and navigate to that.

I'll go in a fe weeks (no time now) to be educated in what he claims is the way to use the Zumo XT for off-road riding.

Really, what a waste of money. My old devices, which I sold could do this... I had no idea they would change the function of the device.

About the screen, he states it will be replaced if it does what I aid it does; ghosting.

I'll update later, once I know more. But that will be only next year.
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the update.

That is an interesting summary from Garmin.

But the advertising for Zumo seems to suggest to me that navigation off road is possible. When the advertising first came out, I remember looking to see if it could also be used on the road - I thiught it was just for off road use.

No Zumo that I have owned has ever been able to navigate tracks. (550, 660, 590, 595, XT)

I was watching another thread where they described how to get a navigable route for use off road. i was able to repeat the method. BUT... I have yet to find a way that will make the Zumo XT calculate its own route from A to B along known tracks.

Instead, you draw a track on a map eg Basecamp. You then use the Zumo to convert the track to a route, which results in lots of intermediate points. Turn off auto-recalc, and the satnav will speak to you as you progress. Or you set the unit vehicle to off road. It simply joins up straight lines, so you make a route consisting of route points that are close together.

The XT doesn't seem to have the features that I thought it had, but I didn't buy the XT for off road use.

I'll post the link to that thread when I find it again.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Beszot
Poland

Post by Beszot »

g_in_r wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:06 pm Quickly:

Just phoned the retailer, who said "...if you want to follow = navigate a track then this is NOT the device you should have purchased."

He says you can see it on your screen as a track and then ride along that track, but you will not get navigation signs, such as those when you're on the road. Basically it cannot be used to navigate off-road on existing routes, tracks, etc. It is not the same type of device as a Montana (for example).

He also says that you happily use this to follow the off-road tracks. Just make then visible and follow the track. if you're looking for a place to enter the track, then place a waypoint on the screen and navigate to that.

I'll go in a fe weeks (no time now) to be educated in what he claims is the way to use the Zumo XT for off-road riding.

Really, what a waste of money. My old devices, which I sold could do this... I had no idea they would change the function of the device.

About the screen, he states it will be replaced if it does what I aid it does; ghosting.

I'll update later, once I know more. But that will be only next year.

Hi, sorry for my english but more important - I have this isue too.
My story was this, read and find your situation.
1. Zumo in first weeks worked outstanding - calculated all tracks, gps tarcks to routes without any problems. Just like I expected.
2. suddenly started calculate tracks (own tracks, made when i was riding) to route without any middle waypoints. Only start and end. But route followed track precisely. BUT if you changed route (for gas station for example) he calculated route again. And without any middle waypoints - create new, crazy route, shortest betwenn you and end. ZUMO denied transfer routes from base camp too.
3. I described problem to ZUMO Poland, and they replaced with new item. Only info- hardware isuue code 30
4. ZUMO worked great till... software update. Isuue back!!
5. I described to Zumo Service, thet don;t replied any of my quetions, only sent me new one with Id number only 1 step higher than earlier. And fail code - F22 software issue, this time.
6. And this new ZUMO, third zumo in my hands , have issue on start. Calculate track to route - leaving only two points, start and end, without any middle point.
7. three ZUMO!!!! I have two documents from servicve, I can put them there if someone want.

I wrote mail to Garmin Central with one simply question - calculated route (from own track) should have start and end only OR start, many middlepoints, end. We will see...

You are right, ZUMO service is incompetent. They have big problem, but they don't say anything.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Beszot wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm
7. three ZUMO!!!! I have two documents from service, I can put them there if someone want.
Yes please. Do you know what hardware version you have on the new Zumo ?

Settings->Device->About

or in Polish

Ustawienia->Urzadzenie->O systemie-> Wersja sprezetu

Mine says V6 Pv3 DT R5125. It was bought in March last year, but didn't actually come into the UK until a few weeks later - probably during the second batch that were sent to the UK

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Beszot
Poland

Post by Beszot »

Hi
for this one, last one is V8 Pv3 DT R512S
first one had V6Pv3 DTR512 S
second one - I don't have a picture.

Documents of service in attachment. IF you want without fogged info, i can send to you priv
Attachments
fot2.jpg
fot2.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
fot1.jpg
fot1.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Beszot
Poland

Post by Beszot »

We have another clue - garmin is hiding something

I tried to force garmin support answer my questions.
They sended me only part of manual
picture 1
1.jpg
1.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
with this link
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=s ... tab=topics

You can click and see this,
picture 2
2.jpg
2.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
but when you click "ZUMO XT trip Log upper left you see that page is removed, you can't see this from normal www tree

picture 3
3.jpg
3.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
jackrabbit
Australia

Post by jackrabbit »

I was having the same issue as this. what i discovered was that changing the "Usage Mode" to Off- Road instead of Motorcycle worked for me. I mainly only use tracks and no roads. give it a try and see if it works for you. you will need to tap the bike icon and change to off-road. I can now route off road tracks whereas before it was getting stuck during the calculation.

Last edited by jackrabbit on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've been looking at this and the format that Basecamp uses to store relevant information.

The Zumo will happily turn a track into a route, but what it actually does is change all of the track points into the invisible 'ghost points' (my terminology) that make up the route. There are no other routing points (Via, Shaping)in the track, so there are none to be converted when it makes the route - only the 'ghost' points (gpxx) These points that are the ones that are always plotted between two adjacent 'normal' routing points (ie Via or Shaping Points) in order to arrive at a course that looks like a curvy road, rather than a straight line. They are very 'fragile'. As soon as the route recalculates, these original ghost points are lost and replaced with the new ones that the recalculation process works out.

Waypoints - if they were stored as favourites on the Zumo (or if they were transferred as stored Waypoints from Basecamp (created using the Waypoint flag tool) can be made to appear on the Zumo map, but they will not form part of the route. They will just appear as though they are on it. The route itself knows nothing about them.

Regarding @jackrabbit's comment about using Off Road. - That is also what I found out. It is essential to do this in order to get the map to display and navigate properly. If the route is coming from Basecamp, it needs to be created as a Direct Route. Not car, not motorcycle, not off-road. You get a route with a series of shaping and via points (your choice) and they will be joined together with straight lines. Put them close enough together and you get curves (sort of) that can be made to follow an off road track. But they are actually just straight lines. It is exactly the sort of thing that walkers do when hiking across open moorland. They create a route card which says walk on bearing 123 degrees (magnetic) for 800m. Walk on 200 degrees for 400m. And they use the compass to find an object in the distance on the required bearing (preferably not the sun, moon or a sheep) and head towards it.

This BC route can then be transferred to the Zumo. But when loading, it needs to be told that it is an off-road route. Auto recalculate needs to be turned off. That way, you get an off road route with the shaping points and Via points forming part of that route. The data display will show your progress towards them and the Zumo will announce your arrival at any points that are set to Vias.

But don't press Skip.

I can get some screen shots of this if anyone is interested.

What I have yet to discover is how to create a ROUTE with route points using Explore. SO far I have only managed to produce tracks

jackrabbit
Australia

Post by jackrabbit »

If the route is coming from Basecamp, it needs to be created as a Direct Route. Not car, not motorcycle, not off-road. You get a route with a series of shaping and via points (your choice) and they will be joined together with straight lines.
Yes correct I did have "direct route" on in basecamp using a topo map. Thanks for the detailed confirmation hopefully this helps with some routing issues. Most tracks I use are not identified roads but tracks just like hiking.

heres a close up of the track points through unnamed tracks. you can see how the corners have a lot of points generated automatically in topo maps.

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the images.

Have you been able to load the Topo maps onto your computer for use in Basecamp, or is it accessing them from the Zumo ?