Being forced to go back to a waypoint

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Being forced to go back to a waypoint

Post by Fxwheels »

Peobody wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:45 pm I place my Via Points on the road slightly before the actual place because I want to be alerted 'before' I arrive at the physical place and also because, should I decide not to stop, I can ride past without worrying about having to Skip that point.
Hmmm, good point here.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I will sometimes use that as an alert - it is a good technique, but I rarely mention it, so it is good to make that suggestion as well. Usually I put it after the point on the road that I will travel whether I visit the stopping place or not. If necessary I mark the cafe with a shaping point.
If I decide not to stop, I will be passing through the via point next anyway - just up the road. As soon as I rejoin the magenta line, it will not mind that I have missed a point. Many on the road problems are to do with not passing through a Via Point - especially when setting off at the start or after a stop. Putting the Via after covers that potential issue - but you may need a shaping point to get you to the cafe.

An example at the bottom of this page. app.php/ZXT-P19

I like the Via to be after because if it is necessary to restart the route. (eg Fiddling with the XT when in the cafe), then there is a Via point that can be selected as next destination.

But I don't do this all of the time - its just general advice to cover eventualities. Putting the Via at the cafe might seem the logical thing to do - but parkin arrangements might result in a well intentioned Via point from being missed. (eg park round the back, when the Via is at the front door).

But I sometimes use a Via point with an odd name so the it announces "Approaching Stay on A123 for no coffee, on the left".

All very useful little tricks which help a route work well.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Triplog
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

A method I've used in the past is to put a Proximity Warning on a saved (alerting) Waypoint. That means i can place the waypoint before, on or after the actual stop and be alerted before I actually reach it - but I see a lot of merit in jfheath's thinking and may adopt that in future. That with a proximity alert might be the way to go!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Triplog wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:59 pm A method I've used in the past is to put a Proximity Warning on a saved (alerting) Waypoint. That means i can place the waypoint before, on or after the actual stop and be alerted before I actually reach it - but I see a lot of merit in jfheath's thinking and may adopt that in future. That with a proximity alert might be the way to go!
Now that is something that I have not tried! I have created POI files with proximity warnings, and got them to play custom sounds and pictures (POIs and Tourist Guides). Are you saying that if you simply set a perimeter for any waypoint in Basecamp, the Zumo will alert as you get within that perimeter ?

Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Hold that thought! It definitely works in the Montana 700i but in a test route I tried on Saturday it announced the Via Point but seemed to ignore the Proximity alert. I'll do some more tests. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't work in the XT as it was such a useful feature in the Montana.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I have just created a Proimity boundary around a location and a I ran a point to point route in siumulation. I get a single ping at the exat point where it crossed the (invisible) line. But BC draws the circle and I had it zoomed in and was comparing the map on the screen with the map on the XT2. So on that basis (100% success rate after an extensive trial of one point) - it does work.

It just needs a different sound to distinguish it from the ping-ping of the speed camera alerts. Same sound, same pitch. That must be possible.

I'm going on a ping hunt.

Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

That's good news. On the Montana it actually comes up on screen with a prompt that you've reached the outer limit of the proximity warning. That can be cleared or ignored and it will clear itself. Similarly as you leave it. I was sort of counting on it for a 5 day excursion round the Wild Atlantic Way early next month. I wasn't sure if it would work in simulation mode.
About ½ way through your notes and already gained a lot of useful info. Thanks for putting the research and effort into it.
Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Jfheath Ive just tried a simulation with the Proximity alert on the XT2. I'm not getting any notification. Can I ask if you tried this on the XT or XT2?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It was an XT2

It was just a single ping. I couldn't find the sound file though to change it. It was only one example but it happened at exaclty the point where my bike crossed the proximity line (as seen on Basecamp). I repeated it a few times.

I'll have to get back to you with my settings.

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

XT2 Settings which may be relevant:

Settings -> Rider Alerts -> All disabled (made noe difference when I disabled them from some being enabled)

Settings -> Rider Alerts -> Proximity Alerts -> Continuous tone. I switched this from Single tone and observed no difference - except it did ping when I crossed the invisible line, and I heard it ping again a little later. I wasn't paying attention - so 'continuous' might mean 'repeated'. I have yet to try turning it off completely - but this sounds as though it might be the setting.