Accidently emptied my database

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
groundhog719
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Accidently emptied my database

Post by groundhog719 »

I was trying to copy some waypoints (with the "copy" command in a Basecamp drop-down menu) from an old database ("2021"), switch to another database ("2022") and paste those waypoints into the new database. Somehow, all data in the 2021 database is gone (there are several empty tracks listed). I've looked at the Alldata.gdb and the Alldata.gsb.bak. Those seem to now be the new database (2022)? I also tried the windows10 restore with no luck. Did I somehow copy and paste the entire 2022 database to 2021? Not something that would be likely or easy to do.

I had hours of routes plotted that I didn't get to ride (because of covid and wildfires) that I don't really want to have to do over.

Anyone have any ideas how I can recover this data?

Thanks. Ride safe!
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: Accidently emptied my database

Post by rufasim »

I am by no means a computer guru. My only idea, and that only works if you haven't turned off base camp, is to hit the undo button? Is that a stupid answer?
You did get me thinking and I did back up all my plotted routes. I made a folder on my computers home page and made sub folders of all the states I have planned. I then exported all my planned rides to the correct sub folder.

I wish you luck in recovering all your data. Sorry if I couldn't help
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Unless you cut rather than copied the data should still be there. If you have multiple databases you should be able to view them all in BaseCamp one at a time. If you cannot see your data then it would seem like you used the cut command rather than copy, or you did a copy and then somehow deleted the data. Without knowing exactly what you did it's impossible for me to say exactly what has happened.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I can't help until I get back to my PC tomorrow.

You may have accidentally deleted the entries, but it is also possible that Basecamp has lost track of where it is.
Its also possible that you have created your new database over the top of the old one. Although I would have expected a warning.

In the meantime, scan your hard drive for folders called ' Database'. Any that you find, click subfolders to see what they contain - names and dates to see if they are likely candidates, and navigate backwards to see where they are on your system.

Hopefully, there will be two of interest. Note where it is.

Close Basecamp and restart it. Create a new database. specify the path and the name. make it obvious eg 'Found'
Close Basecamp.

Now find the folder where the new database was created. Find the subfolder called Database. Take a look down the folder list just to see what has been created and then delete the new folder called 'Database' that has just been created.

Copy - do not move - the folder called Database that you found before. Paste it into the location where you have just deleted the Database folder.

Open basecamp again. It should have been closed previously. Select the 'Found' database. It will contain the data that was in the database folder that you found on the computer.

You may need to repeat the process from **** with any other folders called Database until you locate your missing data or you run out of options.

I'll come back to this on Saturday evening when I can get to my Pc.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Note the file to search for is AllData.gdb ... although from the OP I suspect he has already done that.
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately nothing seemed to work other than restoring that particular database from an earlier windows backup. I lost a lot of the planned routes but still have all (I think) of my tracks and earlier routes. Something to do for the rest of the winter I guess - re-developing all of those unridden routes I made in Nov & Dec. Oh well!!

thanks again.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

groundhog719 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:47 am .... restoring that particular database from an earlier windows backup. I lost a lot of the planned routes but still have all (I think) of my tracks and earlier routes. Something to do for the rest of the winter I guess - re-developing all of those unridden routes I made in Nov & Dec. Oh well!!
Tough break. Any time I make changes to my saved routes or Waypoints in Basecamp, I make a backup copy of the database. For Mapsource, the data is stored in the My Garmin folder in Documents, so that gets backed up regularly anyway.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

Tough break. Any time I make changes to my saved routes or Waypoints in Basecamp, I make a backup copy of the database. For Mapsource, the data is stored in the My Garmin folder in Documents, so that gets backed up regularly anyway.
Yeah. I know better. Was just too lazy to do things right. Luckily, I'm retired and have time to re-make the routes (at the expense of things that really need done!)