Windows 10

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Windows 10

Post by sussamb »

jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:30 am Note that you can have as many databases as you want. They all get saved in the same general location.
You can actually have databases wherever you want. Some place them somewhere in the 'cloud' so they can access them from anywhere. You choose the location when you create the database.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

sussamb wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 am
jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:30 am Note that you can have as many databases as you want. They all get saved in the same general location.
You can actually have databases wherever you want. Some place them somewhere in the 'cloud' so they can access them from anywhere. You choose the location when you create the database.
you can also change it under Edit >> Options >> General

:)
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The way that Basecamp is set up, it seems to expect the same folder to be used for each database. However, do this and it can be very difficult to separate the data for one set of routes from another. I prefer to have each collection of routes stored in a completely isolated database, and for that I use separate subfolders for each.

So I will have BCDatabase as a main folder and will have (say) 2019 Routes and 2020 Routes as sub folders within the BCDatabase folder. I don't have to, but I give the folder name the same name as the database name. It makes it easy to know which folder belongs to which named database.

Using this technique you can easily make backup copies of a database, but it makes it easy (ish) to move a database from one location to another.
Basecamp doesn't like you doing this, so you have to fool it:

* In Basecamp, Create a new database, and if you wish create a new subfolder in which to keep it separate. (eg MCDatabases/2020Routes).
* Give it a name that is different from any other that Basecamp knows about.
* Let Basecamp start up with the new empty database, and then exit Basecamp.
* In Windows Explorer, find the new folder structure. There should be a folder called Database in MCDatabases/2020Routes. Delete it.
* Find the folder containing the Database you wish to move and navigate to where the Database folder is located. Right click and select Copy.
* Navigate to the new folder - eg MCDatabases/2020Routes - and Paste in the copied Database folder and contents.

This has replaced the new database which was empty, with a full one from somewhere else. When you reload Basecamp, the last database to be used was the new one - which will now contain all of the moved routes. The name of the database will be in the drop down list.

The last step is to get rid of the old database folder, and to delete the old database name from the list. But beware if you had different database names all stored in the same folder.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

C:\Users\Patri\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database\4.7

Well I found it..............

Took much longer that I expected, thanks for the help. Not a big fan of WIN 10 thats for sure.

OK, so the whole reason I was looking is so that I can back it up/save it with all my other important files. So what are folks doing, just coping it every so often?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well if you just want to let BaseCamp do it for you the option is already there under File in the toolbar. Or you can just copy AllData.gdb and Folder.gfi to wherever you want to hold the back up. Those two files contain your routes, waypoints etc and your Folder/File structure.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

See my offering 3 posts back. It suggests a fool proof method of moving a database to a different location, and will also work for reinstating a copy of a database in the event of complete loss of data and / or Basecamp.

I do it this way as when Basecamp first came out, I managed to loose all of my data and I was unable to recover it. Their backup / restore is probably better now, but once bitten...... This gives me better control.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

patrickg450 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:01 pm C:\Users\Patri\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database\4.7

Well I found it..............

Took much longer that I expected, thanks for the help. Not a big fan of WIN 10 thats for sure.

OK, so the whole reason I was looking is so that I can back it up/save it with all my other important files. So what are folks doing, just coping it every so often?
Having suffered a catastrophic data loss many years ago I take a belts and suspenders approach. First, I make backups perodically using the backup function within Basecamp. I also use Carbonite, an online backup service to backup up all may data files. Basic service is $72/year. Finally I also use an external harddrive and software to mirror my desktop harddrive, saving all my data along with programs.
Last edited by Breezly on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I have a external HD I keep a bunch of stuff on. Just need to figure out what file to copy every month or so.
Quincyhal
United States of America

Post by Quincyhal »

Can't you just copy everything? Or would that not work?
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I just copied the four files that were in that folder (address above in my previous post) to my external HD. I will do that every so often......hope it works.