Camera warning performance report please

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Camera warning performance report please

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Looking at buying the Garmin Camera warning subscription. How does it compare in performance to a third part subscription like Pocketgpsworld.
The latter is a bit of a faf when trying to reduce the amount of warnings, but you can get rid of mobile locations for instance.
Last edited by JohnnyRidesAlone on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Camera warning performance report please

Post by electro_handyman »

You did know that the XT will receive some camera location data already without paying extra, so long as you have it paired to a smartphone(with mobile data active) running the Garmin Drive app.
I've had notifications for intersection cameras, and I've not signed up for any extra pay services.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am Looking at buying the Garmin Camera warning subscription. How does it compare in performance to a third part subscription like Pocketgpsworld.
The latter is a bit of a faf when trying to reduce the ammount of warnings, but you can get rid of mobile locations for instance.
In the UK the 'Cyclops' camera data for speed cameras from Garmin is included in the purchase price of the XT.

I also have a paid subscription to the PGPSW data base which works perfectly on my old Montana 600 & worked well on my Zumo 595LM. Unfortunately I have not been able to get it to function correctly on my Zumo XT.

The PGPSW data base is vastly superior to the Garmin supplied data.

I have contacted Garmin support, but they could not explain why custom POI's with alerts don't seem to work on the XT. Needless to say they have no interest in helping to get third party, non Garmin software to function on the unit.
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Thanks for the replies. I did not know that "the XT will receive some camera location data already without paying extra, so long as you have it paired to a smartphone(with mobile data active) running the Garmin Drive app."

When i ran it before i put the PGPS data on I heard and saw nothing. - is there a setting i need?

My PGPS data does work and provide audio, it jsut does it twice
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

In North Yorkshire, UK, there are no fixed speed cameras. Instead, the police have a different approach with fleet of very sophisticated camera vans and pop-up bike units which can be set up anywhere. They spend an hour or so in one location and then move somewhere else.

No database of camera locations is going to help. It seems to be having the desired effect, and so far the local authorities have been able to tackle the problem by punishing the people committing the offences, instead of (say) lowering the speed limit for everyone.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MakoShark2
Been liked: 5 times
Portugal

Post by MakoShark2 »

Cyclops work very here (Portugal).

All fixed speed cameras are reported accurately and it will also warn me for locations where with frequent moving speed cameras.

Find it better than the Rider 550 which had only fixed speed cameras.