Transfer tracks to basecamp

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
cooper
Canada

Re: Transfer tracks to basecamp

Post by cooper »

I plugged in my Zumo 450 and it kicked in within three minutes. I plugged in the XT nothing happened after five minutes went upstairs and left it plugged in and it has been 45 minutes. Still nothing??
Also clicked on transfer and error window pops up and says there are no devices connected to base Camp.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry to ask you again, realise you've said this a few times. Very strange that it's not connecting when other devices using the same cable do so. I'll get my thinking cap on as I have some time this evening :D

One thing to try if you haven't already is to try using the usb ports on the rear of your PC
cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

Yes I tried both Front and rear USB ports. Took my GPS over to my friends place plugged it into his and it download it onto his base camp within minutes. He emailed me the file and I transferred it in that way. But somethings still not correct appreciate everybody’s help. My friends thinking that my computer is actually quite old and maybe need to upgrade it. But it did work the first time?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah ok. There was something else I was going to suggest but if it's an old PC it won't apply, guess it is something peculiar to your PC. Out of interest which Windows version are you running?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmm. A couple of grasping at straws suggestions.

1. Sometimes the USB socket on the PC is attached directly to the motherboard. The ones at the back are the most likely nowadays they would be in a cluster on the same metal plate as the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and sound. However on older machines they may be in a different position and be connected go the board by small flimsy plugs connectors pushed onto tiny metal pins that stick out from the main board.

The front Usb connectors will certainly be like this. If you are brave enough, you could take a look inside, see if you can spot the wires from the Usb socket and track them to the motherboard. If they have become loose or disconnected, you may be able to salvage the situation. Or get some help.

2. If that fails, if you have a smartphone, you can create a gpx fie from basecamp and email it to your phone. The phone can then send it to the XT. It saves a lot of pratting around with Usb cables and waiting for it to connect. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with maps and updates, but the XT can do those over wifi.

Let us know if that method could work for you.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

I tried all 3 USB ports on the computer, none worked with the xt and all worked with my 450. Took my gps to my friends computer and it worked. The xt did Work the first time I tried it when I first got that xt.
My friend thinks the file was to big for my old computer and it times out. When he downloaded it on his computer he emailed it to me. I cleared all information from the gps and will run one trip for a smaller file and see if it worked and not times out. My friend suggested it time to upgrade my computer and while I’m doing that to upgrade my phone. I have an old iPhone 5 and it is unable to load the Garmin app on it. I’m one of these old people that don’t like to change.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

At your friend's house - who's cable did you use ?
Did you kill Garmin Express in Task Manager ?

What version is your Basecamp ? The latest version is 4.7.4
Download the latest from this Garmin site
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/software/basecamp/

This version had two reported fixes, one of which was:
Fixed Zumo connection issue.

Find the version number in the Basecamp Help menu. Select 'About Garmin Basecamp.'

See this link for the update history.
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=4435

In Basecamp, you should see a winow like this on the left hand side.

Zumo Connection 2.jpg
Zumo Connection 2.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Underneath 'Internal Storage' there may be a thin yellow or green line - it is a progress bar. If that line is still there - not fully coloured in, then Basecamp is still getting data from the XT - map data - and it takes it a very long time. You will not be able to do anything with the USB connection until that yellow line disappears. I can't remember if it becomes a green line or whether it disappears or whether there is a small tick that appears on the folder icon. But if that 'hollow' double line is there, it is still working.

As @sussamb said earlier - it does this the first time it encounters new data on the XT. After that it doesn't need to.
If your USB port is working (you said it was), and your cable is correct, and you have disabled Express as described earlier, and you get the Zumo popping up in file manager in Windows. Then you are set to go.

If The Zumo isn't popping up in Windows, then the problem is elsewhere.

Let us know, we have more tricks up our sleeves to help you get this sorted out.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

To answer some of the questions
I’m running windows 7 Home Prem

When you say kill express do you mean close or delete Garmin express ?

When I plug in my Zumo 450 as per pic this is what happens.
CF8B0601-3A65-4C40-AE38-D556C311AC00.jpeg
CF8B0601-3A65-4C40-AE38-D556C311AC00.jpeg (364.85 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
When I plug in the Zumo XT nothing happens at all other than the computer makes a sound (like ding) when you plug it in.
I have left it plugged in for over an hour. And still nothing happens.

The version of basecamp that I have is 4.7.4.

Being the 450 works just fine, I feel it’s a setting in my XT? I’ve looked high and low on all the settings but I see nothing that would apply to this.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - thanks for that.

Did you stop Express from running ?????

SOrry - we have two similar problems running simultaneously. I cannot remember who I said what to !
To kill express, on a PC. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL. A blue screen appears with a menu.
Select Task Manager.

A list of running processes and programs appears.
Scroll down the list and find Garmin Express. (it is made easier if you clcik the heading 'Name' to sort the list into alphabetical order.
Right click on Garmin Express, and select 'End Task'.
Close down the window, and try again with the USB cable.

Have you established that your cable works for synchronisation ????

Lets check out the settings on the XT.
We need to access the System Page
Main Screen -> Click Map -> Click Speed button, bottom left corner.
Press and hold the circular speedo top centre. Keep it pressed for about 10 seconds until the screen changes to show the Daignostic Page.

Click Configuration and Settings
Click MTP Settings
Click MTP Mode (Mass Transfer Protocol)
Make sure that MTP Auto Detect is selected. Not either of the other two,

Save that - and then select Show .System (if you want). When it connects it makes an invisible folder visible. But it has to be able to connect first !!

BAck out of it. Do a cold restart. ie Hold the powere button on the back for as long as it takes to display the 'Turn Off Device ?' message, and click 'Off'.

Then Power it up after a couple of seconds.

Then plug in the cable again.

cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

I went through the GPS as per your instructions and everything was set properly. I went and checked to ensure that express was killed. The only thing running was basecamp and emails. Power down GPS by holding the on and off switch and fired it up and plugged it in. Still getting error message no device connected to basecamp. My computer is running windows 7 home prem and the program say I need a windows 7sp1. I’m thinking it’s time for a new computer. Thanks for the help.
Don’t think there is anything else to try?
Attachments
CC9228EB-8684-4231-BD53-8BB4479B6140.jpeg
CC9228EB-8684-4231-BD53-8BB4479B6140.jpeg (284.35 KiB) Viewed 1003 times