Routing Waypoint Frustration

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
night falcon
Has liked: 1 time
New Zealand

Re: Routing Waypoint Frustration

Post by night falcon »

Stu wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:11 pm Yeah I see your point about waypoints!

I have to say I have never had a problem on my 590 not tried the XT properly yet!

But that's only if placed on a road if they are slightly off then it has been a problem
I never had this issue with my 550/Mapsource either. The 395 is the first device I've used with Basecamp. I've tried using mapsource again for route planning but it won't find the device. Improved technology doesn't always make things better it would appear!
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Strange because that's not my experience but if it were I would find it frustrating too. You do know you can set viapoints in BaseCamp to shaping points? If not either individually by opening route properties, right clicking the relevant point and selecting do not alert, or you can select a number of them to change all at once.

Note too MapSource will work with newer devices but by default they are set to mtp mode. If you switch them to mass storage mode they'll work with MapSource
betthe
United States of America

Post by betthe »

Using BaseCamp, have you 'opened' the route to make sure the waypoint was inserted into the route?
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I've used both MapSource and BaseCamp for routing - still do use MS for my 450/550. Never experienced the problem you are describing with BC. If you double click on the route in BaseCamp you should open the route properties box. When you look at the points, the Way Points should be easily seen as flags or other symbols, not just "dots" as the shaping points are usually marked.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.28 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
night falcon
New Zealand

Post by night falcon »

yes i'm reasonably adept at route planning - in spite of appearances :D - all waypoints show up in the route as do shaping points. I've been using routes for years so am fairly familiar with how they work - I don't claim to be an expert.

As I say, my problem isn't planning a route, it's getting my 395 to follow it. If you use it for simple find and direct to a location it works, if you add waypoints to that it struggles to locate them.

I've looked in the settings for the correct Co ordinate format; it doesn't have the listing for New Zealand (NZTM2000) although the Datum is correct (WGS84). I have it set to the default Garmin Format (hddd.mm.mmm) but have tried a few other generic formats. - probably clutching at straws but its all I can think of other than Basecamp putting waypoints in hard to reach places or a faulty GPS....it's never been dropped, drowned or doctored.

The 395 will likely go in a draw and be forgotten -chalked up to one of life's little first world failures :lol:
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'm a tad confused by this post - otherwise I might be able to help.

The only points that are of any consequence to how a route behaves is whether they are Shaping Points or Via Points.

Waypoints are stored points that have been set up by you before you started plotting a route, or by Basecamp in their database. Once they are put into a route they become Via points by default. But any Via Point can be made into a Shaping Point and Vice Versa.

When dropping a point on the Basecamp map with the insert tool, often it will snap to the nearest known location (ie to a Waypoint). This may not be where you intended to place it.

Also - although the Zumo can be used to change a Via Point to a Shaping Point, and vice versa. When you do, under certain circumstances it will rename and relocate the original point.

If someone wants to describe exactly what is happening with their route, I will probably be able to help. But so far, the use of the term Waypoint has left me confused as to what is actually happening.

If there is a route that uses European maps, I could check that out if you send a GPX file from Basecamp.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by lather »

the problem described in the original post has happened to me a few times with my 395 but I believe they have been due to my lack of care in setting the waypoint (or via point, I'm no loger sure of the proper term after readsing this thread, and I use Mapsource to makae routes.

However I wanted to mention what I think is a solution to missing a point while on a route. You know this has happened when your miles to destination starts increasing instead of decreasing. The solution is the Change Route button. This will let you skip the point you missed and proceed to the nect point. The screen gives you the option to skip either the next destination or the next shaping point.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

lather wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:55 pm The problem described in the original post has happened to me a few times with my 395 but I believe they have been due to my lack of care in setting the waypoint (or via point, I'm no longer sure of the proper term after reading this thread, and I use Mapsource to make routes.
Well, I reckon that 'Not being sure' is pretty good progress from having routes that don't work !

I think that part of the problem will be to do with using Mapsource. That was software written a long time before the Zumos with the Trip Planner App came on the scene. Basecamp was written for the Trip Planner app and is much better suited to Zumos like the 39x, 59x and XT. Mapsource produces routes which contain no Via Points - only shaping points ***, and Garmin say that in certain situations on the later Zumos like yours, navigation will fail if Mapsource has been used to create the routes.

***Hopefully @sussamb will correct me if I have this the wrong way round !

lather wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:55 pm However I wanted to mention what I think is a solution to missing a point while on a route. You know this has happened when your miles to destination starts increasing instead of decreasing. The solution is the Change Route button. This will let you skip the point you missed and proceed to the next point. The screen gives you the option to skip either the next destination or the next shaping point.
Having the distance to destination (or distance to Via Point) on display is a good tip - it is entirely possible to be following the magenta line in the wrong direction, and if you have U turns turned off, it can be some time before the satnav tries to correct you. The increasing distance is one of the things that will alert you if this is happening.

The Skip function is extremely useful on the XT the button can always be available on the screen. On the 595 (and from what you say) the 396, you can select the next point to SKip - either the next Via Point or the next Shaping point. But on the 595 it does not give any clue as to what type of point comes next. The XT shows the name of the points, which is much more useful.

But note that on the 595 and on the XT, if you skip a route point, the entire route will be recalculated. It will still take you through all of your route points in turn, but it might introduce variations from the original if features such as traffic / time of day are taken into account.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

jfheath wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:37 pm ***Hopefully @sussamb will correct me if I have this the wrong way round !
Sounds about right :lol:
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by lather »

I have two 390s and one 395 but no 396. The 390 and 395 work quite differently at least the user interfaces are different. Both have the point skip feature but you have to enable it. on the 395 you start by touching the wrench symbol then change route then the option of skipping either the next "Destination" or next "Shaping Point" and these are identified. On the 390 you have a "skip" button always on screen. If you press it it gives no options just recalculates the route skipping the next point and you do not have any identification of what is being skipped.

Using Mapsource certainly has some drawbacks and I am trying to force myself to become proficient with Basecamp but it is hard for old dogs to learn new tricks :(