Volume control

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
chickenlegs
Great Britain

Volume control

Post by chickenlegs »

I have not yet purchased an XT and have a query regarding the scope of volume control on the unit before I do so.

I am currently testing a TomTom Rider 550 and have noticed that once my intercom/s (Intaride S-3s) are paired with the TomTom, that all volume control is taken over by the intercoms and the volume slider on the TomTom is removed from the GPS display. Unfortunately, the S-3s are currently not able to adjust/ balance individual output volumes from two different sources, which can result in the TomTom volume being much higher than the intercom volume.

Can I ask if there is a greater level of volume control on the XT when paired with a Bluetooth intercom, or are volume adjustments removed from the Gamin as they are on the 550? It's pretty impossible to find this level of detail from the XT's online user manual.

Please note, I am not pairing with a mobile phone, nor playing music and only interested in balancing the volume between GPS and intercom.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: Volume control

Post by simoncrewe »

On the XT , under the Master volume control is a 'Mixer' to enable you to individually adjust volume of Navigation, Media, Phone calls, & proximity alerts.
The intercom is not listed, but in most cases volume is adjusted on the intercom itself .
jfheath
Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 695 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

As @simoncrewe said above.

SOme units will not allow volume control to BT devices - saying it ahs to be controlled from the paired device.
I have not found this to be the case with the XT and my Galaxy / Android phone. The Media volume has controlled it just fine.

The controls currently on mine are Media, Phone Calls, Proximity Alert, Navigation. There is also a master volume displayed.
The controls tend to change according to what you have connected.

I have problems with the music from the phone, cutting out for a moment every few seconds. I can't pin it down to the phone or to the XT. It seems to only happen when both are connected together. It didn't use to, but there have been a couple of upgrades to the phone and to the XT. It started sometime after that.
But I prefer to use the MP3 player on the XT anyway if I want music - which is only very rarely.

There is no volume control available on the navigation screen. There is access from the main screen and also from the media player screen. That gives access to the master volume and to the mixer.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
chickenlegs
Great Britain

Post by chickenlegs »

I'm not sure from these responses if the XT has the same level of control over volume, when paired with a headset via Bluetooth or if this control is limited by being connected to a Bluetooth device. My headset is not as sophisticated as ones that seem to allow volume control of multiple, connected items; it only has a single control that increases or decreases the volume of the intercom and GPS output and I have found that the outputs are not as balanced as they could be.