How do I stop my Zumo 396 from *recalculating a route* before I even start??

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
drdeb
United States of America

How do I stop my Zumo 396 from *recalculating a route* before I even start??

Post by drdeb »

I created a route in Basecamp with many waypoints. I Uploaded it to my device successfully. When I went to use that route, it recalculated the route for the shortest possible way. I even tried changing the settings to "adventurous and curvy" routes but it still shortened it the fastest way. The only thing the same was the start and end points. What am I missing? Any help is much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: How do I stop my Zumo 396 from *recalculating a route* before I even start??

Post by sussamb »

What are you choosing as your first destination? Sounds to me like you may be choosing the last point rather than the first?
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: How do I stop my Zumo 396 from *recalculating a route* before I even start??

Post by tojjer »

I had exactly the same, and that's what I was doing wrong
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The Zumo will recalculate a route when it is transferred or imported if the map used to create it is not identical to the one in the Zumo.

It will always calculate a route from where you are now to the via point that you choose from the list of Via Points when it asks you to select your next destination. It will plan a new route ignoring any route points up to the point you have selected. So if you choose the end point - you get a completely new route to the end !

You will always get a 'calculating' when you start a route, as it calculates a way to get to the start point. This will not take it very long if you are already there. If it takes longer than you think it should, then it is calculating to a Via Point further along the route. Probably to the end if you have no via points except start and finish.

Tip. Always put the start of a route a little way up the road from where you intend to mount your bike. It saves a lot of heartache.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.