Next turn indicator

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Next turn indicator

Post by Scottnet »

One of the most useful things on a GPS should be the what's happening next info. So I mean top right , Right onto B3456 for example. In many cases I notice I change road and have no indication this was going to happen.

This is another message I sent to support with no response, anyone else have the same issue ( Map is North Europe latest )

------------------------

I am trying to understand why in this example the next turn information, top right, shows to turn on the B3348 in 2 miles when I am on the A327 an the turn onto the B3348 is about 500 yards away. See the first picture. In the second picture you can see I have turned onto the B3348.

So what is missing is the turn onto the B3348 from the A327.

I have reproduced this using the offline mode.

Please let me know if this is not clear.
Attachments
20210903_164028.jpg
20210903_164028.jpg (180.17 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
20210903_164104.jpg
20210903_164104.jpg (184.26 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Re: Next turn indicator

Post by jfheath »

That has got to be a mapping error. My XT does the same thing at the same junction, under simulation.

Turns like that where you expect to receive spoken and text instructions are always accompanied by a white arrow superimposed on the magenta route. There is non. The road appears to be straight on, although the mapping does show a little kink.

I looked on street view - it is most definitely a right hand turn at that junction - you knew that, of course, but others do not.
small junction.png
small junction.png (651.67 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
This sometimes happens with junctions that appear to be straight on. This doesn't show up in either direction for that route, but if you plot your destination north west of the junction on the A327, then that does show up the white arrow, and will give directions.

The mapping has the priorites for that junction wrong. Theres nothing that garmin can do about that. The map providers need to be informed if it is to be corrected. Someone will have a link to it. I'm a bit hampered away from home with just an ipad at present.
IMG_9Sep2021at143718.jpg
IMG_9Sep2021at143718.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

This is why you must always treat your device as a guide as it's not always 100% correct. See here to report map errors

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=p ... OXw5vlRyu5
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

Jheath, thanks for taking the time to validate this, not sure what you mean by Google. If I map a route through that junction on Google maps it gives me a correct turn indicator

This happens so often on routes around my area. If this is mapping errors then the maps are really poor. Of course I look where I am going and having ridden around the world I am able to figure this out. I am just trying to figure why this is so bad.

I have reported soooo many things to Garmin with no luck..
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Scottnet wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:34 pm Jheath, thanks for taking the time to validate this, not sure what you mean by Google.
My apologies - that was a slip of the brain. I meant to say that there is nothing that Garmin can do about the maps - they don't create them. It is better for people who discover the fault to report it direct to the mapping company. Mapping companies rely on this feedback to prompt them to investigate. It gets errors corrected much more quickly. @sussamb provided the link above. Most faults will be due to recent changes, but yours looks as though it has been like that for a while.

Speed limits and junction layouts are changing rapidly these days. Riding round Scotland this last week, many 30 and 40 mph limits have been reduced to 20mph since I was last here just over a year ago. My maps do not show these.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

I doubt this is a map issue. This junction has been like this for 100 years.

If the maps are this rubbish, we are doomed.

I will test this on my 660 tomorrow
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

Tried this using BC with the same map and the turn directions also miss the turn onto the B3348
Recalculated this route using Open street map, and that does show the correct turning to the B3348

So conclusion, it is the map, and the money you pay Garmin for their maps are worse that Open Street map.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That's one example. I've been using Garmins for over 15 years and I've only had to report 3 errors in that time. If you try using OSM mapping you'll have far more issues so don't be so quick to rubbish the Garmin maps.

You could help others by reporting this error.
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

On my last ride, around 100 miles around uk small roads, my estimate is I noticed this issue on around 15 junctions.

What is really annoying is that this specific case works correctly on my 660 with 2012 maps.

This is my email to garmin in their response. I think this is fair What do you think?

‐‐----
Dear Garmin

I am not concerned where you get the maps from. I pay garmin for the maps so I think it's reasonable for you to pass this on.

And how would I know the original error is caused by a map error?

So I go to a lot of trouble to create the reproducible scenario and then I need to do this again on an online form that is very poorly designed.

I am not going to bother and if garmin were in the least interested in improving the product you would have an process to do this.

I have already reported poi errors on that form with no response or results.
----
HarveyM
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times
Canada

Post by HarveyM »

You could try Open street maps on the XT and see if that's a better solution for you.