CN Europe NT 2022.10

David
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

CN Europe NT 2022.10

Post by David »

I'm still using a 2011 Garmin Zumo 660 so therefore on NT not NTU maps. The NT 2022.10 map update became available over the last few days.

Have successfully installed UK & Ireland to the device internal memory. Full Europe coverage still seems to be installed on BaseCamp & MapSource.
David
Great Britain

Re: CN Europe NT 2022.10

Post by David »

This is the second map update since April 2021 where I'm no longer able to install full EU coverage to an SD card and have to select a region to install to the device's internal memory only. Any further maps have to be installed manually to the SD card either using MapSource (map tool) or BaseCamp (Mapinstall).

I've now found images which help to explain the issue. GE used to offer this option.

Now all GE offers is this and a region needs to be selected. No option to access SD card.

Can anyone please explain why Garmin have removed this option and is there a way around it to install full EU maps other than using Mapinstall, thank you.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I've been using Mapinstall for years to load maps to the SD card of my Zumo 450 and 550. The next map that I download probably won't fit on my 590 either and I'll have to split that map too. It's not that much trouble.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Thank you for your reply, I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone with a 660 installing EU maps.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

I have the same issue with my 660. Previously, when using Express, I've never had a problem updating maps with the 16gb SD card installed but now on the latest map update I've had to select the regions of Europe to install using Mapinstall. :?
Makes me wonder if Garmin do these things deliberately to encourage us folks with Antique Zumo's to invest in the newer models! :o
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Thank you, it's reassuring to know that it's not just me and my set up which is causing the problems.

If planning a trip to Europe, what I would do now is select the most appropriate region from the GE dropdown menu.

For France and Spain, you would be covered by the Northwest Europe Partial region which includes the UK.

For Central Europe, selecting this map region would mean less would have to be installed manually using MapInstall.
Just sufficient to get you across the water, mainly from home in the UK.
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

ActiveGPS sell an SD card with full EU coverage, https://www.activegps.co.uk/garmin-city ... ope-sd.htm

jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There is a forum specifically related to the 660 - If you ask a question in there, you might get some responses.

This topic is quite recent (I haven't read it) and may well give you some clues - it has 5 pages of posts since June.
viewtopic.php?t=1279

When I had my 660, the process for installing just part of the map was not that easy to find. An obscure link which was always displayed well beyond the bottom of the page. But that seems to be a long time ago now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Thank you, I know how to install maps to an SD card manually either using MapSource (map tool) or BaseCamp (mapinstall).

My disappointment with Garmin is that since the previous map update in April 2021, Garmin Express no longer offers the automatic option to "Use a Memory Card" and a region needs to be selected for the device internal memory.

(I'll see if I can link this thread across to the Zumo 660 page).
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Sent an email to Garmin UK, got this reply.

"This would be due to a internal space issue with your device, as the full EU maps are arrowed 19GB in size.
As this is greater than lots of our older sat navs storage space a SD card would be needed to install these.

With mapinstall this allows the maps to be spread between the internal storage and the SD card in the device."