Setup: track recording every second

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Mikul
Has liked: 7 times
Poland

Setup: track recording every second

Post by Mikul »

Please let me know where to enable route recording at one-second intervals?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Setup: track recording every second

Post by jfheath »

Settings - Device - Travel History

Gpx tracks of current log is stored in GPX/CurrenttrackLog.gpx

Earlier versions are stored in the Archive folder in the same location.

Basecamp is good at accessing these and producing charts of your speed elevation and location on the map.

The XT also has a facility for recording on demand. I dont see the point of that if travel history is always recording.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Mikul
Has liked: 7 times
Poland

Post by Mikul »

Thank you very much @jfheath, as always, you are reliable!
But I asked the question wrong, my point is that on Track which records XT, the intervals between points should be dense,
that each point is recorded every 1 second, not "Smart".
In all my Garmins (Outdors, Fenix) I can change the frequency of saving of the tracked track at the interval of one second.
This makes the trace very accurate, that's what I mean.
Regards
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah - I can't help with that - I have never seen a setting for the frequency of update.

I don't think it would mean a great deal anyway - a single fix or a single piece of recorded data can never give a precise speed at a precise location. Locations are subject to positional errors. Speed requires a calculation of distance travelled within a time span long enough to minimise the effect of positional errors. So the speed that is recorded is only ever going to be an average. And no one can use that data to say that at this particular point you were travelling at 5 mph above the speed limit.

Having it recorded precisely every second isn't going to provide anything more reliable. It will be precisely wrong.

It has often intrigued me to consider what triggers the recording of the data in the logs. Some are 1 second apart, some are 15 /20 /25 seconds apart. I guess the XT works on an interrupt system - and sometimes it is just too busy doing other stuff to bother logging it.

Sorry - I am talking scribble now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.