XT has dumped full Europe maps.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Arsey

XT has dumped full Europe maps.

Post by Arsey »

Hi.
Just joined up as my XT is playing silly buggers.
I turned it on today to update to latest maps in preparation for a trip in a few weeks.
I came home after a few hours to see a screen saying that the installation had failed due wifi error and it was trying to reconnect.
It stayed on this screen for 2 hours so I had no option but to power it off then back on.
When I rebooted it, it said all maps and software up to date.
BUT it seems to have erased all detailed maps and just left the base map,as when I zoom in there is no detail.It can't find any address and cant plan a route !!!!
It said to connect to Garmin Express to continue,so I have done this.
Again it said it was up to date, but when clicking on 'Installed maps' it appeared to show full europe maps as unticked.
So I ticked the box and got this screen :

And it's sat there for over an hour, not doing anything !!!!!

I've also tried a full reset but still no joy.

Can someone please help ?

Ta
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Re: XT has dumped full Europe maps.

Post by rbentnail »

I went through this recently with my 595. My solution was to disconnect from the computer and turn the gps off. Leave it unpowered. Close Garmin Express and close it again as it likes to run in the background. Come back tomorrow and see what's what.

Seriously, I've found Garmin stuff takes a long time to crunch new info. For me, map updates take at least 6 hrs of downtime then a prolonged power off/power on restart (NOT a reboot).
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Arsey

Post by Arsey »

Thanks but are you saying to unplug XT and switch it off and also close Garmin Express then come back tomorrow and turn on XT again ?
If so, I’m not sure what can change overnight?
HarveyM
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times
Canada

Post by HarveyM »

When that happened to me (by user error) I was able to re-install the Map on the XT using WiFi (Wireless) update. In other words not using garmin express.

If that failed I guess the option of last resort is to load Open Street Maps on your XT and use them for your trip.
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Have you had any success with this yet ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

I had the same thing via cable. In the end Garmin replaced my unit (not in warranty)
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Arsey wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:38 pm Thanks but are you saying to unplug XT and switch it off and also close Garmin Express then come back tomorrow and turn on XT again ?
If so, I’m not sure what can change overnight?
Not a lot. There were certain occasions with the 590s where taking the battery out for a few minutes would make sure that the internals lost all power. And then it would spring back into life. But tis one of those things that you try when you don't really have any other options. And for whateve reason, it worked on that occasion. The XT battery cannot be removed like the 590/595, so that isn't even an option. But hard power down (ie hold the button in for a few seconds until the scrren asks you if you want to turn off) may be worth a shot.

But so too will loading Task Manager in Windows. CTRL-ALT-DEL. Select Task manager fromt the blue screen and scroll down for any reference to Garmin Express. Right on it click and select End Task. That will make sure that no remnant of TAsk Manager is running in the background. Then manually load Task Manager again - it won't load when you plug in the Zumo now.

Clutching at straws really. I've had issues before where both of these suggestions have helped. But goodness knows if they will work in this case.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.