Garmin power cable rubber cover

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Garmin power cable rubber cover

Post by Thrasherg »

So hopefully someone here can enlighten me. I just purchased a pair of Zumo XT GPS's (love the GPS) and they came with the power wiring kit plus the square plastic mount (I think its called a hot shoe) that the GPS locks onto (I also bought 2 additional hot shoes and power adapter leads so I can swap the 2 GPS's between 4 motorcycles). The power kit has a 2 pin plug on the end which appears can only be mounted inside the hot shoe (with a single screw) to connect with the GPS, the power lead has a rubber cover to protect the power plug. However once the plug is mounted inside the hot shoe mount with the single screw, there is no way the rubber cover can ever be used? So why supply it? It seems the power lead will not connect to the GPS by itself, so it has to be mounted in the hot shoe, so what is the point of the rubber cover? I have removed them from my 4 mounts, but thought I would ask here in case I have missed something obvious!! Hopefully my question makes some sense.. :D

Cheers Gary
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin power cable rubber cover

Post by jfheath »

Isn't that the one that threads onto the lead - and covers the connectors to protect them from the elements when the XT is not clipped in ?

I so, mine usually dangle around on the cable. I reckon that one day it the cable will wear its way through the rubber and it will disappear and stop annoying me

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

It doesn't thread on, it is looped around the black lead going to the hot shoe, and it is rectangular in shape and can be pushed over the hot shoe plug (If the plug is not mounted in the hot shoe (which it has to be to be used)). I will take a picture and try to add it..

Gary
Last edited by Thrasherg on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

Okay, well I need to eat humble pie!! Having convinced myself there is no way this rubber cover can be used once the power plug is mounted in the hot shoe, I just went and tried it and it does fit quite nicely, so I might have to go and dismount my 4 hot shoe mounts and re-install the rubber boot!!
We live and learn.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_1826 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1826 (Medium).JPG (82.07 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
IMG_1825 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1825 (Medium).JPG (80.55 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

The square hold should have the power lead going through it then you just push the cover over the connector when not in use

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 5DF32.html
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

ZumoXT_08.jpg
ZumoXT_08.jpg (148.93 KiB) Viewed 1156 times