Music playback shuttering/choppy?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
MakoShark2
Been liked: 5 times
Portugal

Re: Music playback shuttering/choppy?

Post by MakoShark2 »

Happens every time.

I'm wondering if it could be the mp3 encoding.

I believe all of my files are VBR (variable bitrate) and since it needs to resume to the last position that should be more complex with VBR files.

I'll try with CBR to see if the problem persists.
b1324
Been liked: 4 times
Slovenia

Post by b1324 »

I had noticed similar behaviour on two ocasions.

First one was then I was driving alone connected to my Sena headset and listenting to MP3's from Garmins SD card. It worked flawlesy for probably more then an hour and somewhere in the middle the sound quality just started to get choppy and full of static. Even if I paused the music and then play again it was the same. I don't remember what I did but the same SD card, same music files and quite a lot of driving&listening but the problem did not happen again. I have driving assistance (speed limits sound and navigation) turned ON since the beggining. It could be that I upgraded the Zumo's XT software afterwards, not sure.

The second is totaly repeatable. When I have passenger on and we are contected with Sena headsets for intercom... if the passanger didn't have smart noise filter ON (it actually disables wind noise), the intercom was started and stoped for every breath they take, every wind sound, ... and all this "chopped" my music experience because Sena put it on silence because it was expecting intercom chat. After we enabled smart noise filter on the second helmet ON, the problem went away.

Hope this post helps somewhat :)
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

was a solution ever found for the choppy music? I have my new Zumo XT paired to my iphoneXr and my Sena20S Evo intercom, the Evo20S has the iphone paired as phone 1 and the Zumo paired as GPS and the music works fairly well most of the time. Last night I went on a ride and forgot my iphone at home, every time I tried to play music from the zumo it would start and a few seconds later become very choppy and impossible to listen too. I assume this was caused by either the intercom or the Zumo looking for my phone and that search was messing things up? but I find that unacceptable. Often when I have my phone with me the music becomes choppy and I have to turn the bluetooth of on the Zumo and then turn it back on and it will usually work. This whole bluetooth system seems very fragile and not very good. I would love to hear ideas on how I can improve things.. I have no idea if its the GPS or the headset that is causing the issue, both are expensive units and I expect them to work correctly, they all have the latest firmware..

Regards Gary
b1324
Slovenia

Post by b1324 »

Hello Thrasherg. I have the same setup and no problems listening to music when I drive alone. You mentioned intercom... do you have problems with music when connected with someone on the intercome or also when riding alone without intercom connection?
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

I have never tried riding alone, so I don't know the answer, I always go riding with my wife (either on the back of me or on her bike) with the intercom in group mode. I can certainly try it next time in solo mode and see if it makes any difference, however I need it to work in intercom mode as I never ride alone!!

Regards Gary
b1324
Slovenia

Post by b1324 »

If you wife is also having Sena (like mine)... I noticed that the music was interrupted because the intercom kicked in even when nobody was talking. It was triggered by wind noise or breathing noise. It helped a lot when I enabled advanced noise control on both Senas. If you find that this helps or if you already have this enabled on both headsets, then there are some sensitivity settings for this in the Sena. Not sure how they are called (maybe VOX or something)... try setting them to less sensitive... this actually solved my chopping music issue when in intercom mode. Also your wife's Sena doesnt need to be connected to Zumo XT at the same time. She should only be connected to her mobile phone throught bluetooth and to you through intercom.
Please note that I am not an expert... just a user and also first time user, so... hope it sets you on the right direction.
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

thanks for the idea, we have also noticed the same thing about the noise and like you, we enabled the advanced noise control, but the stuttering music occurs even when stationary and there is no noise to trigger the intercom. Also when the intercom kicks in, it reduces the volume of the music and we are not hearing the volume reduce when it stutters, so I really doubt its the intercomm causing this issue (due to it thinking another user is talking).

Regards Gary
MakoShark2
Portugal

Post by MakoShark2 »

Little update... Still have this problem.

And it's not the mp3 codec. Have tried with variable and constant bit rate and the problem persists...
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Where is the music coming from - Your phone, or from the MP3 folder on the XT ?

Reason for asking -> I have had absolutely no success with playing music from Spotify over the phone. It would work OK for a few minutes, and as time went by it became seriously broken up - I suspect that the XT / Phone had located other BT devices as we passed by, and it was taking away some of the processing time.

I have had no problems at all playing music from the XTs MP3 player. So if I want music, I use that.

It's not often that I give up on a problem - but for the amount of time that I use it, it wasn't worth spending any more time on it.
The XT's MP3 player is the best that they have had - very crisp and clear.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MakoShark2
Portugal

Post by MakoShark2 »

Well I think I found the culprit.

This morning I took out the sd card and noticed the little securing latch was loose (unlock position).
Then I inserted the sd card in my card reader and windows complained immediately that there was a problem with the sd card.
Checked for errors but it seems no errors were found.

But something must have been done... After that during a 30 minutes ride no shutter or choppy sound.