Is the Zumo XT appropriate for my UK road use?

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
UKMedic
Great Britain

Is the Zumo XT appropriate for my UK road use?

Post by UKMedic »

Good evening,

I need some UK user feedback on the suitability of the Zumo XT for an intended role, to replace my 660.

I've been caught by the recent issue where an update for the Zumo 660 is too big for the memory and have been informed (after purchasing a card and formatting it etc etc) that I cannot actually expand the unit capability to restore my "rest of Europe maps" and also that there will be no updates for the 660 relevant to the UK anyway. I was already having issues with the 660, for example where it would take me off a motorway junction (J14 southbound on the M25 particularly) only to have me navigate the roundabout and then go back on to the same carriageway wasting a lot of time. I had similar issues on the A120 when intending to take the M11 southbound. All reported to Garmin via their recommended means and all never resolved despite some years of advising these issues). I also had a problem where it identified every incoming call (when linked to an iPhone and helmet via bluetooth) as being only from one number in my phone book despite them coming from all sorts, but I could just about live with that.

I now have the option of purchasing the XT and would like some advice as to whether or not I should bother (the alternative being an TomTom Rider 550)
I've read in a recent magazine review (sorry, don't remember which one) that it is not particularly friendly for "normal" use, particularly just wanting to put in a postcode. This is perhaps 95% of my use, usually followed with a house number (where possible) for more precise navigation. I'd rather not have to put in town, followed by street, followed by... if I can save time when I know the postcode. Can I just do this from a "home screen" or similar?
I've no idea if the XT is loaded with house names for rural areas where street numbers (and sometimes streetnames) do not always exist.
I need this for work, and it needs to be reliable, it is not an exaggeration to say that lives may sometimes depend on this. I will be using it from going from location to location that I will only learn immediately I need to make the journey. I will not be in a position to preset using things like Basecamp or any other PC based system (with which I am not really familar anyway). The unit needs to be used on its own although I will of course update maps as and when these come out sevaral times a year.
My 660 has also from time to time taken me on roads that might well be the shortest but totally inappropriate for anything other thank a horse, or a tank, and hopefully the XT is a little more practical (except of course when my casualty is stuck in a hedge somewhere). Again feedback (perhaps from someone like a motorcycle courier, if they still exist) might be helpful here.

I need to also know in plenty of time of upcoming junctions, my 660 has (especailly when in the car mount) only warned me to take an exit when I am too committed to the continuing carriageway, but to be fair just about every system I have used, including ones supplied by work, does this.

I will on very rare occasions use it recreationally in Europe, probably in "tourist mode" (me, not it) where I can be a little more relaxed by still need to get accurately from point A to B

Lastly I need to connect this to my phone and use it via the speaker (in car mode) and helmet (in bike mode) with the latter also allowing me to talk to a pillion on some occasions. There will be times when the Zumo is not present so the phone and helmet(s) link to each other, which seems to be an issues for some users. Again your experiences would be helpful.

Thank you very much
C
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Is the Zumo XT appropriate for my UK road use?

Post by Stu »

UKMedic wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:35 pm
I've read in a recent magazine review (sorry, don't remember which one) that it is not particularly friendly for "normal" use, particularly just wanting to put in a postcode
Hi and welcome to the forum

Take that review in ride magazine with a pinch of salt! I have emailed them with my thoughts as the person reviewing needs to spend more time with it and learn how to use it! I have also pointed them to this forum if they need help to write a proper review of a decent product tat is so much more than an A to B sat nav!

Postcode search is 3 button presses and you are there

I believe the Zumo XT will more than meet your needs!

I have not had any of the issues you have mentioned
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Where abouts in the UK are you? you never know you may be close to a member and they could let you have a look and a play with theirs
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've owned the 660, the 590, the 595 and now have the XT.

The XT is the best of them, and it does what you want really well. It has a superb bright screen, it has a fast processor and the battery life is good. It also has internal speakers, like the 660, which is handy for testing things out.

It comes with no cables but an excellent Bluetooth set up and pairs with a bog-standard headset really easily.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

Ignore the reviews - except what you read on here - written by people that use them.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
UKMedic
Great Britain

Post by UKMedic »

Thank you very much for your replies. At present I'm based near Stansted Airport, Essex, if there is someone willing to let me have a play.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Giving my answer a bit more thought.

Navigating to a postcode is dead easy on the XT

Where To -> Address -> Enter Post Code

It presents a keyboard - Which can be a split keyboard for large gloved fingers or a standard full width keyboard. Both in QWERTY layout.

As soon as the postcode has been entered - with or without spaces, it asks for a house number (which is optional). You can check it on the map, calculate a route to it, add curvy riding to it or simply press Go.

---------

As for navigation dowwn back roads and cart tracks, it is a function of the mapping, not the satnav. You just have to use your common sense. 'I'm not going that way' is the phrase to put into your head. If you ignore the turn, the satnav will just calculate a new route from where you are heading in hte directiont hat you are taking.

Like the 660, you can set preferences regarding the routing, but again - that depends on the accuracy of the maps coding the nature of the road correctly, like all satnavs.

--------

Headphones, phones and pillion and the XT

Paired headsets and the XT and a phone are straight forward. The headset is paired with the XT first. Then the phone. The XT will (if you allow it) receive all sorts of info from a smartphone including text messages (SMS), notifications from other phone apps, weather, traffic - and it will also present you with info from a caller and will automatically answer.

If using with a pillion, the XT does not have separate channels to talk to two headsets. IT has separate channels to talk to various other devices, but not to two headsets. I don't know of a stanav that does do this, but I don't know much about other satnavs - only what I hav read in discussions. But I'm of the opinion that the ability to be able to talk to the pillion and talk to the zumo has to be a function of the Bluetooth headset. I believe that such devices now exist (possibly one from Sena). I think there is one connection to the XT and one connection to the other headset.

If I come across someone that reports having set this up, I'll re-post.

I do have the facility to talk rider / pillion and both rider and pillion able to join in on satnav info and phone calls - but that is through a wired autocom intercom which is connected to the XT via a BT module.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

jfheath wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:31 am
But I'm of the opinion that the ability to be able to talk to the pillion and talk to the zumo has to be a function of the Bluetooth headset. I believe that such devices now exist (possibly one from Sena). I think there is one connection to the XT and one connection to the other headset.

If I come across someone that reports having set this up, I'll re-post.
My Sena SMH10 can connect via bluetooth to pillion and XT. I've not tried it with the phone yet!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

UKMedic wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:35 pm Good evening,

I need some UK user feedback on the suitability of the Zumo XT for an intended role, to replace my 660.

I've been caught by the recent issue where an update for the Zumo 660 is too big for the memory and have been informed (after purchasing a card and formatting it etc etc) that I cannot actually expand the unit capability to restore my "rest of Europe maps" and also that there will be no updates for the 660 relevant to the UK anyway. I was already having issues with the 660, for example where it would take me off a motorway junction (J14 southbound on the M25 particularly) only to have me navigate the roundabout and then go back on to the same carriageway wasting a lot of time. I had similar issues on the A120 when intending to take the M11 southbound. All reported to Garmin via their recommended means and all never resolved despite some years of advising these issues). I also had a problem where it identified every incoming call (when linked to an iPhone and helmet via bluetooth) as being only from one number in my phone book despite them coming from all sorts, but I could just about live with that.

I now have the option of purchasing the XT and would like some advice as to whether or not I should bother (the alternative being an TomTom Rider 550)
I've read in a recent magazine review (sorry, don't remember which one) that it is not particularly friendly for "normal" use, particularly just wanting to put in a postcode. This is perhaps 95% of my use, usually followed with a house number (where possible) for more precise navigation. I'd rather not have to put in town, followed by street, followed by... if I can save time when I know the postcode. Can I just do this from a "home screen" or similar?
I've no idea if the XT is loaded with house names for rural areas where street numbers (and sometimes streetnames) do not always exist.
I need this for work, and it needs to be reliable, it is not an exaggeration to say that lives may sometimes depend on this. I will be using it from going from location to location that I will only learn immediately I need to make the journey. I will not be in a position to preset using things like Basecamp or any other PC based system (with which I am not really familar anyway). The unit needs to be used on its own although I will of course update maps as and when these come out sevaral times a year.
My 660 has also from time to time taken me on roads that might well be the shortest but totally inappropriate for anything other thank a horse, or a tank, and hopefully the XT is a little more practical (except of course when my casualty is stuck in a hedge somewhere). Again feedback (perhaps from someone like a motorcycle courier, if they still exist) might be helpful here.

I need to also know in plenty of time of upcoming junctions, my 660 has (especailly when in the car mount) only warned me to take an exit when I am too committed to the continuing carriageway, but to be fair just about every system I have used, including ones supplied by work, does this.

I will on very rare occasions use it recreationally in Europe, probably in "tourist mode" (me, not it) where I can be a little more relaxed by still need to get accurately from point A to B

Lastly I need to connect this to my phone and use it via the speaker (in car mode) and helmet (in bike mode) with the latter also allowing me to talk to a pillion on some occasions. There will be times when the Zumo is not present so the phone and helmet(s) link to each other, which seems to be an issues for some users. Again your experiences would be helpful.

Thank you very much
C
I have owned my XT since March last, and it is streets ahead of the 595 LM that it replaced. I use it on my road bike paired to a Sena headset & also in the car. It has had extensive use in the UK & an 800 mile trip in Europe this year, in both cases it has worked extremely well.

One thing that I stumbled across purely by chance recently, which is really useful in rural areas, is that I can send a location from 'What 3 Words' via my phone & Garmin drive, directly to the XT, & the accuracy is amazing.

I don't think you can go wrong with the XT.
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

simoncrewe wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:32 pm

One thing that I stumbled across purely by chance recently, which is really useful in rural areas, is that I can send a location from 'What 3 Words' via my phone & Garmin drive, directly to the XT, & the accuracy is amazing.
I think it would be a good idea to add "What3words" to the "Where to" menu.

Axamax
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

simoncrewe wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:32 pm One thing that I stumbled across purely by chance recently, which is really useful in rural areas, is that I can send a location from 'What 3 Words' via my phone & Garmin drive, directly to the XT, & the accuracy is amazing.

I don't think you can go wrong with the XT.
The link between phone and XT via the Drive App is impressive - it's useful to be able to email a route to your phone and for it to be loaded automatically by the XT. Reduces wear and tear on the USB socket.

The What3Words App is a handy innovation, but I believe is a proprietary product, so maybe there is an issue if Garmin wanted to use it in their own product. Does it work without internet connection ? There are large areas around here that have no mobile phone access - so in an emergency making a phone call would not be possible even if you could find out where you are !