Transfer tracks to basecamp

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
cooper
Canada

Transfer tracks to basecamp

Post by cooper »

When trying to transfer my tracks from my XT I load the program then plug in gps. The gps recognizes the USB connection. Nothing starts transferring automatic like it had in the past. Hooked up my old GPS with the same cord to ensure the cord is OK, it worked perfect. Is there a setting in the XT or on my desktop that could’ve turned off which will prevent the transferring of this information? I click on the transfer icon at the top of basecamp, and a window pops up say it’s not connected?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Transfer tracks to basecamp

Post by sussamb »

Can often take a while for a device to show in BaseCamp. Is it showing in Windows Explorer? Until it does it won't show in BaseCamp
cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

My friend has the same gps as I and came over. I showed him your post and he agreed with it. He had his gps with him and tried his and it worked. So we hooked his up and took a couple minutes but began transferring the info. So when he was here we check for all update and everything thing worked. :D
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Yeah, I've found the necessary patience with Garmin, Base Camp, Garmin Express and device connection. It can take a while. I usually start Base Camp and go off and do something else. Give it some time. Then I'll come back to it and plug in the device and again go off and do something else. Plus, my laptop has multiple usb ports, that confused me for a while. Gotta be plugged into the right one! And I NEVER run Base Camp and Garmin Express at the same time. One or the other. Things can get a little stupid with both running. And I've unticked the "Start Express Automatically" or whatever it's called when the device is attached to my computer. I choose when to connect to GE and I always shut it down prior to using Base Camp. Everything seems to me to work better that way.

Seriously, with the years-long communications debacle with Garmin and Bluetooth I can't imagine trusting Garmin to have a reliable comms setup for running multiple apps at the same time.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

Rainy day so I tried again with no luck, don’t know what I’m doing wrong? Loaded basecamp, then plugged in gps. Gps screen went to the proper screen. Went up stairs for dinner and checked over a hour later and it had not started to down load? Tried my old Zumo 450 and it kicked in proper. Unplugged it, plugged back in the xt. Still no luck. Poured a drink and said piss with it. Not sure what up with it.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You don't say what computer you are using, but since I only have experience with PC and Windows, I'll restrict my suggestions to that.

Kill Express. As Russ said, it doesn't work well with Basecamp. Load task manager - ctrl-alt-del, choose 'Task Manager' and look at the list of programs running. See if Express is one of those and get rid of it - stop it from running. [Edit]Right click on Garmin Express and select 'End Task' from the pop-up menu.[/Edit}

Next, close down Basecamp. Plug in your XT to the USB port. After a couple of minutes, windows should recognise the XT as a new device. It will show up in the same list in File Explorer as your drive letters.

If it doesn't, then Basecamp is not your problem. Try a different cable. The one that came with the Zumo is best. But you probably have hundreds of these cables around. Trouble is, they aren't always fully wired. Some are provided for just charging, you need to use one that is for charging and synchronising.

Once windows recognises you Zumo, start Basecamp. It sometimes takes a ling time to read the maps on the Zumo. Mine hasn't done that for a long time and I don't know why. Whether it only needs to do it the once, or it stopped when I got the XT, or maybe a later Basecamp release. I don't know. But if it us that, in Basecamp there will be a feint yellow progress bar alongside the Zumo Internal Storage in the left hand pane.

Note that nothing actually downloads to the computer or to Basecamp when you connect the XT It is just able to read and display the contents of the XT memory and the SD card. With the tracks, ( I am assuming that you mean the tracks that are created as 'Active Logs' on the XT - but you may be referring to other tracks ?) No matter, the XT will show them in the screen when you select them from the BC left hand pane. If you want them transferred / downloaded to Basecamp, you can drag and drop them into. list. Then they are there for use in Basecamp without connecting the XT.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just to add when connecting a device the delay while loading maps that @jfheath mentions only occurs when BaseCamp needs to index a map on your device so it can display it properly. Once it's done so it shouldn't need to do it again, until you add another map or update an existing one.
cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

Yes lm using windows and when I plug in the xt the window for drive E pops up, so I think the computer knows it is plugged in to E drive. When I plugged in my old gps I update the maps. This seemed to work fine. I click on transfer it said no Garmin plugged in. Last time I had trouble my friend and I finally got it to work and all the information went to the left side under xt file. I did transfer to a new file 2021 tracks that show up all the time.
I will shut off Garmin express off and try it again.
cooper
Canada

Post by cooper »

So I tried again, it looks like the computer recognizes my old Zumo 450, the window pops up saying somethings plugged in the driver E. then I closed everything again and plugged in the XT and nothing happens the GPS screen comes up with the picture of the computer and the cord and that it recognizes it plugged in but my computer doesn’t see it. Not sure why it says one GPS but not the other. As you probably can tell I only know the basics when it comes to computers. Also tried both cords and rebooting my computer.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

How long did you leave it? It can take quite a while for some devices to be recognised by your PC.