Going from a Zumo 595 to a Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JD Hog
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Going from a Zumo 595 to a Zumo XT

Post by JD Hog »

At my age I need a brighter screen for the GPS in the sunlight. I know that I will not have the TPMS system and the option to use the GPS to Bluetooth my music through the bikes speakers. I currently have the GPS Navigation Cable https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/shop/fea ... tor-cable/ that will allow me to do this with the 595. If I can use that same cable option to connect a Bluetooth adapter with a 3mm output into the navigation cable that would be great.

Are there any draw backs from going 595 to XT besides the above ones?
Jim Diebolt
Zumo XT
2015 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Northern California, USA
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Going from a Zumo 595 to a Zumo XT

Post by simoncrewe »

JD Hog wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:46 pm At my age I need a brighter screen for the GPS in the sunlight. I know that I will not have the TPMS system and the option to use the GPS to Bluetooth my music through the bikes speakers. I currently have the GPS Navigation Cable https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/shop/fea ... tor-cable/ that will allow me to do this with the 595. If I can use that same cable option to connect a Bluetooth adapter with a 3mm output into the navigation cable that would be great.

Are there any draw backs from going 595 to XT besides the above ones?
I don't think that cable will work with the XT as the unit does not have an audio jack. I went from the 595 to the XT last year, the screen & operation are like night & day.
The only thing that I have not got to work on the XT are alerts for custom POI's. I used a custom speed camera data base on the 595 & I cannot get it to work on the XT.

Other than that the XT is a vast improvement over the 595.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Most of the connections are made using Bluetooth.

If you have a device that needs to be wired to something, then a Bluetooth module will do the trick - potentially providing voice input and sound output from a wired device.

I have a wired autocom rider/pillion communication system and I use an Autocom BTM03 device which gives me a 4 pole 3.5mm socket which connects straight to the autocom and puts all of the XT sound to me headphones and enables me to receive phone calls.

It needs to be located well away from the bike's ECU though - otherwise the signal is like a badly tuned in pirate radios station of the 1960s.

Some 595 glitches have been passed over to the XT, but if you never noticed them on the 595 .....

What the XT deosn't have thate was on the 595:

Spotify - but the MP3 player is crisp and clear, so I don't miss it.
Live track notification - easily substituted with 'Bubbler' - used so that my partner can see that I am still OK and moving (or at least that my phone is)!

What it does have
Ability to navigate to the closest point of a route from current location.
Ability to follow a track and inform of straight line direction and distance back should you deviate.
ABle to convert a track into a 'trip' (ie route), navigate that, but keep it locked in place. If you deviate, it navigates back to the closest point.
Separate track recorder. (It records tracks anyway if you allow it - like the 595)
Ability to send and receive tracks / routes by email (via phone link).

It has a few navigational oddities - not seen on the 595. LIke shortest route and fastest time don't (currently) always choose the route theya re supposed to. Issue is lodged with Garmin.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

simoncrewe wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:58 pm The only thing that I have not got to work on the XT are alerts for custom POI's. I used a custom speed camera data base on the 595 & I cannot get it to work on the XT.

Other than that the XT is a vast improvement over the 595.
I use both the Pocket GPS World database and Cyclops (as it's free) on my XT. In reality the Pocket GPS world one is way ahead of the Cyclops in the UK, but I'll keep using the Cyclops for when I'm in the rest of Europe.

The screen quality is the greatest improvement, many things on the 595 are similar on the XT, unsurprisingly.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Do you install the Pocket GPS World database in the same way as the 595, with POI loader? The PGPSW database is way ahead of the Cyclops, but it does not seem to function on my XT.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have a bluetooth adaptor that allows my to plug in to the AUX input on the bike and play navigation directions through the bikes speakers

I haven't tried music though!

One thing I will mention though is you need an adaptor with a microphone as the XT needs to recognise it as a headset to send audio to it
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

simoncrewe wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:52 am Do you install the Pocket GPS World database in the same way as the 595, with POI loader? The PGPSW database is way ahead of the Cyclops, but it does not seem to function on my XT.
Yes, and just like the 595 you need to select it on as well. I have the Cyclops and Pocket ones both enabled.
kw1m
United States of America

Post by kw1m »

I have a Garmin Zumo 595 mount on my 2015 Spyder RT Limited.

While the cradle is different, the power connector looks identical in size. Understand I will lose direct audio feed from 595 into Spyder (don't use it anyway) -- but can I suimply swap the power connector from existing install and insert into mount for Zumo XT2? Essentially -- will the XT2 ignore the additional port connections?

Would save a ton of time installing...

Thanks, Martin in NH
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Hi Martin - no, the power connector and also the mount are completely different from the 'old' Zumo 59x series. The power connector is in fact a cable, which will be screwed into the mount and on the Zumo 59x series the mount and the power cable is one complete unit.

Also the Zumo XT2 uses 12v - the Zumo XT and the older Zumo 59x series uses 5v on the pins!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)