Zumo 595LM Not Recognized MacBook Pro M1 Max?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Zumo 595LM Not Recognized MacBook Pro M1 Max?

Post by PaulaRay »

I've had my Zumo 595LM since it came out and been using Garmin Express & Basecamp. Now, neither one is recognized on my new Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max OS Monterey.
I'm up to date in Monterey version 12.3, Garmin Express version 7.11.1.0 and Basecamp version 4.8.12 (4.8.12) The 595LM has software version 4.60
When plugged into any of my MacBook Pro USB-C ports, the 595LM only turns on and charges. Everything worked on my late 2016 MacBook Pro for over 5 years. Yes, I'm using the same oem Garmin cable and have tried many others.
Since it doesn't show as a volume, I checked my Security & Privacy Settings in System Preferences and all items for Garmin we're checked (see below). In addition, I re-downloaded Garmin Express. During the installation steps under License it showed a 403 Forbidden error for English (see below). Never saw that before. English is my choice of language.
I tried everything mentioned in the following 2 links; Nothing helped. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I'd like to add, I'm sure it's Garmin's software...... especially due to others having this same issue. I'm just hoping that someone here has found some type of workaround. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thank You. Ray

[url]https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=g ... tfound[url]

[url]https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=u ... tfound/url]

Garmin English.jpg
Garmin English.jpg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
Garmin Settings.jpg
Garmin Settings.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
Garmin Express.jpg
Garmin Express.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 595LM Not Recognized MacBook Pro M1 Max?

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums, thanks for your questions and for the detail that you provide.

I don't have a Mac, so my experience is limited.

But common issues are:

Another Usb port is in use and blocking the connection. It shouldn't but it does sometimes.
The Usb cable must provide a Charge And Synch connection. Some provide one, but not the other.
The Zumo may need to be in MTP mode (media transfer), rather than Mass Storage Mode.
Check that your battery is fully charged - some USB connection do not have enough power
Fully power off your Zumo before trying anything. ie hold in the power button until the screen prompts you to turn off.
Try another USB cable
Make sure that Express is not running - even in the background. Make sure - load it up and select the option not to run in the background when it is closed down. This is in the gear menu on a Pc.

To check the transfer settings on the Zumo.
Map->Speed indication (bottom lef)->Hold circular speed button for 10 secs until screen changes.

Find configuration and settings -> MTP settings. Choose MTP for media transfer ( gives device name), or Mass Storage - which gives drive letters.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Vespamarc
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
Belgium

Post by Vespamarc »

For Express, just click on continue and it install further. Works perfect after that.
U write, u use still the original cable, but... There is no usb A connection on a M1 Mac. And mostly that is the problem. If you us a hub that are usb3 ports. Best ius what i do, use a cable with micro usb to usb C connection. Can plugged direct in your Mac.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thank you jfheath for your help. I have previously tried everthing you stated with the exception of changing the MTP settings and making sure Express isn't running in the background. I just changed the MTP setting from MTP Auto Detect to Mass Storage but, it still just comes on when I connect it to the MacBook Pro as if I was charging it. In regards to Express, I made sure it wasn't open. Other than that, I'm not sure how I would go about making sure it's not running in the background for some reason. Thanks again for all your help and time, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Thank you Vespamarc for your help. I did select save and continued with the installation process for Express. It installed without any problems but, still doesn't recognize my Zumo 595LM. In regards to USB A, I've been using the oem Garmin data cable along with many other same type data transfer cables without any issues by using a USB A female to USB-C male patch cable since 2016 on my previous MacBook Pro. Now, with this new MacBok Pro M1 Max it's not being recognized. I've tried several different cables but, the issue remains. Other users are having the same issue (link below). Thanks agains again, I sincerely appreciate your help. Ray

[url]https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software ... update/url]
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

PaulaRay wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 am In regards to Express, I made sure it wasn't open. Other than that, I'm not sure how I would go about making sure it's not running in the background for some reason.
I don't know about the Mac version, but on the PC Version it is set from the gear icon. Click the Pic for a better image.
Every time a new version of Express comes out, it puts the tick back again, I have to remember to not allow it to run in the background.
Express Background Running.jpg
Express Background Running.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 6077 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Bluenoser2
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

Hi There:

I'm a newbie and just had this problem with my Mac so try this:

Download a copy of Android File Transfer https://dl.google.com/dl/androidjumper/ ... ansfer.dmg

1. Turn on Zumo and connect it to your Mac.
2. Open Android File Transfer (AFT).
3. Once AFT opens and lists your files files, I open Express. It may take a minute for Android to open or show the folders so be a little patient.
4. Express should say in order to continue, AFT must be closed - click ok to accept.
5. Voila! It connects and I tested several times.

I have always had some level of issues with Garmin products connecting to my Mac. In the past, quitting and re-opening Express usually worked until I had this recent issue,

Hope this helps.

Best,
David
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

jfheath wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:38 pm
PaulaRay wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 am In regards to Express, I made sure it wasn't open. Other than that, I'm not sure how I would go about making sure it's not running in the background for some reason.
I don't know about the Mac version, but on the PC Version it is set from the gear icon. Click the Pic for a better image.
Every time a new version of Express comes out, it puts the tick back again, I have to remember to not allow it to run in the background.

Express Background Running.jpg
Sorry for the delay..... Thank you for your help. I found it running in my upper Mac tab and un-checked it. I tried to connect the Garmin in both situations checked / un-checked but, no luck. I just did another Garmin Express update version 7.12.3.0 which didn't resolve my problem as well. Thanks again, appreciate the help.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Bluenoser2 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:29 pm Hi There:

I'm a newbie and just had this problem with my Mac so try this:

Download a copy of Android File Transfer https://dl.google.com/dl/androidjumper/ ... ansfer.dmg

1. Turn on Zumo and connect it to your Mac.
2. Open Android File Transfer (AFT).
3. Once AFT opens and lists your files files, I open Express. It may take a minute for Android to open or show the folders so be a little patient.
4. Express should say in order to continue, AFT must be closed - click ok to accept.
5. Voila! It connects and I tested several times.

I have always had some level of issues with Garmin products connecting to my Mac. In the past, quitting and re-opening Express usually worked until I had this recent issue,

Hope this helps.

Best,
David
Sorry for the delay..... Thank you for your help. I tried it, but it didn't recognize the Zumo as shown in the pic's below. I also did another Garmin Express update 7.12.3.0 No Luck........... Thanks again for your help.
Zumo.jpg
Zumo.jpg (60.59 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
Bluenoser2
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

No worries about the delay!

Does Garmin Express and BC have "Full Disk Access"? See screenshot. Was your Zumo on or off when you connected it?Image
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.58.54.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.58.54.png (84.5 KiB) Viewed 5963 times