how to stop rain affecting XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

how to stop rain affecting XT

Post by Thrasherg »

Okay peeps, I just bought 2 new Zumo XT GPS for my and my wife's dirt bikes. We drove 600 miles to Mississippi to ride the "PIGS in The Forest" and we had a lot of rain, it seems the GPS was sensing the rain drops landing on the screen as us touching the screen, both GPS's went absolutely mad, changing the screen every 2 or 3 seconds and then changing menus and setting or unsetting options. They were completely unusable. after a few hours the rain stopped they both worked perfectly and were a real joy to have along, I tried to find a menu to reduce the touch screen sensitivity but never found one (later internet search revealed there isn't any way to change the sensitivity) so have any of you found a solution for this issue? I was wondering if there was a way to enable/disable the touch screen (by touching the power button for a certain amount of time? so we could turn of the touch screen when it rains) or is there a waterproof cover you are using? Never had this issue with my 660 Zumo. As stated it was our first time using the GPS's and was really disappointing that we couldn't use them on the ride, we had to resort to following other slower riders who's GPS's did work, once the rain stopped it was great and we took off and had a fantastic time, the earlier sins of the GPS forgiven, but we can't have GPS that don't work when it rains, so I have to find a solution for this.

Thanks for any suggestions, really hope Garmin will come up with a solution for this as the GPS really are great in dry weather.

Gary
Thrasherg
United States of America

Re: how to stop rain affecting XT

Post by Thrasherg »

well I spoke with a Garmin contact and they thought my screen protector might be causing this issue. I splashed water on the screen with the protector and sure enough it changed menus and settings (as it had done in the rain 2 days ago), I then removed the screen protector and splashed water on the screen and it still changed menus and settings, so it seems the screen protector was not the cause.
Garmin agreed that water should not affect the GPS screen, but I ran the above experiment on both GPS's and both did exactly the same thing. Garmin are ready to exchange the units, but mine are brand new (1 week old) and I suspect that whatever units they send me will be refurbished not new, and I can't see why the new units won't have the same issue, it seems the touch screen is too sensitive and there is nothing I can do about it (It does not seem to be a manufacturing fault).
I am going to try and get some clear plastic covers made that will slide over the GPS, so I can slide them on when it rains (to keep the rain of the screen), a bit of a nuisance but such is life. I am also down $25 bucks for the 2 screen protectors that I had and removed to test Garmins idea about them causing the issue.. Great GPS but very disappointed that rain can cause such a major headache when using them (I am not a fair weather biker, so this is a real issue for me).

Gary
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

My screen was super-sensitive when I bought it in April about 18 months ago. I put on a flexi glass (BroTect) screen and that made it slightly less sensitive. I recommend the BroTect screens by the way. I bought a pack of 3. They go on without any issue, it is very easy to get rid of the trapped air, and after 18 months, I still cannot tell that there is a protective screen on it. Perfect fit to the XT shape. Occasionally a small sign of an air bubble forms at the edge, but it is very easy to wipe it away if/when it happens.

I've not had much of an issue with rain, that I have noticed, but I ride a bike with a full fairing, and it is located behind the screen, so rarely gets wet. However it would respond to my bare finger before it touched the screen. But it doesn't do that with gloves on.

I haven't noticed it doing it recently. I've just tried it, and it does still recognise a 'press' before I actually touch - so my brain must have adjusted to it. (Like it does when getting a new pair of spectacles).

I've just chucked a handful of water over the screen. Yes, it does regard that as a screen press.
Large single drops dripping off the end of my finger ? No.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Twin4Me
Great Britain

Post by Twin4Me »

I had the same issue with mine last year, Garmin also said the screen protector may have been a contributing factor, they replaced the unit under warranty.

I didn't fit a protector on the new unit and the problem largely went away. Twice on a recent very wet trip to Scotland it changed screens whilst raining, however it was not frequent and crazy as previously. I also found if I adjusted it to be more upright then the problem seemed to be cured
Last edited by Twin4Me on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

Many thanks for the feedback, I mounted mine more vertically but also bought some perspex and heated it/folded it so it clips over the GPS unit, I will just clip it on when it rains and remove it when I need to use the touch screen, a little inconvenient, but the rest of the GPS works so well I won't let this bother me.. Still wish Garmin would give an option to touch the power button for a few seconds to turn the touch screen on/off so I could disable the touch screen when it rains and turn it back on when I need to use the touch screen, much easier than carrying a clip on cover..

Regards Gary
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Do they sell an aftermarket sun/light block beak which can stay permanently. Cam help too.
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

they do sell a sun shade for the GPS, but I have it mounted on my Dual sport bike and love that I can see the display when seated or standing, if I put a sun shade on, I won't be able to see the display when standing, so I don't want to do that.

Regards Gary
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

To add another dimension to this....

A few weeks ago, I had my XT in my shirt pocket. It was switched on. Don't ask why, I don't know.

When I took it out, the screen was extremely sensitive, responding to my fingers before they touched the screen. It was unusable.

After a few minutes, it must have cooled down. All was well again.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Philpat
Wales

Post by Philpat »

I've had the same problems with my XT. I returned the first one and the replacement is only slightly less sensitive to rain.
I bought a weather case and adapted it for the XT, the perspex of the case has a 5mm gap to the XT and it still jumps screens in the rain.
I need to make a decision either to return for a refund or find another solution?????
Twin4Me
Great Britain

Post by Twin4Me »

Having used my replacement unit on a recent trip to Spain it is much improved.

Earlier in the trip I did have a problem a couple of times. I ride a Ducati Multistrada with the full screen and the screen spacers I found rain drops were coming behind the screen and striking it more, the problem was less severe than the old one. I lost a screw from the screen spacers and so reverted to the normal screen mounting which gives less of a gap, I rode in a tremendous downpour after this and had no issues.

Seems to be a combination of screen saver, the angle of the unit and type of screen air flow.

I know it's not ideal but it's a great unit, especially now I learnt how to display a track and route on the same screen.