Deleting GPX Files on 665

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Deleting GPX Files on 665

Post by carolinarider09 »

I was looking at the main memory on my 665. I clicked on the GPX folder I saw the GPX files I just put on the device and there is an Archive folder.

In that folder there are GPX files numbered 11 through 30 (i.e. 11.gpx...... 30.gpx). May I delete these files? They do not show up when I look at my data using the GPS itself. But when I want to add some "new" GPX files already on the device there are lots of files that bare no resemblance to data I would have actually loaded.

Thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Re: Deleting GPX Files on 665

Post by sussamb »

These are saved trip log files. Perfectly safe to delete, you can view them in either MapSource or BaseCamp
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Those archive gpx files get 'refreshed' over time. The system keeps (20) files available at any one time and these are usually numbered in order. The file current.gpx is the currently active log and when this grows to be too big, it is put in the archive folder, gives it the next number in the sequence and a new current.gpx file is started. If this means that there will be more than 20 in the archive, then the earliest one is deleted. I think the figure is 20, but I may have remembered the number incorrectly.

If you delete them, in a few months time they will have built up again. I don't know what happens if you delete them and use the space that they will require for something else. It is possible to turn the track logging off on most Zumos. I had the 660, so I am not sure if the 665 is the same in that respect.

I like to download the track logs periodically - they make an excellent record of where we have been and when - and can be used for things like geotagging photos by matching date and time to the date and time stored with the image. I have 150 gpx files from my 660 which span a period of three and a half years. Files vary in length but are typically between 1 and 2Mb. The largest one 1.8Mb was created over a period of 5 trips totalling about 500 miles. Typically, I would try to copy them every couple of months to avoid any of them disappearing before I copied them - but that depends on how often you get out and how many miles you travel.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. What I sort of expected but keeping the GPX files as "trip logs" is a cool idea. I will have to check and see if I can do that. (Well I know I can but I have to figure a way to store the same numbered files differenlty).

Anyway I have a place to store them over time I shall do that.