How does the Direct activity profile work?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

How does the Direct activity profile work?

Post by Peobody »

If I were to create a route in Basecamp that had a Direct activity profile, how does the satnav I transfer it to (an XT in my case) know the sequence of waypoints in order to calculate the route as intended?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: How does the Direct activity profile work?

Post by sussamb »

Is there a reason why you're using the Direct Activity? That's really aimed at walkers etc.

I suspect if you send a route created using it your Zumo will just recalculate the route using the mapping data it has installed and the various points on your direct route. Bear in mind a Garmin satnav, at least all the recent ones, can only have 30 viapoints in a route.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

sussamb wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:50 pm Is there a reason why you're using the Direct Activity? That's really aimed at walkers etc.
The numerous discussions in which frustration is expressed due to recalcs by the satnav of routes created in Basecamp or other route creation tools has me wondering what a satnav does with a route from Basecamp created with a Direct Activity profile. I assume it calculates a route but I don't know what goes on behind the scenes for it to know the waypoints sequence to follow.

There may not be any benefit to having the satnav calculate the route instead of Basecamp but I am curious about what happens.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It sets the Xt to use off-road route preferences. You have to change the route to use faster time / shorter distance / adventurous routing to make the XT calculate the route. It keeps the via / shaping points in the correct sequence.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The light bulb just came on. Got it. Thanks!