Can I temporarily stop verbal instructions?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Re: Can I temporarily stop verbal instructions?

Post by Peobody »

I don't understand how having the phone paired to the headset has anything to do with GPS to headset communication. The problem is that the XT always takes priority (interrupts intercom communication). This is a Cardo issue. Contributing to it is how verbose the XT is and how long it takes for it to release the Cardo so that intercom communication can resume. Neither of these issues is fixable so I'm just trying to determine the best way to deal with it. Hopefully the Mute button on the XT will allow me to disable its verbal notifications when not wanted while allowing uninterrupted intercom communication.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I don't use spoken sounds but if I want to I go to the volume menu and under the sounds section I can turn on the "spoken navigation"

Once finished I do the same to turn it off

I use a cardo packtalk bold and with the spoken navigation it cuts the intercom as you say

But with it disabled the intercom is not affected at all
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:54 pm But with it disabled the intercom is not affected at all
Thank you! This is good to know. I hope the mute button works the same way. It is easier to get to.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:54 pm I don't use spoken sounds but if I want to I go to the volume menu and under the sounds section I can turn on the "spoken navigation"

Once finished I do the same to turn it off

I use a cardo packtalk bold and with the spoken navigation it cuts the intercom as you say

But with it disabled the intercom is not affected at all
I just returned from a ride during which I tested Mute and found that spoken navigation still interfered with intercom communication, interrupting with silence. I then turned off "spoked navigation" and found spoken navigation was still interrupting intercom communication with silence. I have XT connected to a Packtalk Bold and an iPhone. The phone is not connected to the Packtalk Bold. The XT is connected to the Packtalk Bold as a GPS. I wonder what piece of the puzzle Stu has that I am missing.

I am also surprised that the XT Owner's Manual does not contain any reference to "spoken navigation" or any information about the Volume button.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:30 pm
I just returned from a ride during which I tested Mute and found that spoken navigation still interfered with intercom communication, interrupting with silence. I then turned off "spoked navigation" and found spoken navigation was still interrupting intercom communication with silence. I have XT connected to a Packtalk Bold and an iPhone. The phone is not connected to the Packtalk Bold. The XT is connected to the Packtalk Bold as a GPS. I wonder what piece of the puzzle Stu has that I am missing.

I am also surprised that the XT Owner's Manual does not contain any reference to "spoken navigation" or any information about the Volume button.
I have just seen your other post and was going to reply there but it will make more sense here

When you are on map view press the back then press the volume button then from there you can disable the spoken navigation

Yes its slightly longer and more complicated than clicking mute but it does what you need
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:35 pm When you are on map view press the back then press the volume button then from there you can disable the spoken navigation
This is what I did. Intercom communication was still being interrupted with silence at points where spoken navigation would be. This was just like how Mute behaved.

I am leaving on a 5 day trip tomorrow so take advantage of every opportunity to try different combinations and timing to see if I can figure it out. (eg: maybe it needs to be unmuted before turning spoken navigation off)
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:19 pm
Stu wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:35 pm When you are on map view press the back then press the volume button then from there you can disable the spoken navigation
This is what I did. Intercom communication was still being interrupted with silence at points where spoken navigation would be. This was just like how Mute behaved.

I am leaving on a 5 day trip tomorrow so take advantage of every opportunity to try different combinations and timing to see if I can figure it out. (eg: maybe it needs to be unmuted before turning spoken navigation off)
Ah sorry I missed that bit of your post!

Not sure why thats not working for you but I have spoken navigation turned off and never have it interrupt my intercom
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

Turn the volume on the headset down to zero when you don't want to hear spoken instructions.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The original hope was to find a way to prevent spoken navigation from interrupting intercom communication. That doesn't appear possible so disabling spoken navigation has been pursued. Intercom communication needs to remain functioning.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'm not clear about how the cardo and the zumo and the pillion are interconnected in your set-up so I can't be of any help in that respect.

But coming at the problem from a different direction - have you tried navigating a track ? Convert your route to a track in Basecamp. Transfer the route and the track - just so that you have the choice. Load the track and say Go! You dont get any spoken directions at all. And if you deviate, it doesn't recalculate. You can display how far off route you are, and it will display a dotted straight line to the closest point. The track stays put.

I really couldn't see the advantage of this for a road route - until I tried it. It is really quite relaxing.

Screenshots and explanation here : app.php/ZXT-P48

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.