Cardo & Zumo XT Recommendations Please

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Cardo & Zumo XT Recommendations Please

Post by jfheath »

I'm looking at the Cardo Kit - and although I have years of experience with Autocom Intercoms, I haven't got a clue what I am looking for with BT kit
- except, that is, I know that some earlier kit did not have the ability to provide me with what the Autocom gives me - but maybe the newer stuff will - some are described as having 3 bluetooth channels.

My current set-up is

Autocom SuperPro Avi - wired connections to both rider and pillion
Android Phone
Zumo XT - with a BTM-03 Bluetooth module plugs into the intercom (stereo, voice and phone)

This enables me to do everything that I want

ie Listen to music from the XT - with volume turned way down for pillion
Hear stanav instructions - again with volume turned down for pillion
Speak to each other
Both take part in the same phone conversation
All phone activity - calls, caller display, texts, with clear option to accept and reject on the XT screen
I can play music from phone to this system, but the sound is jerky coming from (say) spotify when on the move so I use the XT's MP3 facility instead.

I've just bought two brand new helmets and was going to buy new headsets from autocom
But the opportunity to buy completely different gear presents itself.

So I need some advice please, if anyone can help.

What should I be looking for in the vast array of Cardo kit ?
Has anybody done all fo the above? If I can't do any one of those things, I'll stick with Autocom.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Cardo & Zumo XT Recommendations Please

Post by rbentnail »

Maybe I'm just too old but if what you have does everything you want and works fine then why change? Given the years of difficulty of Garmin's finicky Bluetooth.....
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I have new helmets, so I need to fit mics and earphones. These things don't last forever, and I always carry a spare set - as I have found that they only ever fail when I am using them. So I was about to order two complete headsets. That is quite an outlay - so I thought that I would take a look at the alternatives especially since fitting the autocom stuff requires getting into the inside of the helmet.

Just getting information so that I can weigh up my options.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I am a little late but will contribute my two cents in the hopes it will be of value. First let me say that the Zumo XT is my first foray into GPS land. I use it with a Cardo Palktalk Bold headset which happens to be my first foray into a mesh/bluetooth headset. Prior to that I used J&M corded headsets connected the the built-in intercom capability of a Goldwing. I am pretty pleased with the Packtalk Bold. The absolute only complaint I have is that that spoken navigation instructions from the XT override intercom communications. There is no way to prevent that. I wouldn't be bad if the XT wasn't so verbose and so slow to release the headset. When riding two-up my workaround is to selectively enable spoken navigation and letting my wife know it is on. It also has worked well communicating with a fellow rider who has a Cardo Smartpack. I have not tried pairing it to a Sena or any other brand.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for that reply @Peobody - sorry I am late coming back to it. I've been busy doing other stuff.
I note that Autocom have either gone out of business, or are winding down. There are very few parts available. Since Mics give up fairly frequently - 18months-2 years. I have a couple of spares - but I'm busy dealing with BT from the XT to the autocom anyway, and it is not good if I start the engine after te link has been established. It just breaks the connection and wont restart unless I turnt he ignition off an reboot the bike and intercom.

The autocom nicely dims the volume of the XT when we are talking on the intercom. Is the Packtalk Bold a dual channel device ?

Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have a packtalk and have only just seen this post!

The packtalk is a dual channel but for the purpose you want you will find a lot of annoyances!

The sharing music is a pain in the rear and the intercom dims it but to a low volume far too often even when not speaking and the intercom will cut it completely not sure for pillion though

Sharing phone calls I have never tried that

I very very rarely have any audio on from the zumo and if I have music I am out on my own and usually its just the radio

Voice activation with google works well though but I prefer to see whats going on with the phone if I use that
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've taken the plunge.

Details of how this works for my requirements are posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=2257