Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
chris7444
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
France

when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Post by chris7444 »

Hello all

When I import a route prepared in Basecamp, the XT recalculates the route although I have implemented/followed the recommendations found in "Zumo XT and Basecamp - Everything That You Need to Know" (app.php/ZXT-P42)

-------------
"On Loading, the XT will recalculate the entire route if
The map in Zumo is different from the map used in Basecamp.
Your Basecamp settings in Edit -> Options -> Device Transfer are wrong.
You change the routing preferences or the vehicle type on the Zumo."
-------------

I have deleted all maps in BAsecamp
I have reinstalled the City Navigator Map on the Zümo using Garmin Express
I have used Garmin Express to install the City Navigator map in Basecamp (map options ...)
I have unchecked all options in Basecamp's Device transfer settings
I recalculate the route in Basecamp before transfering it to the SD card

On the GPS (once disconnected from the PC) Apps -> Trip planner -> import. The Xümo alway calculates the route when importing. But It does not if I re-open the imported route

When I read "On Loading" should this include "importing" as well ? ( in which case I must be missing something )

Thank you

ps: forgot to say the profile is Motorbike in Basecamp and the XT. In the routing preferences for the profile I have kept one avoidance (both in Basecamp and the XT) "unpaved roads".
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Re: when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Post by Peobody »

Can you tell for sure that it is calculating? I ask because I believe my XT calculates every route created in Basecamp. I posted about it awhile ago and the responses led me to believe that it was just processing (saving all waypoints as "Saved" locations). I still question that though because of how long some can take. I don't recall what verbiage is on the screen during this process, just the percent completion bar. My configuration is the same as yours (same map in BC and on XT, Motorcycle profile, only unpaved roads avoided, all device transfer options off).

I had forgotten that I had been transferring, importing, and then viewing every route before riding it to make sure the XT calculated as intended. I am planning my summer trip so am grateful for this post as a reminder to do that.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

Well it says

"Saving item 1 of 1 to trip planner
Calculating xx%"

And it takes 2mns or so
The route consists of 9 shaping points and 6 waypoints (including start and destination)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Yup! That is what I experience.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Check your settings in Basecamp:

Edit -> Options -> Device Transfer.

Make sure that all of the boxes are unticked, and make sure that you apply the settings to all devices. (Tere may be a afew device listed in the top drop down box).

Then -
Make sure that the map that you are using in Basecamp is Excatly the same map that you are using on your Zumo.
If it is, and if you have installed new maps since the route was created, you must recalculate the route using the new maps.

Also

Make sure that you BC route is set to either Motorcycling or Driving. I prefer to have no none of the route profile boxes ticked, becasue none of them get transferred to the XT - except the vehicle (as long as it is car or bike), and the shorter/faster option. The Zumo will default to Faster / Motorcycle if it receives a setting that it doesn't recognise (like Custom), and it may well have to recaclculate the route as a result.

The XT will nearly always display the calculating message, when it is orgainising the data / putting Waypoints into Saved / Favourites; adding data to its list of routes and a load of other stuff that I don't know enough about to describe. But this normally takes just a few seconds. A full recalculation can take a lot longer than that.

Finally - the catch all solution. Make sure that if you have custom maps, OSM maps and such like on your device, that you do not have two navigable maps for the same area ticked in myMaps. I haven't got a clue whether that affects the re-calculation problem, but it seems to be an answer for a whole lot of other small issues. It's not worth ignoring the possibility - and if you do have two ticked for the same area, it WILL cause other problems.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
lkraus
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 121 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I think my XT says it is calculating every route it imports, but if I've created the route properly, it comes up with my intended route PLUS a route from my current location to the beginning of the route. Calculating does not necessarily mean changing.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:20 pm Calculating does not necessarily mean changing.
That is true, but it does mean that you must outsmart the XT when creating a route. Numerous strategically placed points along a preferred secondary road that parallels an interstate highway is an example of one of the many strategies required when trying to force the XT to route along the roads you want to ride.
danham
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 88 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I don't have enough miles on my XT yet to pretend I'm an expert, but here is what I observed over the years of using my 660.

When working with pre-planned routes, the GPS is presented with a bunch of coordinates from which it has to calculate a route and create turn by turn directions, which of course are not contained in the GPX file brought over from Basecamp. That is why every route I ever imported to my 660 (and the few I have done so far on my XT), would calculate (note I didn't say "re-calculate"). If anything changes during the ride, such as a missed turn, the GPS has to do this again, and that's what I would call re-calculating. It often ruins the pre-planned route, which is why I either switch off recalc or set it to ask first.

So it seems to me the test for whether the route will work in the XT as planned in BC is not whether it calculates, but rather whether the distance and turns match up. A common cause of a mismatch is differing map versions, because when the route calculates during import, things like intersections and waypoints may be in slightly different places in the two versions. I have verified this in the past, with a campground waypoint moving almost a quarter mile from the previous to the new Garmin map version, for example.

Please correct me if I have muddied the waters or gotten things wrong.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

That makes sense @danham except that I think that calculation process should happen when the trip is loaded via Trip Planner instead of on import.

I previously mentioned importing, loading, and then viewing routes from Basecamp to make sure that I had outsmarted the XT. There is more to it than just outsmarting the XT. We have read about or experienced a stretch of road that Basecamp routes over but the XT inexplicably routes around, at least it does until you add a number of Via points along that stretch. I have such a stretch near me; half-mile long; re-route is through a residential neighborhood adding about a mile. A Via point must be placed after every entrance into the neighborhood in order to force the XT to route along that stretch.
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

to answer @jfheath

I double checked everything and everything was configured as recommended except for the "unpaved road avoidance" (which I wanted to keep initially). I redid the test with NO Avoidance and the result is the same. the GPS calculates the route and it takes almost 2mns

Regarding the maps I followed the following procedure before posting this question. I think this ensures the City Navigator maps are the same on the GPS and in Basecamp and this also answers the last point (only one routable map)

1) remove the OSM map I had on the GPS. After that the GPS only lists the Garmin supplied maps in "myMaps" (see below). All of them are checked but I understand this is OK from a routing standpoint (only the CN Europe NTU maps are routable
- CN Europe NTU North+South
- Topoactive Powersports (East+West+Central)
- Europe DEM
- CN Europe NTU Parkopedia
- CN Europe NTU Foursquare

2) "Reinstall" the Europe NTU on the GPS using Garmin Express (just in case)
- note: Garmin Express only reports one entry "City Navigator Europe" for the two CN Europe NTU maps (North and South) reported by the GPS in myMaps
- Garmin Express -> "Maps details" -> City Navigator Europe 2023.20 -> Options -> Reinstall Map (this reinstalls the map on the device")
4) Remove all maps in Basecamp
- After removal Basecamp only showed the Global Map (expected)
5) Using Gamin Express install the CN Europe NTU map in Basecamp
- Garmin Express -> "Maps details" -> City Navigator Europe 2023.20 -> Options -> Instqll to Computer

Result:
- When the GPS is disconnected from the PC the Maps menu (Basecamp) shows "City Navigator Europe NTU 2023.2"
- When the GPS is connected to the PC, the Maps menu (Basecamp) shows "City Navigator Europe NTU 2023.2 ()".
- Note the parenthesis at the end. I guess this means the same map is both on the PC and on the GPS but this is just a guess.