Get past the point

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Get past the point

Post by Milu23771 »

Hello everyone, I searched in the topics, but I did not find, so I apologize if the topic had already been dealt with. It happens that, when I create a path with the new path mode, icon of the three green points, then adding point by point, without having first created any Waypoint, often placing a point, it happens that the magenta line, instead of going up there, you pass, thus showing the red direction arrows, which go beyond the last point created and then reverse the course and return there. The problem is that by transferring such a created path to my Zumo XT, I get constant U-turn requests at those points.
I saw a YouTube tutorial a few days ago, and during the creation of the route, the phenomenon also occurred to the Youtuber with some points placed.
Thanks to those who will be able to give me some tips. Hello
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Get past the point

Post by jfheath »

Hi Milu

When you place a point using the insert tool (pencil) or the new route tool (3 green squares), you can often get unexpected behaviour.

The point that you place can often jump or snap to a point that is different from the place that you thought you were pointing to. This can be for a number of reasons.
eg -
  • there is a 'known' location near to your pointer, and it has assumed that you wanted to select that point.
  • The map is not plotted accurately enough. - eg your map is set to Low, Lower or Lowest - when roads are often plotted with straight sections rather than curves.
  • You are not zoomed into the area where you are placing the point.
This behaviour is normal. It is annoying - but normal.

Once you have finished the route, double click on it to get the route properties dialogue box. See below.

Misplaced point.jpg
Misplaced point.jpg (108.47 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

Tick the 'Center Map' box (outlined in red in the picture above).
Then click on every point in turn in the list. The column is headed 'Via Point Name' - but it shows all of the points - Via Points and Shaping Points. The map will zoom in and show the point in the centre of the map, surrounded by an orange circle.
If it is incorrectly placed, then move it - right click on it and select Move Route Point (PC instruction).
Then double click the route again to continue.

Check every point that you have placed.

Make this a habit every time that you create a route. It is so easy to place a point on the wrong side of a dual carriageway. The problem is that to create a long route, you need to have a low level of detail map and show much of it on the screen at one. Otherwise the computer runs really slowly as it redraws all of the detail on the map.
But to place the points accurately, you need the map to be in High level of detail and zoomed in as close as you can get.

When I create a route these days, if I haven't already created the points that I need as waypoints, I just place them approximately, and then leave the accurate placing for when I check it later when it is zoomed in and showing a Higher level of detail

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Post by Milu23771 »

Hi Jfheath, in the meantime, thanks for your attention, but every time I create a path I do, also thanks to your old post, the control of Waypoints and shape points, bringing back those that have been fixed to the side on the road. However, I meant that for some points, as long as they are perfectly centered on the carriageway, the magenta line does not stop where the black dot is, but continues a few centimeters later, following the layout of the road. Sometimes by moving the point beyond the extension of the magenta line, the problem is solved and the line itself stretches as far as I have moved with the "move point" tool, other times I move and he overtakes me again, he doesn't want to to be defeated😁.
However, it is not a drama, because for some time, again thanks to your post, I got into the habit of creating my routes by first placing all the Waypoints where I will make stops or breaks in the journey, and then modeling it by adding points of shape and finally check all points. This way the problem does not occur, but when I am looking for new routes in areas I do not know, especially if I am looking for unpaved roads, the other method would be more convenient. Hello and thank you again for all the time and work used to help laymen like me🖐️
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

Thats very interesting that you mentioned this. The only time that I have an issue like this is if I stop plotting to delete or cut a point that I just installed. I then have to click just slightly ahead of the last waypoint remaining on the map to start plotting again. I cannot move the map to make my next point further away until a new point is plotted. I just need to cut the new point from the route when I am doing my final check through and then recalculate because a u-turn is indicated. I am not only check to make sure my waypoints are in the middle of the road, I am also ensuring that the directional arrows are all pointing in the same direction and not showing a u-turn. I have learned to not cut or delete a point that was mistakenly inserted till the final editing. I also plot out my routes on the Honda trip planner where I can type in my exact rte number and town, then just plot it in basecamp after I have the route done in trip planner. I also turn off being alerted when arriving at all waypoints except for the most important, the points that actually need to stop at. This way you can accidently miss the point and zumo will redirect you back to the route with out needing to go over that exact point.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I do my routes a slightly different way. I do not create it by connecting points start to finish because there's always something going wrong- u-turns, point placement, something. It was very frustrating. I learned to create my route by picking only the start and finish points and let BaseCamp make the route. Then by using the editing tools I insert, move and delete points to modify the route to what I want it to be. I've found this to be the simplest and least frustrating way especially when I've positioned a couple waypoints already. Ignore them at first, add them later.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

I would add my start and finish routes and adjust the middle also but the majority of my routes are out and back. A circular route for a 1 day ride
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

rufasim wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:53 am I would add my start and finish routes and adjust the middle also but the majority of my routes are out and back. A circular route for a 1 day ride
I still do those the same way making my start point about a mile down the road and my finish point at my driveway.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I too start routes just down the road. I've found, however, that Basecamp is happy to create a zero miles route from and to the same point. Adding a waypoint then extends the route, and you can add via and shaping points as necessary.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I like placing my start point a ways down the road, of course in the direction of intended travel. Riding from home it's no big deal- I know the roads. But when in unfamiliar territory I find this practice extremely helpful b/c once I start the route (GO), the device wants to take me to my designated start point. So, in the morning, riding around an unfamiliar town for fuel, breakfast and anything else, the gps doesn't send me to my start point at my motel. It sends me to my start point outside of town.

Plus sometimes my gps gets really stupid when the start and finish are the same. I found that out the hard way.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

This is a really encouraging thread A group of like minded souls, having read and researched the information available and finding different ways to do things. I'm trying not to make comment - its just nce to watch others emphasising the 'must know' things about the Zumos. I don't need to.

But I have a comment and a question related to this contribution.
rufasim wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:23 am I also turn off being alerted when arriving at all waypoints except for the most important, the points that actually need to stop at. This way you can accidently miss the point and zumo will redirect you back to the route with out needing to go over that exact point.
From what I have read, I assume that every one in this thread knows that a Waypoint is one of the pre-saved points that gets transferred to Favourites (or 'Saved'.). They usually get placed in routes as Via Points, but they can be made non alerting - which makes them shaping points.

"You can accidentally miss the point". Yes - you can. Actually, I often put shaping points to mark optional coffee stops. So I spot the detour ahead, decide I'm not bothered and carry straight on, ignoring the instructions. I always make sure that there is another point up ahead that I will go through whether or not I stop for coffee. As soon as I join the magenta route, the satnav doesn't mind that I have missed out a shaping point.

The question is concerning this statement : "you can accidently miss the point and zumo will redirect you back to the route with out needing to go over that exact point".
I was going to disagree and say that it doesn't direct you back to the route. It keeps trying to take you back to the missed shaping point - unless you join the magenta route after the missed point. But then I realised that I haven't actually tested this on the XT and assumed that it behaves like the 590 and 595. I'm beginning to realise that it is folly to think that it behaves the same. It doesn't.

@rufasim - I think I am correct in thinking that you have an XT. I'm wondering if you have spotted something that I have missed and the XT actually heads you back to the route rather than the missed shaping point.

This is actually a realistic possibility - because this is exactly what happens if you deviate from a track that has been converted to a trip from the Zumo menu. But a trip obttained in this way does not have any shaping points, it never gets recalculated and the route is fixed in place.

So when navigating a route and missing out a shaping point - what does it do - take you to the route as best it can, or does it take you to the missed shaping point - until you a have rejoined the original route after the missied point ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.