when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
chris7444
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
France

Re: when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Post by chris7444 »

Sure. But I like to load the routes in trip planner when I need them, not when I prepare them. Especially when on a multi-days trip. And I generally do that at breakfast time with the friends when the GPS is not connected. But this is not a show stopper, I can do that when the XT is connected to the bike's battery.
danham
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 88 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Chris,

I may be misunderstanding, but I'm puzzled that your XT will not do a few minutes of calculation on battery. Is the battery worn out? Is the XT not charged?

I ask because as I plan for an upcoming 3000-mile ride, I'm doing everything while sitting at my desk, on battery, and have had no issues.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

danham wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:37 pm Chris,

I may be misunderstanding, but I'm puzzled that your XT will not do a few minutes of calculation on battery. Is the battery worn out? Is the XT not charged?

I ask because as I plan for an upcoming 3000-mile ride, I'm doing everything while sitting at my desk, on battery, and have had no issues.

-dan
The battery is ok. When this happens, pushing the red button at the back wakes up the GPS immediately and it displays the "warning" message, then the main screen. But the route is not loaded. If I touch the screen to make sure the GPS does not enter sleep/pause mode, the route loads successfully.

I just tried to set the Display Timeout (GPS settings) to "never" and I no longer have the issue but that the first time I see a screen saver interrupt a task.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'll repeat what I said earlier in case it was missed.

The route that I sent back and which you posted WAS your original route with the three waypoints deleted. I then added them back in again by using the Garmin search facility.

Frank may well be right about the subclass info - but in this case, it is a symptom - it isn't the cause of the problem. I couldn't search for points originally, to rebuild the route using searches. I had to uninstall and reinstall. I did BC and the maps. Same problem of crashing. I only got it to work when I selected the option to run Basecamp as Administrator. After each test, I deleted all Favourites, Routes, History and had no info at all on the SD card. I changed the anme for each test, in case I managed to pick up the old test route.

It shouldn't need to be necessary to modify the subclass information. Not in this case anyway - because it worked for me without doing anything with them.

There is / was something on your computer set up that was making the XT think that it needed to recalculate the route when it received it.
It did the same long load on my computer when I received your route. But when I put my own points in instead of the waypoints it loaded fine.

Did you remember to set press the button to make the settings the same for all devices in those tick boxes in Edit Options Device Transfer ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

Hurray! It works!

I forgot to press the "Apply to All Devices" button in the device transfer options screen! And now I understand why this has to be pressed even when there is only one device.

And yes @jfheath I did press this button when you asked me to do it a few days ago :-) although I did not understand it was needed because it actually configures something on the device. I re-initialized the GPS yesterday while I was trying to recover from the search crash, I guess this erased the corresponding setting.

By the way I don't run Basecamp as an Admin. My account is privileged but I have user account control enabled (the one level under "Always notify")

Thank you so much for your help!

ps; I doubled checked that the GPS calculates my old routes when I import them with the trip planner. I will have to rebuild them I guess but no big deal. So glad to see it working now!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Great stuff!

Yes, any old routes will need to be recalculated in Basecamp.

The Device transfer settings are somehow sent to the Zumo when the route is transferred. If you don't select 'apply to all devices' and you have more than one in the list, theres a fair chance that it will catch you out at some point.

The recalculation is needed not only for the maps, but I think it re-applies the current settings. Not sure precisely how it does this, but that interpretation will do for me!

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I know that this topic has been discussed to death so it doesn't need to be re-hashed. I am just here to say that I just imported six routes. Two of them imported in less than a second each, one took about two seconds, three took many seconds as they obviously calculated during import. The routes were created in BaseCamp using the same the map, profile, avoidances, and methodology/diligence in waypoint placement. All are of similar length and number of shaping/via points. It remains a mystery why some calculate and some don't during import.

I imported all six at once which was a mistake. I don't know which ones calculated so feel the need to review them all on the XT out of concern that the calculated ones are screwed up.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

A common issue that can cause this is picking up an older route and transferring. If your maps have been updated since the route was created, then it will recalculate on transfer or import. Getting into the habit of recalculating all your routes before transfer isn't a bad habit to have. Unless you are certain. You can multi-slect and do them all at oncee.

Not saying this is your issue. its just a possibility which still catches me out occasionally. Half way through preapring a series of routes, a new map becoems available, so I install while I am away fromt he computer. Finish my routes off and forget that half of them were prepared on the older maps.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks for your thoughts @jfheath. I had done exports to the SD card yesterday but one of those routes failed to import. I'll save you the story of identifying and fixing a file integrity issue on the card, just suffice it to say that I ended up deleting all saved trips in the XT, deleting the .gpx files off the card, recalculating all of the routes, creating new tracks, then doing the exports again.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.