No share with garmin drive app

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
XT-T
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

No share with garmin drive app

Post by XT-T »

hi, since i updated the MRA app i now cannot share a route with the garmin drive app on IOS, when i click save as in MRA the only option now is to download the route to my phone, which i cannot them transfer to my XT.
Newbie with an XT that I don't know how to use
casbar
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: No share with garmin drive app

Post by casbar »

Just had a look and it has changed, but on my iPhone under save, I picked gpx 1.1 and it came up with an option to open in "Drive" which I did and you and then in garmin drive and can pass to the XT as before. Difference is I didn't have loads of options to save where I had to pick drive. But it still works ok. Update, under the open in drive option, below is more, if you click that, you get all the normal options to save, including the drive app as well
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I don't use MRA but with Basecamp the way mine works is that I have to make the .gpx file available to my phone either by saving it on the phone, accessing it on iCloud, or as an email attachment. I then must use the "Share" option to share the .gpx file with the Drive app.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
XT-T
Great Britain

Post by XT-T »

casbar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:03 am Just had a look and it has changed, but on my iPhone under save, I picked gpx 1.1 and it came up with an option to open in "Drive" which I did and you and then in garmin drive and can pass to the XT as before. Difference is I didn't have loads of options to save where I had to pick drive. But it still works ok. Update, under the open in drive option, below is more, if you click that, you get all the normal options to save, including the drive app as well
I find it better to use the 1.0 GPX format, as for MRA app they have taken most of the original functionality away & left it as a tracklog or route viewing function, a backwards step in my view so now you have to use the online site to do what you used to be able to do in the app
XT-T
Great Britain

Post by XT-T »

what i have discovered is, use the “save as’ as normal, download to your iphone, go to the files app, hold your finger on the gps file you just downloaded until a menu appears & then share it to the garmin drive app.
casbar
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by casbar »

I don't have any issues. I just hit save as, my app on my iPhone then gives me the drive as an option straight away. But if I hit the more word underneath I get the drive icons and all the other options to save to as before. So either I am missing the problem, or for some reason my iPhone is doing something different with the app. Yes it is different than before the update, but everything is still there just the same 8-)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

XT-T wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:11 pm what i have discovered is, use the “save as’ as normal, download to your iphone, go to the files app, hold your finger on the gps file you just downloaded until a menu appears & then share it to the garmin drive app.
There are a couple of ways of getting the route into the XT, all of which are under the save menu.
  • Create a gpx file and download it. Your android/Ios will save it in its download area - wherever yours is located.
  • Send it by email. This is particularly useful when using A PC with no way of talking wirelessly to the XT. E-mail it to your phone. Open the attachment in Drive and send it to the XT. Much quicker than transferring via USB cable, less wear and tear on the USB socket, and this method by-passes the issues with temp.gpx. Routes are stored in separate files in the Internal Storage/GPX folder, so they remain their unti you delete the file. This makes itpossible to delete your trips in trip planner, knowing full well that they will be there to import again.
In both cases, the option to open in Drive should be present as already describe - although you may need to hunt for it - as mentioned above.
XT-T wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:47 pm I find it better to use the 1.0 GPX format, as for MRA app they have taken most of the original functionality away & left it as a tracklog or route viewing function, a backwards step in my view so now you have to use the online site to do what you used to be able to do in the app
I think that they have been caught out like many of us with how the XT works so differently from the previous models. In spite of using the HERE maps, which MRA say are the same as the ones used by Garmin, my XT has always recalculated the route from when it is transferred. This is something that most Zumos will do when it spots that the map being used to plan the route is different from the map used on the Zumo. The difference may be minor. One version of the map - had a very minor naming difference - it was something like 2019.10 on the XT, but Basecamp had it as 2019.1) - and for the next couple of months until the next map was published, the Zumo would recalculate every route.

If my observations from using MRA routes are the same as everyone else's, then it makes no sense to transmit the entire route - the Zumo will change it as soon as it receives it.. (Edit. This is not correct. I have just repeated a series of tests, and the route was not recalculated on import - but it has done in the past. Perhaps due to map versions being out of phase on MRA and on my XT). Even with Basecamp, where the route is transferred exactly as it is to the XT, the XT seems to want to recalculate the route at the first opportunity. (Traffic, road works, pressing skip, slight deviation, your own riding style (perhaps) and other situations that I haven't fully worked out). With behaviour like this, the only thing keeping the route in place is the via points and shaping points.

As for the various versions of export in MRA - I have summarised the 4 main types of gpx file here. ttps://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P76

But briefly out of the 3 Route, Track, POI options, all of them transfer the track 'as is'. The route is transferred as a series of points.
  • V1.0 transfers all of the route points - but they are all set as alerting Via Points, regardless of how they were set in MRA.
  • V1.1 Transfers all of the route points and keeps their status of Via Point and Shaping Point (Hand and Tear drop in MRA).
  • V1.2 Transfers only the Via Points (The hand icon in MRA). None of the Shaping Points are transferred. There must be a use for this, but I cannot think what that may be.
POIs get transferred like Garmin Waypoints and end up in Favourites / Saved locations, but as far as I have been able to tell, these Waypoints are not used by RMA as Via Points or Shaping Points.

I note that there is a little (i) icon alongside v1.2, saying that it makes the distinction between via and shaping points. That is not what I have observed. v1.1 is the one that I use if I want to keep the Vias and Shaping Points as they are on my planned route.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
SiDziner
United States of America

Post by SiDziner »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:31 am But briefly out of the 3 Route, Track, POI options, all of them transfer the track 'as is'. The route is transferred as a series of points.
  • V1.0 transfers all of the route points - but they are all set as alerting Via Points, regardless of how they were set in MRA.
  • V1.1 Transfers all of the route points and keeps their status of Via Point and Shaping Point (Hand and Tear drop in MRA).
  • V1.2 Transfers only the Via Points (The hand icon in MRA). None of the Shaping Points are transferred. There must be a use for this, but I cannot think what that may be.
POIs get transferred like Garmin Waypoints and end up in Favourites / Saved locations, but as far as I have been able to tell, these Waypoints are not used by RMA as Via Points or Shaping Points.

I note that there is a little (i) icon alongside v1.2, saying that it makes the distinction between via and shaping points. That is not what I have observed. v1.1 is the one that I use if I want to keep the Vias and Shaping Points as they are on my planned route.
Interesting. I just did this over the weekend. I saved MRA routes to my google drive, then "shared" them on my phone to the garmin drive app to send to the XT. The routes saved as V1.1 transferred all points (hand and teardrop) as announcing via points. V1.2 transferred the "hand" points as announcing via points, and the tear drops as shaping points that did not announce. i.e. exactly what the little (i) indicates it does. Maybe it was a bug and has been updated and fixed since you last tried it?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for that - very curious. I realised that it was March since I last tested it, so I tested again before writing that little lot, just to make sure.
I was using the Web based version on my PC. Which were you using ? Android ? iOS ?

I'll check what those two do now that you have identified an issue !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
SiDziner
United States of America

Post by SiDziner »

I saved the routes using my PC directly from MRA web app to my Google drive. Then used the Google drive app on my android phone to share to Garmin drive.