XT Trip Planner

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
night falcon
Has liked: 1 time
New Zealand

XT Trip Planner

Post by night falcon »

Can someone explain how trip planner on the XT deals wirth route calculations and deviations please.

Does it recalculate to the next waypoint if you go off route? Meaning it will ignore the planned route and create its own route to the next way point and then carry on with the planned route?
Or:
Does it recalculate and DEMAND you go back to the waypoint you might have missed, then not find it and keep recalculating in a maddening cycle of stupidity?
Or
Does it recalculate to allow you to rejoin the planned route at the nearest available point on your planned route? ...why wouldn't it!
Or:
Does it crap itself like the 395 and not find waypoints?
Or:
None of the above....Garmin have out done themselves this time...this thing is a POS (even worse than a 395)
Or:
Unbelievably, Garmin have made the XT as good as the old 550 where you simply make or import your Route and it will always keep you on the route or direct you back to it should you have to go for coffee.... like a 21st century GPS device should.

Note:
You can probably tell I've had a few Garmin devices so have been well and truly spanked by their always behind the 8 ball so called improvements!
ray6576
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: XT Trip Planner

Post by ray6576 »

Turn off the automatic for your Off-Route Recalculation setting in Navigation. If you do not it will recalculate your route when you get off route and it will not be what you planned. I have mine set to prompt or off. That will allow you to rejoin your route and the XT will just pick up and continue when you get back on route.
night falcon
New Zealand

Post by night falcon »

Thanks for the reply :D

I just need to know how XT handles route deviations as there is no point in downgrading from my current nightmare GPS - the evil 395- if XT has the same inherant cockups. I have set it up as you describe - it doesn't continue the route or find waypoints POS.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I read up on this a while back, but I can't remember where. What I do remember is that it is worth having some waypoints, not just shaping points, along the route. With auto-recalculation off you can then tell the Zumo to ignore the next waypoint, if you're off route and that's what you want to do. It'll then direct you to the waypoint after that.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Part of the confusion may be what you are expecting the generically-named "waypoints" to do for you. I strongly suggest you read about the differences between "shaping points" and "via points". Your device probably doesn't use "way points". Base Camp does, even ones you add, but your device probably uses only pre-programmed way points. There are several different discussions on this- terminology and definitions DO make a difference!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

@night falcon

Send me a private message with your email address. I'll send you a document which explains it all.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.