Trip Planner Trips not saving?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
adm

Trip Planner Trips not saving?

Post by adm »

OK, new user here, but I can create trips easily enough in Trip Planner, then tell it to save and name the trip. But when I go to Save Trips, it's not there. This doesn't seem to happen all the time, just most of it.

Imported Trips from Basecamp are fine - they show as "Imported Trips" funnily enough!

The one time I did manage to get a trip to save, I navigated the route, but after I had got home and went to look at the trip again, it had disappeared!

Anyone seeing similar behaviour or have any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Firetuck

Re: Trip Planner Trips not saving?

Post by Firetuck »

I’m having the same problem. Maybe someone will chime in with a solution.
ledwardio
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by ledwardio »

Just trying out my new XT and my Trip Planner is doing this - I made a simple trip, called it 'Test', but when I went back it wasn't showing any Saved Routes. I figured I must have gone wrong and not saved it so tried again, but it wouldn't let me save the second route as 'test' as it already existed - yet there's nothing saved and nothing to import. Not impressed.

Anyone got ay suggestions?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No problems here.
What version of the systems software are you using?
Mine is v6.20

Just to be clear, because it is easy to miss out an important step when naming/saving.

Main screen->Apps->Trip planner->New Trip

Make it easy. Select Start Location->Where I Am Now->Select

Select Destination->Favourites or History->Select somewhere from the list. Preferably not too far away->Select

Dont bother with adding a mid point. Just press Next.

Let it calculate, press Save.

Give it a new name. Press Done.

------

Thats ready to go, ut before loading running it, check it has saved.

Back to main screen
MainScreen->Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips

Your trip should be in the list, under a black banner -Saved Trips.

If it isn't, then it would help to know what step it fails at.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ledwardio
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by ledwardio »

Thanks for the reply.

My unit is on v6.20 too.

The method I used is pretty much exactly as you describe, though I used Home as Stating Point and chose a destination and 1 intermediate stop from Explore Waypoints.

But trying it again this morning and it worked :shock: Though it still will not let me save using either name of the 2 trips that I made and tried to save yesterday so it still thinks they are there. I've gone through a few variations of input and destination type and distance to see if I can find an aspect it doesn't like but today it is saving them all.

Is frustrating inconsistency going to be standard fare with the XT? :lol:

I'm coming from a 660 which I used for Scatter Rallies and general use, it was fairly robust but getting on a bit hence the upgrade. Some aspects of the XT are clear and clever but some feel like a backward step and don't really make sense, like the categories not showing up when you do Where To > Favourite, so I've starting using the Explore Collections, but when trying variations for the testing above I chose Favourites in Trip Planner and there they were all categorised! Grumble over :lol:

Thanks again for your help, just that alone seems to have somehow fixed it, as if by magic... ;) I'll keep playing with it and hopefully can pin point what combination was causing the problem
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Let us know if you discover the issue.

It may be that the name you are using is not valid, rather than the name being used already. Ive not come across an invalid name though.

Its a computer. it doesn't do inconsistent. Theres always a reason. But finding it is a challenge sometimes.

Coming from the 660 is a massive step. Things will seem very weird / annoying / frustrating.
But there is a bug when using the XT to create a route. It makes the points with flagged via points. If you try to change them to shaping points (blue disc), it moves the point ! For that reason I find using the XT to create anything but a simple route completely unworkable. I always use Basecamp.

Categories.
Ive never used them before, but had a dabble a couple of days ago, and noticed a category heading in one if the Basecamp dialog boxes. Make up your own category name and if you use the same name a couple of times, it becomes usable on the XT.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.