Bluetooth has me using blue language

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
craig.wagner
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Bluetooth has me using blue language

Post by craig.wagner »

I use a Cardo Packtalk Bold as my comm system.

I used to use a zumo 550. I paired the Cardo with the 550 and the Cardo with my phone (Android). All good. I could hear route instructions, I could use the phone for music, and I could control the music with the Cardo voice commands.

I can't seem to get the XT2 to play nice with that combination. I reset the Cardo to erase all paired devices, paired the Cardo with my phone for calls and audio, then paired the XT2 to the Cardo. As soon as I do that, I lose pairing to my phone, so no music.

The XT2 seems to want to be in the middle of the relationship. Okay, I pair the phone with the XT2 and the XT2 with the Cardo. I can now hear music and route instructions, but the prev/next and pause/play commands on the XT2 screen do nothing. And because the music is going phone > XT2 > Cardo, none of the voice commands work.

Here's what I'd really like:

1. Phone connected via Cardo so I can use voice commands for calls & music.
2. XT2 connected via Cardo so I can hear route instructions.
3. XT2 connected to Tread on phone for traffic, weather, etc (optional, I could live without this).

Has anyone succeeded in finding any magic combo that would make the above work?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 295 times
United States of America

Re: Bluetooth has me using blue language

Post by Peobody »

I use an XT with a Packtalk Bold. The best I came up with is:

- The XT is the hub. My iPhone is paired to the XT. My Packtalk is paired to the XT.

- Music was always a problem when trying to play it from the phone so I put it on the XT and then turned off the "Media Audio" option in phone connection settings on the XT. I rarely ride with music playing so this setup is not thoroughly vetted, just briefly tested.

- I often ride two-up. My wife has the mate to my Packtalk. There is no way to prevent the XT voice navigation from interrupting helmet-to-helmet communication so I now ride with voice navigation turned off.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
craig.wagner
United States of America

Post by craig.wagner »

Peobody wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:49 pm I use an XT with a Packtalk Bold. The best I came up with is:
After unpairing everything I set it up as you suggested. At least I can pause/skip now using the XT2, so that's an improvement. Still wish I didn't lose the voice controls, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
jfheath
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 649 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've done more or less what @Peobody has described - except that I pair the XT as a second phone to my Cardo Packtalk Edge, not as a GPS. I think that this means that voice is transmitted in two directions between cardo and XT - but mainly it leaves the phone to XT connection free for when I want to use the set-up app on the phone.

What I did with mine to get what I wanted is documented in a pdf here.
viewtopic.php?t=2257&hilit=packtalk

I thought that I had voice to Hey Google working at one point, but I cannot be sure. It meant I had to allow voice control of the phone even in standby mode - which I didn't want. I was also working at my desk - to the phone could have picked up my commands without going by the XT. I felt that it should have been possible, but since I wasn't bothered, I didn't put much effort into it.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
craig.wagner
United States of America

Post by craig.wagner »

jfheath wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:08 am What I did with mine to get what I wanted is documented in a pdf here.
viewtopic.php?t=2257&hilit=packtalk
I think I love you! :D

I unpaired everything and followed your instructions. I now appear to have everything working as I want it. I can control playback of music from the XT2 and it appears I have the Cardo voice commands back as well.
jfheath
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 649 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

craig.wagner wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:31 pm I think I love you! :D
I bet you say that to all of the Obsessive, Compulsive XT nerds that you meet ?

Glad it is working as you want it though !
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC