Issues..

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Issues..

Post by jfheath »

I am still watching with interest .....

Yes, a route point out of sequence can cause all sorts of issues.

You can also edit the route by dragging the line in the table to its desired row - as an alternative to using the arrows.

Note that Basecamp on the PC has an annoying fault. When you start to move the order of points about, BC temporarily shows the routes as straight lines between the points. That makes sense - it is easier to see what is happening.

But sometimes it shows an additional line which connects the moved point to the end point. is annoying because that moved point then has three straight lines connecting to it rather than two, which can lead to confusion because it looks as though you have a route which doubles back on itself. This. error only affects the display of the route, not the route itself. If it happens, just recalculate the route to remove the rogue line on the display.

-----

There is an option to split and join routes in the pop up menu when you right click on the route on the map. (I think). Maybe you split it by mistake. I've never used it - 'cos I keep forgetting that it is there. I usually select points from the trip list, copy them and then paste them into a different trip list.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If your route was split on your Zumo it'll be because you exceeded the maximum number of via points allowed, you need to either reduce them to under 30 or convert some to shaping points.

Not sure why it would be split in BaseCamp? Joining routes in BC is very simple though 😁
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

I ended up deleting, then re-creating 2 sections..I think it’s all good now.
Certified JB Welder
KSza1
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by KSza1 »

You can only have 30 waypoints (announcing) in a route but 125 shaping points (non-announcing) in between each one. When you go above 30 your routes gets broken down into the number of sections to comply with the 30 max waypoints. Double click on your route in basecamp and you will see your routes vias(way points) listed. Right Click on the second via point and it will give you the option to not alert. Click on that. Go through your route and only leave less than 30 via points with the rest converted to shaping (non-announcing) points. That way you can get a one day route down to 1 route for the day.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks @KSza1 . Very clear.

One small correction. Via Points and Waypoints are not the same thing. A waypoint is a saved location, usually created in Basecamp with the Waypoint flag tool before starting to create a route.

When you add a Waypoint to a route, Basecamp usually places it as a Via Point by default. But it can be set to ' Do not Alert' - which makes it a shaping point.

In Basecamp, the true Waypoints show up in the lower left window pane along with the routes and tracks. On the Zumo, they show up in the 'Favourites' or 'Saved' lists.

------

I like to name my route points to include a day number and sometimes the milage. eg 01 123 Carlisle. Because the XT v6.30 annoyingly renames many route points, I have started to make all of my key point as Waypoints first. The XT will not rename those. I create the route from the lidt of Waypoints and then I drag in any additional points that are necessary with the insert tool.

Then I set all except start and end to shaping points, and finally change 2 or 3 stopping places to Vias. So most of my points are Waypoints, only 2 or 3 are Via points (plus start and finish).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

Improper methodology has caused me so many problems…I simply clicked on route..”Create a route”..then I closed the route creating dialog box, then clicked on the map with the mouse to define the route. During the last 3 years I made changes to the route, so I simply highlighted the route, then dragged the route to change it. This led to the route changing direction midway through the route - which would have been an unmitigated disaster while on the motorcycle. Thank god I now have time to fix the issues.
Certified JB Welder
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Bob - if those videos have helped make it clear, I'll create a simpler, less user specific version and pop it on here for everyone to see.

(On the other hand, if they have confused you, I'll keep quiet !!).

CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

jfheath wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:47 pm Bob - if those videos have helped make it clear, I'll create a simpler, less user specific version and pop it on here for everyone to see.

(On the other hand, if they have confused you, I'll keep quiet !!).
The videos are very, very good. As I slowly work through the various issues I refer to them as needed.
Certified JB Welder