Can imported routes be re- imported?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Can imported routes be re- imported?

Post by jfheath »

It seems not. But with Pc and study out of action, I cannot investigate for a week.

Let me describe -

It used to be the case on the 590 and 595 that when you transferred a route to the Zumo, you could import it, and then delete it and have it available to reimport. Sometimes annoying because you could end up with multiple copies of the same route, but very useful otherwise. All of your transferred routes were always on hand, so you were not restricted to the limit of 20 or so routes that could be imported.

Now it seems that once a route has been imported, if you delete it , the route has gone for good and is no longer available to re- import.

This appears to be a double whammy because if you edit the imported route, you cannot then revert to the original.

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour? Or have I screwed something up on my device ? V2.90 of software.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Re: Can imported routes be re- imported?

Post by sussamb »

I've noticed that too recently on my devices. Discovered that even if I deleted the route and sent a new one with BaseCamp it wouldn't reimport. Only once the original was deleted from Trip Planner will it import again.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

As mentioned, with the 590/595 devices this is not a problem. Have you tried copy & paste or drag & drop to the user memory rather than transferring to the device? It may be difficult- for whatever reason my 595 used to allow this but suddenly does not. I keep getting a "communication with SD card" error. For many yrs putting routes on the SD card rather than in device memory was the way I did it exclusively. Garmin's last Base Camp update changed something.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmm.

Hi Russ. I prefer not to use the memory card for routes and trip data. I have noticed odd behaviour in how the Zumos have dealt with the memory card differently. Eg - Waypoints should appear as Favourites when sent to the Zumo. If they are sent to the memory card they do not show up unless there is at least one Favourite already stored in internal memory.

With an hour to kill and just my XT on hand I tried what I could.

This is merely observation - I am just documenting what I spotted in case I forget later !

I have 7 trips that I have imported into internal memory - they are ready to be loaded and run on each of 7 forthcoming rides.
None of these trips appear in the list of trips that can be imported.

I also have 2 test routes that are not imported, but which have been transferred to internal memory.
These 2 trips DO appear in the list of trips that can be imported.

I tried sharing the 7 trips by saving them to the memory card from the XTs share trip app.
The newly saved trips still did not appear in the list of trips that could be imported.
I deleted one of the trips that was already imported and that I had finished with. It was not available to import again.
Still the only trips available for import were the 2 test routes.

So I imported one if the test routes.
As soon as I did that, the import list looked different. It now contained 9 trips. The 2 test routes, and the 7 trips that I had been trying to obtain.

The trouble is, I do not know which set of 7 trips it is finding - the ones that I originally transferred to internal memory, or the ones that I have just saved to memory card by the Share facility. They will both have the same name.

Russ- I generally use transfer to device from Basecamp via the USB cable, or the drag and drop method to drop the routes from Basecamp onto the Internal memory entry in the left navigation pane in Basecamp.

I dont have any answers to this - just observations. But I have a shrewd suspicion about what is happening here. I just need to test it out.

This really matters to me. I want to be sure that when out on a trip, I know that I can reload my original route.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

rbentnail wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:09 pm As mentioned, with the 590/595 devices this is not a problem. Have you tried copy & paste or drag & drop to the user memory rather than transferring to the device? It may be difficult- for whatever reason my 595 used to allow this but suddenly does not. I keep getting a "communication with SD card" error. For many yrs putting routes on the SD card rather than in device memory was the way I did it exclusively. Garmin's last Base Camp update changed something.
OK. I've done a little practical testing with both the internal memory and the SD card on my 595.

Importing from either works fine. The difference is when a route is deleted. When the route is imported from internal memory and deleted, the route is completely gone and cannot be re-imported without being re-transferred.

When the route is stored on the SD card as I normally do, when deleted the route is removed from internal memory only. It still remains on the SD card and will readily re-import. I've done this several different times with the same route: import, delete, re-import, re-delete, repeat. Works fine. Managing SD card files was still unavailable at this point.

The other problem I was having was communicating with the SD card. All of a sudden I was not able to drag & drop routes to it. Nor was I able to manage any files even when the card is plugged directly into my laptop separate from the device. I found that somehow, some way, the 595 (or Garmin, Inc.) has applied write protection to the card. I know this because the card IS write protected and since the card was inserted in 2018 it has never been removed from the device. I've tried several different ways to remove the protection all to no avail. I'm guessing the card is probably trash now. I inserted a different card and all is well- I can drag & drop routes, modify or delete them, etc. An added plus- I have no idea where the spare SD card came from or what it was used for. I simply inserted it without formatting and turned on the device. The 595 asked if I wanted to format it, and gave the standard warning of losing all data if yes. I chose yes. Done!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A