Route Planned and Filtering POI (Points of Interest)

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Route Planned and Filtering POI (Points of Interest)

Post by b1324 »

Hello everybody. I am using Zumo XT for the whole season now and I managed to make it work for me. This is my first GPS on motorcycle ever. For all "specific" rides I use Route Planner where I add waypoint on the map directly on the device. This means that I input start and end destination and then always specific waypoints I want to go through. If I don't have exact address I just input the city, then go to "map" option and zoom-in to specific waypoint on the road I want to go by. For a day's ride I normally have 5-7 waypoints. Between waypoints I just let my Garmin decide the best route based on the hightway and similar settings. I found this solution on some youtube channel and it works for me, altough I don't find it very simple and also not so user friendly. I am going to try Basecamp in the future to see if I can achieve same functions in a more easy less time consuming way.
But when in Route Planner mode after I select all waypoints I also have option that Garmin lists all interesting points near my route. Points of interest or. POIs. This feature I like a lot because it helps me find "hidden gem places". But I find it really problematic that the list shows hotels, petrol stations, castels, museums, etc. I would really like to filter some of these categories away. For example I would only like to see castels and history sites. And only if they are less then XX km from my route. Did any of you find out how to set this kind of filters?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Route Planned and Filtering POI (Points of Interest)

Post by jfheath »

It may be easier to start a route and then go searching for places that are near to your active route. Don't stop the route - just press the 'return' arrow and select:
Where To->Press the blue button top left (landscape mode) which shows your current location.
Select My Active Route
Select Categories
Choose a category to suit eg attractions has a load of sub categories, as do many others with a triangular arrow next to them
A list pops up, and it keeps being added to. IT show you how far off your route it is, and what turning you have to take to get to it.

If you find one, you can tap on it, tap the information (i) button and add it to your favourites, for future use.
Or you can tap Go! And you get the option to add the place to your route.

Add to Active Route will place the point in the most convenient location in and amongst the other route points.

Personally, with an slightly over-sensitive screen, rather large fingers and the need to use glasses - I find doing things with routes on the map on the XT to be fraught with hazard. I get part way through the process, and I touch something, or it thinks I did. And It screws everything up and I have to start again. Except on the XT it seems to change the original route on some occasions. So I can't undo it.

So instead I do one thing at a time. Make the waypoints that I want. (ie favourites), and then use them to build up a route fairly quickly.
(So although Add to active route seems like a good idea, my fingers and eyes and the nature of the screen prevent me from making a success of it).
Your success may be different !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Re: Route Planned and Filtering POI (Points of Interest)

Post by b1324 »

Thanks. I tested it and I confirm that this works. Perfect, I would have never find this myself. It is just really not user friendly to skip menues like this... I hope they will make this more intuitive in one of the next sw releases.

Also thankful about your waypoints-favourites trick. I will try to master my way for now and in the mean while try to learn basecamp and go from there.

Cheers!