Newbie with a question

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
lou
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Newbie with a question

Post by lou »

Hi Everyone

Had the Zumo XT for around 6mnits now getting on with great . Have a question about gpx transfers. Have a European trip planned end of this week. My friend has worked out a route on his TOM TOM my drive and sent me a gpx output from that.
I was not sure weather to import the tracks to trip planner or just activate/select tracks from the apps icon. It does lookk like if i try and import the tracks into trip planner app it then re-routes based on settings on the zumo ie fastest route etc. Is my understanding of this correct ?

The first route for day one starts in France so thinking that i should activate that track once we are ready to start that route on day 1.

Anyway hope above makes sense look forward to any help

Thanks

Lou
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Newbie with a question

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum

Is there any chance you can upload a copy of the files so someone can take a look?
lou
Great Britain

Post by lou »

Hi Stu

See attached this is proposed route on the first day. Pretty sure it changes it if i import it into trip planner. Anyway see what you think etc

Thanks for the help

Lou
Attachments
Jul1-Coquelles_to_Troyes[1].gpx
(249.14 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

@lou I have just opened it up in basecamp and its straight lines to the waypoints! there is no shaping points at all so your zumo would decide the route

The track shows the route you should be taking though so you could convert that to a route
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have recalculated it in basecamp and it shows the same route as the track

I have also imported it in to myrouteapp and it also shows the same

Personally I would use myrouteapp for routes as you can download routes for tomtom or garmin so you could manipulate them to work on both regardless of settings
lou
Great Britain

Post by lou »

Hi Stu

Thanks for the help on this . When you say ...'I have also imported it in to myrouteapp and it also shows the same'... did you mean on the XT apps - trip planner- import then select the saved track

or

2. did you mean ..tracks -select - then convert to trip ....

After i have done 2

Does look like 2 follows the original Track.

Whats confusing me is that if i go through the XT app, then select track then select the route it then gives me the option to 'go' and the route is displayed providing I am at or near the start point, can i should i just do it that way ?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

No I mean https://www.myrouteapp.com/

I use this for planning my routes rather than basecamp :)
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There are a number of ways that you can navigate with the XT.

if you load a track, it can be just displayed on the screen for you to follow by eye.
You can load a track and press Go ! and although you get no spoken directions, the trip data display can be configured to show how far off course you have deviated and the map will show a dotted straight line back to the original track. This is actually a lot more useful than I first though it might be.
You can use the XT to convert a track to a 'trip'. Not the same sort if trip as produced in trip planner, but the XT will give turn by turn directions, and it will get you back on course if you deviate.
Then there is the normal navigation of a route, and with a route with a track drawn underneath it.

All of these and one I have forgotten to mention are described in pictures here, and on subsequent pages.

app.php/ZXT-P45

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.