Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Post by Peobody »

The repeating double-ding sound is starting to really annoy me. It lasts for about 30 second and I can not figure out what is triggering it. Rider Alerts are disabled. All Driver Assistance options except Route Preview are off.
At first I thought it was an excessive speed alert but couldn't duplicate it at will. Next I thought it was a school zone alert but have now heard it many times outside of school zones. It has done it 3 times during each of my past two days of riding. The ding is the same tone as the single ding of a traffic alert.
Any suggestion on how to kill the repeating double-ding would be appreciated.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Post by rufasim »

Is it the alert to tell you that the speed limit has decreased?
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The Reduced Speed Tone alert is off.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I reckon that it may be one of these. Note the various settings for both inside the city and outside - different amounts of lee-way.

The alternative is that it is relaying pings from your phone and has nothing to do with the XT at all.
Attachments
P91-Pic 1.gif
P91-Pic 1.gif (50.06 KiB) Viewed 979 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jcp
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by jcp »

I too, have been chasing this double tone alert...without success. JFHeath, my XT (USA model), does not have the secondary selections for Speeding Alert, i.e.,Inside city/Outside city and speed over. Maybe this is Europe only? The unit software is up to date.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That's interesting, so I had a play around with some settings.

Those options disappear from my UK XT if I change the locale to USA. And instead, I get the crash helmet warning option !

Locale is in the hidden menu obtained by long pressing the circular speedo button. Available in Configurations and Settings.

But that is irrelevant to your ding ding problem. Try unpairing your phone to eliminate that as a possibility.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I tried unpairing my phone with riding today and it is harder than I imagined. I thought I had them disconnected but they ended up being paired again. I want the traffic alerts and the smartphone services (text messages) so may just have to live with the double-ding until someone stumbles upon what is generating it. @jcp, my phone is an iPhone SE. Is your phone also an iPhone?

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the smartphone services active but disable the Drive app connection?
@rbentnail, I think it was you who mentioned disabling the Drive app in you phone. I haven't figured out a way to do that other than uninstall it. What did you do?
jcp
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by jcp »

Yes I use an iPhone also, a XR.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I don't have an iphone, but I guess my ipad is set up in a similar way.

On the XT, click the BT icon at the top of the main screen. If the phone and XT are linked, there is an option for Smartphone services.
Click that and you will find a list if check boxes under 'Smart Notifications' . You will probably find loads of thing in there that don't need to be ticked

My Android phone does this in a different way, providing these options in the drive app itself.

Other places...

On the Ios. Settings, scroll down to the drive App. You can turn off what Drive can access. One of the options is for notifications, and in there you can control what sounds are sent.

Also in Settings on my ipad, I have two BT connections to the XT. One starts BT, the other BLE. The (i) button offers an option to turn off system notifications.

Hope that helps.

If you really wish to disconnect the link between the Drive App and the XT this is probably best achieved in the iOS Drive App.
Settings->Forget Device. That breaks the link between Drive and the XT, but still keeps the BT connection open for phone calls etc

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:48 am On the XT, click the BT icon at the top of the main screen. If the phone and XT are linked, there is an option for Smartphone services.
Click that and you will find a list if check boxes under 'Smart Notifications' . You will probably find loads of thing in there that don't need to be ticked
Only "Incoming Calls", "Voice Mail", and "Text Message" are ticked there.
jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:48 am Other places...

On the Ios. Settings, scroll down to the drive App. You can turn off what Drive can access. One of the options is for notifications, and in there you can control what sounds are sent.
I can see here that turning Bluetooth off or turning off notifications should disable communication with the XT but don't see anything that would disable any alerts being passed through the Drive app.
jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:48 am Also in Settings on my ipad, I have two BT connections to the XT. One starts BT, the other BLE. The (i) button offers an option to turn off system notifications.
The system notifications setting is off.
jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:48 am If you really wish to disconnect the link between the Drive App and the XT this is probably best achieved in the iOS Drive App.
Settings->Forget Device. That breaks the link between Drive and the XT, but still keeps the BT connection open for phone calls etc
This may be the only sure way to exclude the Drive app as the source of the double-dings. Unfortunately, the double-dings don't occur often enough nor are they reproducible on demand so I think it will require riding a lot of miles under varied conditions without an occurrence of the double-dings to feel confident that the Drive app is the source.