Update 6.30 messes up routes

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Venzent
Has liked: 1 time
Netherlands

Update 6.30 messes up routes

Post by Venzent »

Hi there,
I recently updated to 6.30 and a route which I ride frequently (and without problems) now is messing up my XT.
In the middle of the route, the navigation restarts the route and messes up the routing.
I've managed to have it happen in the simulation mode, see this youtube video on 0:45 (sorry for the Dutch).

The route is created in BC and before the update to 6.30 it was fine.

After the route restarts itself you can see in the grey info-box the routing is way off, the time is almost doubled. At the end of the clip you can see the intersection is messed up, and this happens on a lot of points in the route. If I stop the route and start it again, it's fine, untill it restarts the route by itself.

Edit: I tested some other routes from BC and there it also happens, so, it's not the route itself.
It seems to be the XT, if there only was someway to factory reset it....
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Update 6.30 messes up routes

Post by sussamb »

Any strange issues after a software update are normally resolved with a master reset, so I'd try that first.
Venzent
Netherlands

Post by Venzent »

sussamb wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:49 pm Any strange issues after a software update are normally resolved with a master reset, so I'd try that first.
This is done with reset - delete data and reset settings? I cannot find a "factory or master reset"
Venzent
Netherlands

Post by Venzent »

sussamb wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:49 pm Any strange issues after a software update are normally resolved with a master reset, so I'd try that first.
Hi Sussamb,
Thanks for the suggestions, this wasn't the solution, but put me in the right direction:
I did a reset of all setting, and because of that, the voice was set to "Garmin real directions". Just before the route restarted, the voice said something like a closure ahead. This triggered me to disable traffic support and with that the problem is solved. I try'd setting it on and off and on different routes, and the behaviour was very consistent. With traffic support on (although optimize route was on "ask") the XT classified a lot of turns and crossing as closed and this was causing the havoc.

I can live without traffic support, so it's off now ;)
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You found it.

Settings -> Device -> Reset gives three options. Delete Data and Reset Settings returns the settings as they were when new.

There is a way of rolling back to the previous version of firmware, but it seems as though you have found the culprit.
I did try the traffic system coming from my phone to the Zumo 595 once. It was turning me away from roads which were open. I investigated. It seemed to be a partial closure - controlled by traffic lights - of a short stretch of road, and didn't affect my route at all.
In the mapping there is also coded historic traffic data which can re-route you according to the time of day and day of the week. trafficTrends I thing it was called. It was on the 595, but I reckon that the maps will still have the data in them. That did stupid stuff too - I have no way of knowing whether or not the XT uses this, or whether it relies on data from the phone, or whether it gets traffic data by using the power lead as an aerial.
It good to know that truning it off helps. It is turned on by default.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Sadly this is a well-known problem here in the german-speaking market, and it is already mentioned many times to the people of the Garmin support - they also told, that there should (will?) be an fix for it!

The problem - if there is a road closure announced from the service, which supports Garmin Drive, at one street in your active route, the road is internally marked as 'non existing' and a new calculation will be started automatically(!!) without any possibility to interact, even when you have disallowed 'automatic recalculation'! There isn't even one pop-up, window or similar to inform the driver - only thing is a spoken announcement! So if you have disabled spoken announcements, like i do, you'll maybe even not notice at all, that a re-calculation has been made...

Second point - it seems that sometimes in this certain case, the re-calculating algorithms will go 'crazy' and plot a wired zick-zack route. which is absolutely nonsense...

So the fact, that the user has no chance to skip such a recalculation, is an absolute no-go at all and has to be fixed - turning off the usage of traffic data completely is also no option! Garmin has to fix this!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
jskene
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by jskene »

On a recent ride my XT all of a sudden reported several road closures and displayed a spider's web of recalculated routes. It made no sense as I was on lightly travelled country roads. I ignored the recalculation, which was a mess of criss-crossing lines, and found that the roads were not closed. Fortunately I always also display the track for the route I'm riding, so I just followed the track and ignored the many "make a U turn" notifications. I hadn't thought of turning off the traffic feature, although Rofor's note indicates that this will not solve the problem.

I'm riding the same route in a few days and will see if this problem recurs with traffic set to off.
Rofor
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@jskene - you could try switching 'Settings - Traffic - Traffic (Garmin Drive app necessary)' to 'Off', but this would cut off any other traffic messages from the Drive app.

The problem is, that some informations (fully closed road on the planned route) are simple misinterpreted (no road there) and Garmin thinks, they MUST do a recalculation and don't let the driver decide... :( Also, as in your example, the recalculation goes mad sometimes and produces some wired routes! Please do also mail this to the Garmin support, the more - the better!

If you cut off the Drive app support for Traffic, be aware to do this, before you start the route (best would be IMHO to turn off this on the Zumo, than shut down the Zumo completely and start it again) - as it happens to me, that after the re-routing has taken place, it will not help to turn off the traffic-support. It seems, that the infos are stored somewhere inside the Zumo XT, while it is not turned off...

This fault was also already in firmware 6.10 and 6.20 - IMHO the baddest decision from Garmin was, to join the two firmwares, Zumo XT and Zumo Tread, together, this started all the troubles! Before with firmware 2.90, the Zumo XT was working good - now we have such 'nice' features like support for Garmin Power Switch(?), group riding with an extra cost of us$ 200,- (??) and a backwards driving camera(???) - really?, for a motorcycle?
Mikul
Has liked: 7 times
Poland

Post by Mikul »

@Rofor So, the software 2.9 does not recalculate without permission when it detects a road closure?
I am asking because I can still go back to version 2.90
Last edited by Mikul on Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My XT firware is 2.90
Rofor
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@Mikul - Can't answer this for sure, but i think, this was a fault right from the start of the Zumo XT!
First time such a unwanted and not-changeable recalculation happened to me in June 2020, so i think, it was always there...