Help ! Any suggestions appreciated.

For everything Garmin Zumo 345/350 related
Airfiddler
Canada

Help ! Any suggestions appreciated.

Post by Airfiddler »

I have a Zumo 350 LM which has suddenly started acting up. The touchscreen is now VERY unresponsive. I have tried reloading the maps...no change. I have taken out the memory card and rebooted....no change. The onboard memory is not full (about 60%) I have held down the off button untill the unit recycles up to four times, to see if I can get a hard reset.....no change. Generally the screen may respond after 10 to 12 touches, but then its locked up again, arragh !! I have had this unit since new, so it is well past warranty. Can the firmware/software be reinstalled ? There is no physical damage to the unit, I suspect a software bug somewhere, does the touchscreen wear out ? Is this unit worth sending in for repair ? It was not inexpensive and I feel I should get more than 5 years use out of it, as it was not abused, or damaged. Thanks for any advise on this frustrating situation.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Re: Help ! Any suggestions appreciated.

Post by kernowing »

Welcome to the Forum Airfiddler, hope you find it friendly and helpful. If I could suggest [mention]Stu[/mention] could move this topic to the specific Z 350 section, you may get more views and hopefully some help. Cheers, Pete.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Post by Moose »

first i would check and make sure nothing is lodged around the perimeter and stuck touching the screen and then look to calibrate the screen.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Airfiddler wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:38 pm I have a Zumo 350 LM which has suddenly started acting up. The touchscreen is now VERY unresponsive. .......... Generally the screen may respond after 10 to 12 touches, but then its locked up again, arragh !! I have had this unit since new, so it is well past warranty. Can the firmware/software be reinstalled ? There is no physical damage to the unit, I suspect a software bug somewhere, does the touchscreen wear out ? Is this unit worth sending in for repair ? It was not inexpensive and I feel I should get more than 5 years use out of it, as it was not abused, or damaged. Thanks for any advise on this frustrating situation.
This really sounds like a failure of the touchscreen. It does happen. If you haven't received any 350 specific tips regarding resetting the device or recalibrating the device, I would recommend that you contact Palm Doctor, Shortronics Inc. www.palmdr.com. They're a small company that does out of warranty repairs on GPS devices along with other smart electronics. I've used them to repair a Zumo 450 and to replace the touchscreen in a StreetPilot 2610 (if you can believe that those are still running). Repairs on both of my GPSs were reasonable and pretty quick. There's a page on the web site to request a repair quote.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I'm not sure from your comments whether you've done a proper master reset but before you try any hardware repairs try a master reset. That often cures issues like this.

https://www.gpsnation.com/support/gps-f ... reset.html
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

I rather doubt he waited around for 5 months for more advice.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

:lol: didn't look at the dates
Reeferman27
Has liked: 1 time
Georgia

Post by Reeferman27 »

Any one still using these and having issues?
I know I am and the hard reset does not work on mine.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Reeferman27 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:05 pm Any one still using these and having issues?
I know I am and the hard reset does not work on mine.
How are you performing the hard reset ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Reeferman27
Has liked: 1 time
Georgia

Post by Reeferman27 »

Update.
Took it apart, cleaned screen terminal connection and removed and replaced battery connection.
All good except after updating maps it says "can't unlock maps".
Frustrating.