Reverse route in saved trip

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Reverse route in saved trip

Post by Scottnet »

Am I missing something or is there no option to reverse a route in a saved trip.

Thanks
Scott
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Reverse route in saved trip

Post by sussamb »

No there isn't.
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

Brilliant!
Garmin, come on. Stop making more unnecessary new hardware and put some effort into making some user friendly SOFTWARE!
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The reason there isn't on automotive devices is that it can cause issues. If it's a simple start and finish route it's easy enough to do, but if you have points, for example on one side of a divided highway, then reversing a route isn't a simple matter.

On the trail devices do have a reverse route option but then when hiking you don't have to deal with divided tracks 😁
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if you could select "Reverse" and if that specific route is not possible, as with the example provided (divided highway) have the software indicate so and offer to calculate the next closest possibility to the original route, not default to "fastest" "shortest" etc. No?
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Like was mentioned by sussamb, divided highways cause issues.... I tried using the 'invert' route in BC, not thinking about some route shaping points. I ended up with basically the route in reverse, but with some loop-d-loops around my shaping points....
Needless to say I had to add new shaping points for the reverse route on the other side of the divided hwy for the route to be correct.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

electro_handyman wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:35 am Like was mentioned by sussamb, divided highways cause issues.... I tried using the 'invert' route in BC, not thinking about some route shaping points. I ended up with basically the route in reverse, but with some loop-d-loops around my shaping points....
Needless to say I had to add new shaping points for the reverse route on the other side of the divided hwy for the route to be correct.
I've done the 'invert' in Base Camp too. That's when I learned the value of the 'DUPLICATE' function. And then, to avoid even further confusion, I put the duplicate inverted route in it's own list folder to edit it. I can really mess up my original route if I don't.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If you create a track of your route and upload that as well.
This has the advantage that you can draw the original track as well as the changeable route on the zumo screen at the same time.

But if you want to go in the opposite direction:
- you can follow the track 'by eye' with no spoken instructions.
- you can navigate the track in either direction - again by eye, but the XT points the direction and distance to the closest point if you wander away from it
- you can use the XT to convert the track to a 'trip' which you can navigate in either direction and that will give spoken directions.

This works well although it can produce odd behaviour in certain situations if you choose not to follow the plotted magenta line.
eg if you use it on a 'figure of 8' route or some circular routes.

I haven't followed one of these in reverse direction, but tracks don't have route points, so I can't imagine that it worries too much about being a few yards away from the wrong side of the road.

Not ideal, but it will get you home along the same roads.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Well, if you at the end of the route and want to go back on the same one, you can follow back the recorded track (not the one created from route in BC), provided it is set to record your movement. I always setting it on.

Another way is as jfheath said to use the track created in the BC from the route.
Another way is to create a duplicate route in BC, move it to a different folder and revert the route. Copy both to Zumo. This option is good even if you want to ride in a different direction from the start. One would ride say, clockwise and the other one counter clockwise.

Of course these are ways around. I understand what you mean. It would be easiest to click at the unit and it reversing the route as Garmin Montana does. However I've noticed many times that the newer software doesn't carry over good things from the old ones. I am a computer programmer myself and I know that anything is possible to program, (including sending a message notifying you that a via point is on the other side and will require a u-turn, follow by prompt if to bypass Y/N, etc. etc.). Requires more effort, coding lines, testing... The question is if they care doing it.
Bistoboy
Great Britain

Post by Bistoboy »

Not elegant but works. Go to your saved trips and select the route A to B. Select start point as point A ( you are now at point B) the XT will calculate its chosen route to get you to your start point ( where your now trying to get back to ). However it also shows you the original route from A to B as well. So you can see your route and ride it backwards. The Zumo will sulk, time to destination wont work nor will audio prompts but it does enable you to get back on the same route you created.