Where are favourites stored - bulk remove

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Re: Where are favourites stored - bulk remove

Post by mastercore »

thanks @sussamb and @mzeist for this clarification. I can now safely go at it.

I am importing GPX files from a group that shares data on off road trails. The one I downloaded recently had a huge number of POI's stored as favouriest, (because they are part of the GPX file) and now they are stuck in the device. Too many to manually delete, but in amongst them are so waypoints I set.

Now I know what to do
A huge thanks
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad we could help, that's what this site is for :D
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry about this - but you did ask ! Pick out the bits that you need to know. If using memory card don't get fed up before you reach the bottom !

On the XT:

Favourites can be accessed and removed from the Zumo using 'Where To' -> Favourites ->3 bar menu->Delete Favourites (Select all or some).
History items can be removed in a similar fashion in Where To ?

Dont confuse POIs with Favourites. They are not the same thing - although you can use a POI in a route.

Favourites are what the Zumo calls stored locations which may contain address, phone number and other useful info. Basecamp calls these 'WayPoints'. They may be part of a route or the may exist without being part of a route - just waiting to be accessed if necessary.

When a route is transferred to internal memory, any waypoints that form part of that route are instantly placed in the Zumo Favourites. If your route has been created with a lot of Waypoints (eg using the flag tool in Basecamp), your list of favourites will grow again. You might have problems if the gpx file has been created on non-Garmin software, if the software doesn't fully understand Garmin's definition of a Waypoint.

A favourite may be transferred to the Zumo independently, but often they are locations that have been built into the route. They are stored along with the route file.

Routes and Waypoints are stored differently on the Memory card - for each route there is a file called Routex.gpx. For Waypoints there is a corresponding Waypoints.gpx. These can be deleted easily from the computer when it is connected to the USB cable.

When a route is transferred to memory card, the Waypoints have to be imported separately before they will appear in the Favourite list - whether or not the Waypoints were included in the route. (Where To->Favourites->3 bar menu->Import) ** But note the 'feature' described below.

Note that the 590, 595 and XT all have an annoying 'feature'. I hesitate to call it a bug - it may have been designed like this on purpose:

If you transfer routes to memory card, and you do not have at least one favourite stored in internal memory, then you will never be able to see the favourites that are on the memory card. If this happens, tap the map on the Zumo screen, then again to place a flag on the screen, and save that point as a favourite. The favourites on memory card will become visible in the list. This is worth remembering if you are about to delete your favourites list.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

mzeist wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:10 pm
mastercore wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:40 am Was hoping for more a scalpel approach rather than the sledge hammer.
My workflow:
  • copy all your favourites to (a new folder) in Basecamp.
  • in basecamp I use the 'scalpel' to remove (sometimes in bulk) what I want to remove.
  • use the 'sledge hammer' to delete everything in your gps device.
  • copy the refined list from Basecamp to your device.
this works for me, and I also end up with a backup of my favorites with no extra effort this way.
I found this discussion while searching for the best way to clean up saved waypoints on my XT. I just finished a 5 day trip. Five routes were transferred to the XT from Basecamp. After deleting those routes from the XT I was surprised to see all of their waypoints as Saved. I was also surprised that the search function does not work on the State field so I can't use that to quickly identify unwanted waypoints. I don't recall any such search capability in Basecamp either. Am I missing something in Basecamp that would make mass selection easy (eg: all waypoints in the Commonwealth of Virginia)? If not, is there any other benefit to using Basecamp other than PC instead of device?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You can assign Waypoints to Categories in Basecamp. One of the tabs on the Waypoint Properties dialog box. Make up your own names. Saved entries - or Favourites - will then list the Waypoints in their own subheading.

If you have Explore Enabled, you can use 'Collections'. If you really want to know how to do that, I'll add a link, but I'd hate you to assume that. I think that it is a good idea!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks. I will keep Categories in mind for future trips. In fact, I have recently completed the routes for a 14 day trip. I need to go back and add categories to those waypoints. This doesn't help with the current mess of waypoints on the XT though. If I do a "Delete all" on the XT, what happens to the ones associated with routes that remain on the XT internal storage?

Regarding Explore, are you talking about the Garmin Explore website? If so, I have never given it a thought considering the XT is not listed as a compatible device, at least not here: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=T ... rerRO1LHUA
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Where are Favourites Stored..

This is described in this section of 'Everything that you need to know'. Although I notice that I haven't once mentioned the word 'Waypoint'.
Routes/Trips and Waypoints are all stored int he same place. Except that it is different for the SD card.

If your data is stored in Internal Storage, as opposed to the SD card, then you could do this:

On the XT, check your lis of Favourites / Saved locations. Just so that you are familiar with what is there.

Connect the XT to the computer.

In Basecamp create a new List. Call it GPX-Current.
Select the new list and then the menu item File -> Import into GPX-Current -> Zumo XT/Internal Storage/GPX/Current.gpx
This should put all of the routes, tracks and waypoints (including any that are not in routes) back into Basecamp, and you will see them all listed in the lower right pane in Basecamp.
You can use the tiny filter icons at the bottom of this pane to show everything or just the tracks, just the waypoints, just the routes.
This will give you a bit of confidence about deleting everything from the XT - you can put them back again with categories added a bit later.

If you have files stored on the SD-Card, in the Garmin/GPX folder, then take a copy of them in case you need them, and delete them from the XT.

---

Now Disconnect the XT, and start it up.
Where to -> Favourites (or Saved) -> Spanner -> Delete ->Select All -> Delete
(Note that if you go to spanner again and select Import there should be no data to import after doing this).

Where to -> History -> 3 Bar menu -> Clear

Main Screen -> Tracks -> Tarck Icon -> Spanner -> Delete -> Select All -> etc

Apps -> Trip Planner -> Saved Trips -> Spanner -> Delete Trips - Select All -> Delete
(note if you click spanner again and select 'Import', some routes are available to import).

Connect the USB cable and let the XT connect to the computer.
Delete the file Zumo XT / Internal Storage / GPX / temp.gpx
Delete the file Zumo XT / Internal Storage / GPX / Current.gpx (yes, again).

Disconnect the cable, let the XT restart - or use the power button to make it restart. (I sometimes have to press it twice)
Let it get to the main menu, then...
Hold in the power button until you get the red button displayed to power the XT off.
Use the power button to let the XT restart again.

Now back to Basecamp.

Make any modifications to Waypoints that you need

Connect the XT to the PC with the USB cable.
Make sure that your map in BAsecamp matches the map in the Zumo.
Make sure non of the boxes are ticked in Edit -> Options -> Device Transfer

Transfer your routes and tracks and waypoints that you wish to have on your XT.
(You don't have to transfer Waypoints if they form part of a route, but you do have to transfer them if they are just there to put into Favourites/Saved. But if you end up transferring some twice, it doesn't matter, the XT will not duplicate them.

(If you ignored the bit about sending to Internal Storage, then create a single dummy waypoint and transfer that to internal storage. This is important if you want to have access to your Favourites / Saved locations that are on thte SD card).

-----------------------------

To answer your question about which to delete. Waypoints are odd. You can't always import them again if you delete them on the XT. So if you deleted them from the XT, the route would still work, and it would have the waypoint that you created for the route in place, but oddly, it will not show up in the list of Favourites / Saved.

Don't forget to import your routes.
And remember that if you reconnect the USB cable and transfer something else everything that you have just transferred will be over-written. So transfer everything again.

You should have no Waypoints available, none to import, no history, and no tracks.

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thank you for that detailed step-by-step.
jfheath wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:37 pm To answer your question about which to delete. Waypoints are odd. You can't always import them again if you delete them on the XT. So if you deleted them from the XT, the route would still work, and it would have the waypoint that you created for the route in place, but oddly, it will not show up in the list of Favourites / Saved.
This is ok. I only have 4 routes on my XT now and they are local routes that I ride regularly depending on how much time I have. If thoseroutes will still work after deleting their associated waypoints then the only waypoint of importance is Home. Deleting the rest will accomplish the clean-up I feel I need.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:30 pm You can assign Waypoints to Categories in Basecamp. One of the tabs on the Waypoint Properties dialog box. Make up your own names. Saved entries - or Favourites - will then list the Waypoints in their own subheading.
I have been trying to figure out "Categories". I have deleted all but two waypoints on my XT. I have edited those two adding "Home" as the category for each (edit done using the XT). I have added a category name of "SD Trip" to the waypoints of an upcoming trip and transferred two of those to the XT. My problem now is that I can not find a way to view or sort them by category when looking at the 'Saved' entries on the XT. Reminder: my goal is to be able to easily delete from the XT all waypoints associated with a completed trip. More help needed please.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Quick reply. I'm dashing off somewhere.

app.php/ZXT-P74

I'll come back and see if it actually answers your question later. But I think it has information that you haven't yet described.